Raymarine 400g rudder angle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malkamus

I'm hooking up a 400g and my rudder angle wiring is 3 wires but the 400g has 4 wires. I've looked at some others and they are also 3 wire sensors. Does anyone know how to wire it or for some reason does it need a 4 wire angle sensor?

I looked in the manual and it has connections for screen, red, green and blue. What color wires does your have. I am guessing that the screen is some type of shield.

You might try the autopilot without the rudder feedback sensor. I don’t have one installed on my Raymarine autopilot and it works ok as far as I can tell so far. A friend had an autopilot that would make hard turns intermittently and we ended up disconnecting the rudder feedback sensor and it fixed his problem and worked fine without it.

I assume the compass handles steering so the rudder sensor is just extra info? I will certainly try it without. Thanks

It should be 4 connections.

Red, Green, Blue and "Screen". Screen is the shield. It's pretty easy to accidently cut off the shield when stripping the wire. Assuming you have enough slack just very carefully strip back a couple more of inches of insulation.

Attachments

• Raymarine400_RPS.PNG
    Raymarine400_RPS.PNG
    67.1 KB · Views: 22
I will check that too thanks. I had removed the old processor in there and wiring in the 400g the compass was the same other than black instead of a bare shield wire I may pull the aft cabin bed apart and look back at the rudders have not looked since my purchase look over.

When I installed my autopilot last year the manual showed both with and without a rudder sensor.

The install manual for this only has with rudder sensor and ofcourse only raymarine parts.

The manual says swap red and green if it is mounted upside down so they must be the deflection conductors and the other one a ground reference. I would guess with yours of red, white and black that the black would be the ground reference. So maybe try doing the red and white for deflection conductors and the black as the ground and see what happens.

That actually was my thought I was concerned about the missing 4th wire. I am still swapping and moving the box and I still need to get the st7001 control to calibrate. It seems I need that for initial setup. I see nothing in my g series to do set up just to control it after.

Back
Top Bottom