Old 12-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
Guru

City: Anacortes
iPad, AIS and radar

Ran across this and thought it looked interesting. I'm not affiliated with milltech but they do look like a good outfit.
https://www.milltechmarine.com/TIMEZ...adar_b_30.html
sean9c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #2

City: St Petersburg
Vessel Name: Knot Fast
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
What will Garmin offer?

I agree it looks good if u want ipad. I wish Navionics (garmin) would offer their Nav+ for pc with ais and a wifi radar garmin radar. I have read the Furuno wifi radar is pretty minimal. Hard to buy now when the near future may be much better.
Knot Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:14 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Aruna
Vessel Model: Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
I have bought tons of AIS gear from Milltech. I highly recommend them as Doug, the owner, is very customer service focused, and will help you out with any questions or issues.

I've also worked on two boats with the Furuno WiFi radar and have not been impressed. It is great if you don't have a radar now, or want a simple radar, but the resolution is less than I would expect from a Furuno product. Both of those boats used TZ iBoat on the iPad, which is actually not that bad. I run TimeZero on the PC, and the iPad version is a watered down version of that.

For someone who doesn't want to spend $5-10k on a full radar+MFD+AIS setup, the bundle that they're selling is a much cheaper and gives you most of those features.

I myself am finishing up speccing out a brand new complete system for my boat, and considered solutions involving an iPad, but just couldn't see where I wanted to trust my investment to a sub-$1000 device not intended to run for hours and hours in harsh environments, and a WiFi radar

Don't get me wrong - I will still be using an iPad to do most of my planning, and to run TZ and Navionics for reference, but it will be next to my dual PCs and MFDs.
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:16 AM   #4
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Highly recommend Milltech who sold me my Vesper. He will have a substantial booth at Seattle Boat Show this month.
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote