Radar will not transmit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metafora

I'm looking at a boat with Raymarine radar. The survey says the radar will not transmit. Can anyone give me an idea what this might mean in terms of repair cost? *The unit is only a few years old and recently discontinued by Raymarine.*

Thanks.

Could be anything from a loose connector, a blown fuse, a bad display*or a significant failure in the transmitter.* Transmitter repair would entail removing the antenna (where the transmitter resides) and sending it to Raymarine for their flat rate repair service.* Here's their out of warranty repair page:

http://www.raymarine.com/default.aspx?site=1&SECtion=3&page=1080

If you buy the boat then the first thing to do is to check cables, fuses and reseat any circuit boards inside the antenna housing.* Many times it can be as simple as reseating or cleaning a connection.* You will also need to determine if the unit is not transmitting or if the display is not functioning (two different faults).*

Alternatively, you may want to consider upgrading to a new, integrated chart plotter with overlaid radar or a new color radar.

If you decided to pursue the purchase of the boat, you might want to get an estimate from a reputable shop with experience on Raymarine equipment as to what a troubleshoot and repair cost might be. Obviously they will be guessing to a degree since they won't have the radar in their hands to determine the problem.

But if you can get a "probably about $500" or whatever estimate, you could then negotiate a reduction in the boat's price to cover this. We did this on the autopilot that was on the boat we bought that needed "about $500 worth of work" to make it functional. We actually didn't want the autopilot--- we didn't even know the boat had one when we flew to California to inspect and survey it--- and we removed it as soon as we got the boat home to the PNW, but it did provide us an opportunity to drop the purchase price down a little bit.

So if you can do the same thing you can either put the savings toward fixing the radar you have or toward the purchase of a new and better one.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 12th of March 2012 01:20:16 PM

I'd just price a Furuno replacement, and make that a condition of sale. Used boats are going cheap these days. Then if you want to try a repair, good for you. I'm done with Raymarine crap though.

Thank you all for your input. I have decided against the boat for other reasons. So I shall remain happy with my Sabre and my Antique Furuno Radar.

Back
Top Bottom