radar reflectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Active repeaters are very nice. They essentially steal a range gate and broadcast a beacon pulse back to the transmitter. Your RADAR thinks it's gotten a reflected signal from a very large target. Units like the EchoMax can get target returns on the order 100+ sq/meters. That's like a big steel boat.

I believe the Canadian rules require a radar reflector and US inland rules do not

Active Dual Band Reflectors

Active Dual Band Reflectors

Having been told by Dover Coast Guard that my 13m aluminium motor cruiser had an intermittent echo, after complaining about a near miss,being waked by a ferry heading for Dover at 20 knots in less than 100m visibility, I have taken a keen interest in the preceding discussion. Echomax and Sea-Me both make dual band active reflectors at the somewhat eye-watering price of about £650. Anyone care to comment on service response or reliability from either company as technically the two units appear to be almost identical?

Thank you

Phillip Carr

TSDY TOPIC

Portland

The Surplus folding WWII reflector should be about $10.

Will work till you decide you require something active and expensive.

I'm not sure if people aren't picking up a 13m aluminum vessel that a radar reflector active or passive is gonna help them see you.....:eek:

What's the reason that most boats like ours do not have radar reflectors. Is it because there is more mass higher above the water providing a larger target, so not as necessary or because of the lack of a good location to put it.?

Fresh from the factory, our boats don't have many of the things they might need once they are put into service. Two of my previous boats came without anchors or VHF transceivers. The one I have now was previously owned so I suppose the PO equipped it with what he thought would make him safe. There's actually a folding radar reflector about one foot in diameter. It's not installed, it's just stored. I suppose I should install it but I don't have a good place to put it. No mast, etc.

I suppose I should install it but I don't have a good place to put it. No mast, etc.

Mine is "installed" in the flybridge cowling, forward of the helm. There's a ton of space up there, but I don't want to fill it with anything that will change the center of gravity too much.

Mine is "installed" in the flybridge cowling, forward of the helm. There's a ton of space up there, but I don't want to fill it with anything that will change the center of gravity too much.
That's a thought. I'll take a look next time I'm at the boat. Come to think of it, I have a 20lb propane tank up there. Wouldn't that be a radar reflector of sorts?

We're only 26 feet. We have a cheap simple stowable Davis radar reflector which we keep mounted in the catch rain position on our cabin roof, not many feet above the water, and lower than our radar dome and some other stuff. I'd say those reflector angles and that catch rain position do matter.

We've had more than one comment that our boat shows up better than many. Once in fairly thick fog, heading east on the north side of Icy Strait, we were hailed by a cruise ship about 4nm behind us. They saw us ahead on radar and wanted to know what our intentions were. We agreed to pull over further toward the side, and they passed us heading down the middle of the channel, then turned in front of us into the mouth of Glacier Bay. We were happy to have been seen.

I had similar results to Richard with my inexpensive reflector that I bought at the commercial fishing supply store. The fishermen mount these on their buoys, in the diamond position, which is how I mounted it (before I knew better.)

Everyone who I asked said my 29' express cruiser showed up on radar like a much bigger vessel. I'm a huge believer in this style (diamond shaped) reflector, and expect it to work even better higher up on my flybridge and in the "catch rain" orientation.

I figure if it's good enough for people who make a living locating their gear, it's good enough for me.

Have one, and have never been run down at night. When rough it can keep you from being lost in sea clutter.

Attachments

• 100_2104.jpg
    100_2104.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 69
I have operated my 37ft trawler in B.C. waters for the last 6 summers. I have never had anyone ask me about a reflector. It is in their rules, though.

The PO installed a radar reflector on my boat. I asked him about that and he said that the Canadian Coast Guard had given him a hard time about not having one, so he added one.

I think propane tanks would work OK given the larger radius. I have three tanks on the bridge.

I wonder if the active reflectors work with the Navico broadband radars. I suspect not as there's not a big-bang to trigger them.

Have you ever been out at night in order to have been run down?

I was just making the point that the post I replied to was not a very scientific test. In a light hearted manner, I hope.

I have run a few times in the dark but I have anchored all night many times. I use an anchor light, a bright LED light. And I don't anchor in a shipping channel. Or any channel for that matter.

I don't have or need a separate radar reflector. My steel boat is a ready-built radar reflector. :dance:

"I don't have or need a separate radar reflector. My steel boat is a ready-built radar reflector."

Really ? I don't see many surfaces that are 90deg from each other.

The requirement for great radar reflection.

On a smooth night the hull may paint fine , but when the waves are bigger than the free board , you may be really hard to spot.

You're kidding, aren't you FF? Above the hull there are a lot of metallic right-angles, like the superstructure corners and roofs, door and window frames, and various fitting along and atop the mast. Lots more than the usual "rinky-dink" radar reflectors used on plastic boats.

img_149213_0_d8d0d65d3dd88d6c651bc132f58625f9.jpg

I have been on the water with The Coot a few times. She always throws a huge target. A few weeks ago I had to grab my binoculars to be sure I wasn't seeing a tanker!

Back
Top Bottom