Quick Battery Equalizing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Hey everyone.

We went and anchored out last weekend for the first time in several years... three I think... (don’t ask... North Carolina hurricanes and other stuff) Anyway, our eight, 6V lead acid batteries are about five years old and have really never been off charge for very long, nor have they been depleted more than a few percent over a single night at anchor. We have a 60A Sterling charger with a temp sensor and it mostly keeps a float charge on it as we are only weekend warriors.

As I said, we anchored out last week and we had an issue with the davit crane dropping the voltage so low that the breaker popped as we were lifting the dinghy back in place. The Victron shows only 12.2 (60% SOC) with only a few lights on, so I think the batteries need replacing.

My question is this: I was going to head to the boat tomorrow-ish and was going to do a 12-hour resting voltage test. Can I equalize the batteries BEFORE the test? If I opt to equalize, do I need to wait longer before I do a test or do I need to let them rest longer than overnight?

Honestly, I don’t mind replacing them, there are only 8 and I have an inexpensive golfcart store on the way to New Bern where I can replace them for about $1000. Still, I don’t want to replace them if I don’t have to... it just seems weird that they have lived such a sheltered life and are now bad for no specific reason.

Thanks!
Tom-

I'd follow the instructions in the Sterling manual and equalize them first. Make sure they are topped up with water. Have you measured them with a hydrometer? Measured the amp draw of the davit (could be a motor or wiring issue).?

How has the water use been over the years?

I'd follow the instructions in the Sterling manual and equalize them first. Make sure they are topped up with water. Have you measured them with a hydrometer? Measured the amp draw of the davit (could be a motor or wiring issue).?

I have not measured the draw of the davit motor, but if it matters, it does work fine when we are plugged into shore power.

Good idea about the hydrometer. I have one down there and will see what it reads.

I no longer have wet cells but when I did one of the first things I would do is use that hydrometer, not the mickey mouse floating ball type but a good one.
Last time it was used was to help a dockmate figure out why he was having trouble starting his engines. Made him go down and check all cells of both starting batteries.
Both had 1 dead cell. Voltage showed fine with just the DMM but under load they failed.
THe dead cells were the last straw.

The other way is to test for Vdrop under a serious load.

I would equalize them and wait the prescribed time and check them with a good hydrometer. Then you will likely go buy new ones... hope not though.

I no longer have wet cells but when I did one of the first things I would do is use that hydrometer, not the mickey mouse floating ball type but a good one.
Last time it was used was to help a dockmate figure out why he was having trouble starting his engines. Made him go down and check all cells of both starting batteries.
Both had 1 dead cell. Voltage showed fine with just the DMM but under load they failed.
THe dead cells were the last straw.

The other way is to test for Vdrop under a serious load.

What is a good-quality hydrometer? I'd like to ditch my floating ball hydrometer and upgrade.

"The other way is to test for Vdrop under a serious load."

Its a simple wiring job to use an installed V meter wired to the starter motor to have a check of the start system with every engine start.

Back
Top Bottom