propylene glycol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hey Guys,

I am installing a raymarine in hull transducer. The instructions say to use 2.4 ounces of propylene glycol in the base. What the heck is propylene glycol? From my searches it seems to be an ingredient in coolant? Where can I get it?

I've also heard of using mineral oil. Thoughts?

Thanks

Hey Guys,

I am installing a raymarine in hull transducer. The instructions say to use 2.4 ounces of propylene glycol in the base. What the heck is propylene glycol? From my searches it seems to be an ingredient in coolant? Where can I get it?

I've also heard of using mineral oil. Thoughts?

Thanks

Looks like you can buy it pretty inexpensively on Amazon.

We used mineral oil in ours.

The "safe" marine & RV antifreezes use propylene glycol & water, rather than the ethylene glycol used for standard antifreeze.

Propylene glycol is used for transducers because it has almost the same density as seawater so it minimises any error in the depth reading. Ethelene glycol is slightly heavier.

I sat mine in silicone sealant as advised by Garmin. Issue was getting it level so it wasn`t firing signals at an angle. It takes longer than my thru hull transducer initially finding the bottom, once it has it`s fine. My old IG has no provision for "shoot thru the hull"transducers, I had to find a way without cutting another hole, only buying Garmin after Garmin said I could run both GPS/Sounders off one transducer,which you can`t.

I've used just water. Works fine. Might have to top it up if running in rough stuff, and due to evaporation.

Pretty cheap, too. Amazon probably has it.

Greetings,
Mr. Dc. IF there is no chance of the fluid freezing you can use water as evidenced by Mr. S. We used mineral oil in ours and it's readily available at any drug store. Ethylene glycol is basically RV anti-freeze, as mentioned.

I've used just water. Works fine. Might have to top it up if running in rough stuff, and due to evaporation.

Pretty cheap, too. Amazon probably has it.

Isn't it amazing how you can find anything you need on the internet?

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'll start with water, no chance of freezing down here.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom