Programming victron ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STB

Guru
Hey,

A friend just bought a Victron Multi 12/3000/120 and is urgently trying to get it installed. The adapter to connect it to a PC was not also purchased and there isn't shipping time.

Is there a way to set this up for lithium without?

For example, can a generic RS485 to USB adapter be used, etc?
If so, anyone know the rj45 pin out?

Thanks!

As far as I know, without the MK3 to USB adapter, you can only configure what's available with the dip switches.

Hey,

A friend just bought a Victron Multi 12/3000/120 and is urgently trying to get it installed. The adapter to connect it to a PC was not also purchased and there isn't shipping time.

Is there a way to set this up for lithium without?

For example, can a generic RS485 to USB adapter be used, etc?
If so, anyone know the rj45 pin out?

Thanks!

For an installation of a single unit you can do pretty much everything (I think) from the front panel of the display unit, or enough to get the multi powered up while waiting for the cable.

I cannot imagine a multi installation that does not also utilize a remote display.

If you have any of their GX display devices, you can connect that device to the VRM portal (their online tracking website) and program it remotely through that, but that assumes you have one of those too :)

All that stuff is available from PKYS, overnight if really needed. I'd strongly recommend one of the GX devices (the (Cherbo is the latest and best), but in lieu of that you should get the smart Bluetooth dongle. That will allow you to program and monitor the system from their Victron Connect app for your smart phone.

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much. He has ordered something via Amazon for delivery tomorrow ahead of his Sunday departure. I sort of wish he'd showed me what he'd ordered first, or ordered it from a full service dealer. But, with luck, he'll get it and install it tomorrow and head off cruising the world on Sunday. Makes me nervous, but I guess we've all had our schedule vs reality moments...

I’m not sure if the remote panels program or just take over entirely (such that if you unplugged them the unit itself would take over again). But in any case, I do recommend the remote controllers for multiple reasons.

I know when I programmed via dongle, that when I plugged in my remote, I had to program that again.

Unlike a IC like a Magnum what you can do on the remote panel is limited even with a GX attached. You have to go through the web or use a Mk3 USB as others have said.

You can set virtually everything with Victron Connect on your cell phone. It does not disappear when you disconnect. There are a very few things you cannot set with a Color GX, but I think you can set everything with the Cherbo.

USB to Rs485.JPG

There is a FB Group “Victron Energy User Group” which is a very good guide to what will and won’t do what with Victron Systems. Helpful people too with accurate and correct info.

Hi all,

Just to close out the thread, Amazon delivered the USB interface for the Victron today, the password to program it was "zzz" and it worked like a charm.

There was no way to program it without an external interface ir panel and, apparently for budget reasons, my neighbor had bought neither. DIP switches control very little.

Thabks again!

Back
Top Bottom