Priority electronics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From my recent delivery, Port Hardy to Kitimat, where the boat was equipped with most of the items on the OP's list, what I would have missed, had it not been present, in order:
GPS/plotter
Radar
Sounder
Autopilot
Wind Instruments (it was a sailboat, after all)
VHF
Epirb
didn't have, didn't need:AIS, remote camera
had, that I miss now that I am back to my own boat: Stabilized binoculars
had, not a priority:InReach, Satphone

VHF, GPS and Plotter, Autopilot, Depth Sounder, Radar, AIS, Remote Camera, Wind Instrument, EPIRB.

All coastal/inland boating for me. Lots of boats and fog isn’t infrequent. I don’t have a wind indicator but would really like one. I do have a camera facing the rear which is very helpful at times on my boat and I would like to add another camera on my starboard side facing aft. I love my AIS receiver and really want to get a transceiver.

What would be your order of priority of the following:

Autopilot
GPS and Plotter
Depth Sounder
VHF radio
EPIRB / PLB
AIS
Wind Instruments
Radar
Remote Camera(s)

In my case I would choose:

1. VHF
  2. EPIRB
  3. GPS & Plotter
  4. Depth Sounder
  5. Autopilot
  6. Wind Instruments
  7. Radar
  8. AIS
  9. Remote Camera

I would have to place a compass and handheld VHF on this list, well ahead of autopilot, wind instruments, AIS and cameras

I assume that every boat has a magnetic compass and we all have at least a good idea of what the magnetic deviation is for our area. So I wouldn’t consider that an electronic device (although mine does light up at night). I have a handheld VHF and have rarely used it although I have carried it with me at times when away from the boat.

Binoc! Yes!

Include that in my previous "Minimum:"

And I'm not excited about paper charts. At any given time and not counting smartphones, we've got 5 different sources for displaying 6 electronic charts (2 raster, 3 vector)... haven't needed paper in years. Yes, electronics can fail... but haven't yet.

Binoculars are important as well. I have three pair on the boat. However, I don’t consider them electronics, even if a couple do have batteries.

I look at my paper charts about 1/2 the time I’m out on the boat. Old habits from the days when the only tools I had were charts, binoculars, and compass. I’m not that old it is just that we were that poor. Still, not electronics.

Really, the only thing that would keep me at the dock in clear weather would be the lack of a VHF.

This is what I cruise with, no particular order:

VHF
Chart plotter on laptop
Bottom machine
Stand alone radar
Autopilot

On short trips the laptop stays home, no need for it.

My minimums are everything the makes the trip significantly safer or more enjoyable. I put autopilot in the latter category. Driving by hand is no fun. Everything else on the list is a necessity except wind instruments and remote camera. But I would add to the list:
1. A wholly-redundant VHF;
2. Sat Phone
3. If traveling at night, FLIR
4. Handheld VHF with GPS

And I know its not electronics, but I would also want a life raft.

OK guys.

As far as the priority of navigation gear is.

1. I have to know how deep the water is.
2. I have to know exactly where i am
3. I have to have the means to call for help

On my boat I have full redundancy of those systems. There is no single point of failure that will leave me without all three in my opinion critical systems.
I will not leave port with even a backup system having failed.

As far as the qualifications to make these statements, well, like many here I will not even discuss that except to say that many here including myself speak from a position reflecting decades of sea time covering tens of thousands of sea miles.

OK guys.

As far as the priority of navigation gear is.

1. I have to know how deep the water is.
2. I have to know exactly where i am
3. I have to have the means to call for help

I agree 100%

Though I boated for a long time with depth sounder, compass, charts and VHF, I do'nt know what I would do now without my radar, autopilot and chartplotter.

VHF radio
GPS and Plotter (5)
Radar
Depth Sounder (3)
Autopilot
AIS (4)
EPIRB / PLB (1)
Remote Camera(s)
Wind Instruments (2)

(1) EPIRB would be just above or below VHF if "coastal cruising" included being out of areas without good cellular coverage and good communication with other boaters and coast guard by VHF
(2) These would be higher than remote cameras if this were about sailboats or if the autopilot didn't have the modern capability to mostly figure out the impact of windage from course error, rudder feedback, etc.
(3) I had a really hard time deciding between depth sounder and radar. My answer would depend on the quality and stability of charts in my area, the liklihood of running at night or in the fog, etc.
(4) I had a hard time deciding between AIS and autopilot. I'd have put AIS higher in a case of areas where there is a ton of traffic with transceivers, and Autopilot higher in cases where cruises are extended and it really reduces fatigue versus short travels in crowded waters where hand steering is more common, anyway.
(5) I can see the argument to put GPS and plotter above VHF for areas with known-good cell coverage. But, I just won't go out without one. And, for me, these days, that means VHF+DSC (with GPS). In familiar waters, I'd be willing to go out without GPS or plotter -- I won't need it. But, without communications? That's trouble.

I agree with the others here who have written, essentially, that a basic package is now cheap enough that there is most often little reason to go out without redundant communications, GPS-based navigation, and depth. As for as radar, that depends in my mind on climate, weather tolerance, night tolerance, etc.

Having said that, my boat does not yet have redundant depth, unless one counts charted depth (or a string and weight, which I've never used), or looking at the color and character of the water.

I'll probably add it at some point, but, I guess I can say that I am very conservative about depth and try really hard to keep water under the boat and stay along the beaten path. So, redundancy there has been less of a priority for me.

One nice thing about a lead weight on a line is that in areas where the nature of the bottom is not well charted, you can wax the weight and get a pretty good idea of what the sea floor is made of.

To me the most important electric device is the Starter Motor.

With a starter a circumnavigation is possible .

My order would be slightly different:

1. Depth Sounder
  2. GPS & Plotter
  3. VHF
  4. Radar
  5. EPIRB
  6. AIS
  7. Autopilot
  8. Wind Instruments
  9. Remote Camera

Depth is critical to boating here on the mid-Atlantic water. Thus accurate charts via chart plotter following a close second. VHF really isn't optional. I'd venture an EPIRB really isn't either, but it's lower on my list of importance. Fog is similarly less of an issue for our boating but Radar is useful for night traveling. AIS is nice but quite a lot of boats don't send it. We have enough obstacles in the waters to make extended use of autopilot less likely. Wind data is optional. Cameras are a nice extra, especially if you need them for docking. But they're low on my list.

That's interesting, I just realized I left off autopilot and it would be in my top 5 or 6. We've boated alot in the Mid Atlantic area and used the autopilot extensively. I always had the remote at hand for dodging exercises as needed.

That's interesting, I just realized I left off autopilot and it would be in my top 5 or 6. We've boated alot in the Mid Atlantic area and used the autopilot extensively. I always had the remote at hand for dodging exercises as needed.
Trouble is nitwits around here seem to use them with ONE waypoint, far in the distance, and do NOTHING to accommodate other boaters. Blast right through boats anchored for fishing or within yards of other boats. We're starting here, and going there... ONE way point. Instead of dropping a few interim points to stay in channels or route around known fishing spots. Nope, all about them, screw everyone else 'in their way'.

Not a fault of autopilots.

Auto pilots can be used in multiple ways such as course hold or track.

Thus the reason many without a lot of experience with APs don't "get it".

Last edited:

Attachments

• thanks captain obvious.jpg
    thanks captain obvious.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 195
A little throttle will turn your boat easily without adding any real speed. Once you learn how to use the throttle effectively you won't really need the thruster. I have a single engine with a small rudder and don't have or need a thruster. It is easy to turn my boat 360 degrees in its own length. Patience is also useful. Of course over 50 years boat handling experience helps too.
Definitely on target. Our Defever44 came with a bow thruster. I rarely use it to dock any more. It did come in very handy in some locks doing the Loop last year to keep the bow from swinging out when a lock is first being filled or emptied.

Well, yeah...
Not so obvious on TF .. with AP pushback all the time. Even now in another thread.

Page 5 - http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/average-daily-distance-45565-5.html#post786419

What's even more obvious?...... people cruising along through fleets of boats on AP with little regard to them.

Even though there are a ton of Chesapeake Bay arrogant sailors and trolling fisherman who exceed their "stand on" privileged well beyond the Navrules.

Be cute, I expect no less.

Last edited:
A little throttle will turn your boat easily without adding any real speed. Once you learn how to use the throttle effectively...
It's true that SOME boats handle low speed situations better than others. Due to a whole range of variable.

It's also true that most operators (let's not dress it up and call them 'captains') never get enough time to really learn how to truly make effective use of their boat's abilities.

Thus thrusters are a welcome option. They can help take an otherwise stressful experience like docking and make it less so.

Nothing replaces really getting to know your boat and how to really maneuver it, but that doesn't always happen.

Thus thrusters are a welcome option. They can help take an otherwise stressful experience like docking and make it less so.
That's really the point as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention that having a Newbie in the slip next to you with a bow thruster allows you to relax a little while watching his landing.:angel:

I've spent quite a bit of time studying various member posts to this question & thinking about my present equipment on board. Conclusion: I agree with twistedtree's list.

I also agree.

To me, #1 is actually a group of devices for any sort of cruising. They are like heart, lung, brain. You need them all, and without one you are dead. Now of course you won't die without these things on your boat, but I consider them minimum equipment.

So my group 1, must have minimum equipment would be:

GPS and Plotter
Depth Sounder
VHF radio

Then is priority order, and this might vary based on where you cruise...

Radar
Autopilot
EPIRB / PLB
AIS
Wind Instruments
Remote Camera(s)

I think the only things on the list that I would consider "optional" would be Wind and Remote Cameras.

Back in the good old days of the 1980s, I owned a 35 foor Dufour. All we had was a knot meter, Apparent wind indicator, depth sounder, compass and a vhf radio. We sailed to Jamaica, Bermuda and more trips the the Bahamas that I can recall.

Its all what youre comfortable with... back then, we didnt have GPS and Loran was PFM... Pure F"n magic... that was too expensive for the average sailor.

My current boat comes with GPS, Depthsounder, compass and two VHF radios... I wish I could find a reasonably priced{spelled CHEAP}Knotmeter to measure speed through the water to help me trim sails better...

If the muck hit the fan, it would be:

Compass
Depth Sounder
Radar

This makes sense to me. I have compass, 2 depth finders, 2 radios, GPS, and autopilot (legacy corded). Want to add radar and EPIRB.

Last edited:
Brusky 1000,

Another Bluewater!

How about a post in the Bluewater Trawler section about your Bluewater, it's history, equipment etc.

Pictures would be a plus.

Bluewater owners in the PNW are gathering info about the Bluewaters and info about yours would be appreciated.

Hi sjyos,
Let me get through the next 3 days with my expert witness work (affidavit and 2 depositions) and I'll get lots of pics and information up. I have every installation and operating manual for every system installed on this great boat including the original warranty papers for the twin Lehmans. I think there have only been three owners of Monarch III since 1978. I am no. 4 since 2016. She is in great shape, interior really fine. I'm currently having exterior topside redone with painting and brightwork refinished. Only a couple of soft spots being repaired on pilothouse top and Portuguese bridge deck. Most importantly....have ice machine. ha ha!

Bruce

Top 3: Compass, laptop/gps w/ Coastal Explorer, Radar.
Recently took the boat from the slip to New Orleans, early morning shove off in dense fog. No problem on the river, just stay near the trees. Leaving the river into Lake Maurepas, visibility maybe 100 ft. Now its time for total trust in the above Top 3 and it worked out just fine. Check the bearing to next mark on CE, line up the compass and pay attention. Radar watching out for traffic. Out of the fog appears I-55 bridge right where its supposed to be, then down Pass Manchac (staying in sight of the shore) and into Lake Ponchartrain. By then sun is up and bright but still heavy fog, though easy enough to see crab trap buoys. I had a great time on that 6 hour run, and learned a lot, as in trust your instruments.
VHF, depth finder always turned on, PLB attached to life jacket. Auto pilot not working at the time of this trip which was one of several reasons for the trip.

Hi sjyos,
Let me get through the next 3 days with my expert witness work (affidavit and 2 depositions) and I'll get lots of pics and information up. I have every installation and operating manual for every system installed on this great boat including the original warranty papers for the twin Lehmans. I think there have only been three owners of Monarch III since 1978. I am no. 4 since 2016. She is in great shape, interior really fine. I'm currently having exterior topside redone with painting and brightwork refinished. Only a couple of soft spots being repaired on pilothouse top and Portuguese bridge deck. Most importantly....have ice machine. ha ha!

Bruce

That would be great!

We need more content in the Bluewater cas section.

To me, #1 is actually a group of devices for any sort of cruising...

So my group 1, must have minimum equipment would be:

GPS and Plotter
Depth Sounder
VHF radio...

I’ve structured my reply for “electronic” instruments at the helm. Binoculars, paper charts and compass are not electronic.

From my cruising experience, I’d rather have radar over depth. If I was stuck in the fog in central coast with a host or sporties around me, I’d want GPS/Plotter, radar and VHF...and try and head for a safe anchorage where depth is least concern. I really want radar for collision avoidance.

Damn! And a horn!

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom