POWER Question!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rick instead of attacking people's employment that you do not agree with you, how about if you explain in technical terms, since you are a marine professional, how you would convert the electrical outlets from a two wire 220 V phase to neutral European system to a 120 V three wire phase to neutral American system without bringing in an additional wire.

Also could you explain how a 220 V refrigerator compressor is going to run on 120 V phase to neutral power. Thanks

To say nothing of the grounding issues...

Remember folks... bad grounding CAN and HAS killed.

Some outlets have only two connections just like an American ungrounded plug and socket. One side becomes the neutral, the other is hot.

Not all branch circuits require the magic "15 Amps" you keep harping about. If you had ever been on a European built boat you would never have posted the nonsense you did.

Two notes:

1) Installing ungrounded sockets is against every electrical code in North America. For a very good reason, so that ground faults can't kill you.

2) European boats, with 220 volt circuits, don't need 10 amp branch circuits. The can get away with 10 amp circuits, since 10 amps @ 220 supplies 2200 watts. If you are running 110, you need 15 amps just to get 1650 watts. Yes, you can put in branch circuits of less than 15 amps, but for myself at least I try and design with best practices in mind. 15 amp for branch circuits, 20 amp or 15 amp split in the galley. It's the best idea in the long run.

To start, the "standard" Euro style outlet has 3 wires, two for power and one ground. The ground is a ground and one of the wires can become a neutral.

OK, that sounds great. Most of my reading about european power has indicated a 2 wire system.

Some outlets have only two connections just like an American ungrounded plug and socket. One side becomes the neutral, the other is hot.

2 wire outlets are not legal in America. Money says they are not ABYC compliant either.

There are as many "standard" plugs and sockets as there are EU members, no single blanket statement covers them all.

Not all branch circuits require the magic "15 Amps" you keep harping about. If you had ever been on a European built boat you would never have posted the nonsense you did.

Rick I never even once mentioned amperage. Not in my question to you, and not in any other post in this thread.

You could, of course based on wire size install smaller than 15 amp breakers but that is just shoddy workmanship. There is probably a ABYC standard that prohibits it, but its irrelevant since I wouldn't do it anyway.

If you can't figure out the refrigerator issue then I sure can't help you. You are the one who came here pretending to be a marine electrical expert.

Rick I never came here pretending to be a marine electrician. I am an electrical professional, and my skills wether you beleive it or not do apply directly to "toy boats" here in the USA, but I do not claim to know everything about marine electrical systems, especially foreign systems.

I'll just come right out and say it. If someone doesn't agree with what you say, or in my case just questions what you say, instead of presenting logical facts, you demonstrate a behavior of attacking them personally. In doing this, you proclaim yourself to be the expert, but you do not present substance to that claim.

In this case your advice could lead to someone being hurt or killed. You might consider what you post. Yes I know you have a long history in the marine industry, but you are not the only source of knowledge. There are other smart, experienced, and educated people here too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom