Power from 30a outlet to 50a boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A GFI will help keeping you from being electrocuted if a unit in the boat has a problem.

It may also help not dump electric in the water to get swimmers.

A surge protector is what is required if lightning strikes or side strikes coming aboard in the power hose is the fear.

Siemens

FirstSurge Plus 100kA Whole House Surge Protection Devicehttps://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens...ction-Device-FS100/206560186#customer_reviews

Questions & Answers (9)

• Let's you know you are protected via LED's & audible alarm
  • Surge current capacity sized for where you live
  • FirstSurge protects any 120/240V branded load center

$169.74 /each

I don't actually know what an isolation transformer does... or why...

-Chris

Well, it electrically isolates the boat from the dock electricity. There is no direct connection. The magnetic field from the primary winding (shore power) induces a current in the secondary winding (the boat). It might help to look up "transformer" on the Internet.

Depending on the transformer it can also raise or lower the voltage or keep it the same.

You might consider an isolation transformer as an electrically powered generator. As such it uses shore power to generate a separate (isolated) power source on the boat.

Two examples, the shore power is 240 v European, unusable on most North American boats, but my isolation transformer can operate on 240 v European and generate 240 v North American (can't change the hertz however).

A North American marina's power supply is too small for its needs so it is sending out 208 v and not 240 v to its shore power posts. The isolation transformer with the boost feature can use the 208 v power and output 240 power (although smaller amps).

A GFI will help keeping you from being electrocuted if a unit in the boat has a problem.

It may also help not dump electric in the water to get swimmers.

A surge protector is what is required if lightning strikes or side strikes coming aboard in the power hose is the fear.

Good, got that, but those seem to be all about AC; the glitches I noticed were in a couple of the DC electronics products...

Well, it electrically isolates the boat from the dock electricity. There is no direct connection.

You might consider an isolation transformer as an electrically powered generator. As such it uses shore power to generate a separate (isolated) power source on the boat.

Two examples, the shore power is 240 v European, unusable on most North American boats, but my isolation transformer can operate on 240 v European and generate 240 v North American (can't change the hertz however).

A North American marina's power supply is too small for its needs so it is sending out 208 v and not 240 v to its shore power posts. The isolation transformer with the boost feature can use the 208 v power and output 240 power (although smaller amps).

Got it, thanks, guys.

I think this is leading to "nifty to have" but not earth-shattering without. I can put it into my "maybe someday" list -- along with the bow thruster :) -- to see if it ever bubbles up to the top of my wallet.

-Chris

"Wait, if the shore power is 30A, then there's a 30A breaker somewhere ashore. Pull more than that and you trip the breaker, not melt the wire."

Loads of current is used during the heating season.The usual time for burnt plugs.

CB are temp and load sensitive so a heating load on a 30A CB on a freezing dock may not pop till 35A or 40A is reached.

If the boat is wired for 50A 240V the breakers inside the warm boat wont pop till the 50A limit is past for a while.

Once you find what you are going to use look on Ebay or Craigslist, I see them all the time.

Back
Top Bottom