Old 06-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #1

City: Bradenton
Wiring question

I am in a 27 ft ocean master center console with a Steyr Diesel engine. My issue is that when we are running on a plane and hit a bigger wave and therefore a bigger bounce, the engine looses rpm for an instant and then goes back to the same rpm within a second. The mechanic says that he can’t think of an explanation from the engine side of it, but thinks that it may be a wiring issue under the console where there may be something coming loose when the bump happens. Thoughts? Also, how do I secure all that wiring? It is kind of hanging from the back side of the console...not fastened to anything.

Jack.
plynhky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. All wiring on a boat should be secured every 18”. That is the standard per ABYC. Go to Home Depot and buy a big bag of black zip ties. Get some that have holes in the end and some that don’t have holes. Then start securing the wiring. With the ties that have holes you can screw to something solid to secure the wiring. Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Does the engine truly loose rpm or does the gauge just flutter from the bounce. I can’t see how a wave bump would cause a Diesel engine to change rpms. You can’t trust your ears as sound waves are more affected by a wave bump than a Diesel engine would be.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:24 PM   #4

The engine actually shuts off for a second....but comes back on by itself and is at the same rpm as before it hesitated....
Old 06-25-2020, 11:37 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
That sounds like the fuel shut off solenoid is momentarily engaging. That could be caused by a loose wire or connection. Do you have a kill button or do you kill the engine bY turning off the key switch.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:41 AM   #6

City: St. Petersburg
I am a marine electrician, not a diesel mechanic so this is a guess...could the prop be coming out of the water, starting to overspeed and the ECU shuts down the engine to save the engine from perceived destruction?
Old 06-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #7
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
I am a marine electrician, not a diesel mechanic so this is a guess...could the prop be coming out of the water, starting to overspeed and the ECU shuts down the engine to save the engine from perceived destruction?
I agree with this.....providing it’s an electronically controlled engine. Sort of a rev limiter type thing.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
Guru

City: West Coast
How long does the engine stay off? Can you estimate a number of revolutions? Is it always the same, or is there a correleation to wave size (bigger wave means off longer)? When you say "off" do you mean no ignition (this is a diesel engine, right), or is there merely a loss of rpms?
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #9

It is off for about one second. The prop is not leaving the water. It is a mercury dual prop outdrive. I think it is a loose connection somewhere, trying to find it is the challenge.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #10

City: St. Petersburg
Post #9: With this info, I agree, it is more than likely a poor connection in a harness connector (corrosion, loose pin, bad pin to conductor crimp, etc.). Physically shaking everything should duplicate the problem.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #11

I was looking under the console and actually found a wire that was not well seated on the back side of the key switch. I think that might have been the issue. The wire was in place but not secure. I was able to push it back up to secure it....now just need to look for some waves to hit .....
Old 06-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #12
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Automotive crap wiring. Better get busy with a crimper and some ring terminals and replace all those spade-things and get some marine switches. Pretty silly that a cheap electrical connector can kill your boat. Exciting to be way out there, dead in the water because it's rough!

Might check to see if the builder bothered to use tinned wire too.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by plynhky View Post
I was looking under the console and actually found a wire that was not well seated on the back side of the key switch. I think that might have been the issue. The wire was in place but not secure. I was able to push it back up to secure it....now just need to look for some waves to hit .....

If that wire was the RUN terminal that would do it. Consider recrimping the crimps with a good crimper.

Take Xsbank's suggestion into account also.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
No matter what you find that is actually causing your problem and fix it, you should secure all the wiring so it isn’t moving all over the place. It should be secured every 18”. So fix the problem and then secure your wiring, it will pay off in the long run.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote