Portable Surge Protector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
In the RV world, many have some kind of surge protection, either built in or portable. Yet when I walk the marinas, I see pretty much zero portable surge protectors.

I have something like the portable surge protector in the link, my question is, to me, it seems so obvious to use one, yet no one is, is there something I don't know about them that negatively impacts a boat? I have one I have used with my Winnebago 32 motorhome, I am thinking of using it on my boat.

https://www.amazon.ca/Surge-Guard-4...ocphy=9001446&hvtargid=pla-490925354822&psc=1

We have a surge protector for our RV, but have never really even thought about having one on the boat. Maybe there aren’t as many surges in marinas???

Maybe there aren’t as many surges in marinas???

I suspect the reverse to be true, on average I suspect better wiring at RV parks. Just easier to maintain. In my old home in Deep Cove, North Vancouver, we had a bad surge in our house from a storm, took out some electronics. When I renovated my current home in Qualicum Beach, I had an in house surge protector added, we have lots of power outages here because of all the wind storms we get. Another one tomorrow.

Even tied to shore power none of my critical electronics use 110v, they are all 12VDC more or less protected from surges by the batteries. I guess the battery charger and TV are exposed but the TV is on a surge protected power strip.

Tom

Most of my electronics and electrical are 12 volt, however my Victron smart charger isn't cheap, my water heater is partially AC and I have two heaters, lower watts (one for engine room area). So the surge protector is roughly $100 + (I bought a good one in 2016 but I can't remember exactly how much) and could protect a smart charger and other smaller goodies. But it isn't just the charger but the installation of a new one, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom