Portable generator for charging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schrater

Vessel Name
Matilda
Vessel Make
Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
I don’t have a genset, and so I’ve been thinking about getting a portable gas generator for auxiliary AC when on the hook for longer than a day. Besides just running an extension cord and powering 110V appliances directly, could a standard shore power cable (with adapter) be plugged into a small portable gas generator for recharging the boat’s battery bank? What would be the required output? Is the full 30A a requirement?

Have seen it done a number of times. Amperage requirement would be based on your needs. Without air conditioning, a 2 to 3 KW generator might be all you need. Would just get the appropriate adapter for the shore power cord. You will probably need to switch some loads on and off. The water heater, microwave and battery charger would likely overload the system if they were on at the same time.

Ted

I use a Honda 1000 often to charge the battery instead of my 8kw Westie.

I have a promariner charger that let's me change the charger output to less than 100 a ercent full output do it doesn't bog down the Honda.

And yes on the power inlet as long as you balance the load and not have an in line inverter charger.

Both Honda EU2000i /EU 2200i have a 30 amp outlet built in the unit and will power most needs except your air conditioner. We carry a EU 2000i for backup and it charges batteries (30amp charger) and powers all 110 appliances. Fuel consumption is approx. 1 gallon for 6-8 hrs of run time using the echo-throttle setting.

When on the hook, I have refrigerator, LED lights, water pump, stereo, iPad, and sometimes diesel heater fan consuming DC power. Typically get approx 36hrs of that from the house bank. I don’t really need a generator to cover all of that, just be able to put some juice back into the house batteries when necessary to push more towards 48hrs.

I have a Xantrex Trucharge 40+ charger, which appears to handle a wide array of input.

Last edited:
When on the hook, I have refrigerator, LED lights, water pump, stereo, iPad, and sometimes diesel heater fan consuming DC power. Typically get approx 36hrs of that from the house bank. I don’t really need a generator to cover all of that, just be able to put some juice back into the house batteries when necessary to push more towards 48hrs.

I have a Xantrex Trucharge 40+ charger, which appears to handle a wide array of input.

Fridge can take more power to start than you would imagine. A 2000 watt Honda should work well to do what you want, considering your list of uses of DC power.

A single toaster pulls about a 1000 watts, so that small a gen is not going to do very much extra, I would find it to limiting.

Last edited:
If your boat is set up for 12V and has pretty good solar,1000 Watts can work.

Sure I wish I had a 2000W Honda, but I bought my 1000W before 2000's we're offered.

I bought and have used the Westinghouse. The reviews sold me. Starts on first pull since day 1. Nothing bad to say. Picked it up at Lowes

To lessen noise on board these are sometimes hung from boom ends or simply left in the dink behind the vessel.

Too bad they do not make a Diesel unit. In my previous gas boat I had a 2000 Watt Honda as a back up and it was awesome. CO is always an issue with portable gas units, be careful.

When I used my Honda 2000 to power my inverter/charger, 5 amps AC would deliver a charge rate of about 33 amps DC. 10 amps AC would give 66 amps DC and 15 amps AC would give 100 amps DC. The Honda EU2000i is only 1600 watts /13.8 amps AC continuous so I had to limit my charger to 10 amps AC to allow a little left to run the refrigerator. The Honda got annoyingly loud over about 50 percent load.

Last edited:
To lessen noise on board these are sometimes hung from boom ends or simply left in the dink behind the vessel.

Please consider the others in the anchorage when you run these (or any genset). You benefit from the noise, they do not.

As to noise, from 50 feet away, the sound of my generator while on full load is de minimis as observed by folks who were not with me nor benefiting from my genny. I agree that everyone should be a courteous boater at all times.

I wish people posted as much about talking, laughing, music, radios, musical instrument playing, outboards, windgens, halyards, etc noise that all can be just as loud as a quiet inverter genset..

Then about anchorages that have air traffic noise, road noise, wind noise, population noise, etc...complaining about 56 decibles for a couple hours makes me laugh.

Sure, if your little genset is the only thing making noise...be polite.

But the reality is all too often it's not.

Mine, if I run it in the confines flybridge, it's quieter than if you happen to be on my installed genset exhaust side which has a bit of a rumble and the typical splashing sound.

Back
Top Bottom