Poor Man's Fuel Flow Meter - Monitor RPMs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was walking the dock on Block Island one weekend , to look at the boats, and overheard an interesting conversation.

A pro boat captain with accurate flow scan told the dock master the fuel pumped aboard was impossible. He knew what his tank could take .

The dock master almost instantly agreed to wave his total fill bill .,

On my boat, I'd like flow meters mostly for being able to determine if I'm running at the most efficient speed for conditions on a long run where range matters. Other than that, I can guesstimate close enough.

I don't worry about flow meters for telling me fuel remaining. Even with a noticeable difference in reading between low speed and planing due to sensor placement, my fuel gauges are pretty accurate. Out of 4 fillups last season, my guesstimates on how much fuel we would take (total between the 2 tanks) were all within 10 gallons of actual fuel loaded. And 3 of those estimates were within 5 gallons, 1 of the 3 was within a gallon. Of course, that last one is probably just luck.

Was walking the dock on Block Island one weekend , to look at the boats, and overheard an interesting conversation.

A pro boat captain with accurate flow scan told the dock master the fuel pumped aboard was impossible. He knew what his tank could take .

The dock master almost instantly agreed to wave his total fill bill .,

A: I doubt a dock master would waive his total fill bill... Ever.
B: a flow scan is different than a fill-rite meter, which I assume is what you meant in your post. A flow scan shows engine consumption and a fill-rite meter shows fuel going into the tank, which could be used to compare to the truck or dock pump to negotiate a rebate.
https://www.fillrite.com/fort-wayne-products/meters
There are many brands, fill-rite is just one.

Why would you doubt FF's eyewitness account? I suppose he could have made up a story but I rather doubt it. Sounds like the dockmaster knew he was caught cheating and wanted the eyewitness to just go away for the mere price of a tank of fuel as opposed to being arrested for fraud and losing his job. Makes sense to me.
A: I doubt a dock master would waive his total fill bill... Ever.
B: a flow scan is different than a fill-rite meter, which I assume is what you meant in your post. A flow scan shows engine consumption and a fill-rite meter shows fuel going into the tank, which could be used to compare to the truck or dock pump to negotiate a rebate.
https://www.fillrite.com/fort-wayne-products/meters
There are many brands, fill-rite is just one.

About 11 years ago I stopped for fuel at a small marina that could only provide fuel cans of fuel to their "fuel dock" and gravity fed them from shore down a pipe to the boat. At the time I had two 75 gallon tanks and knew I needed about 90-100 gallons total. The fuel cans were mounted on 2 wheel dolly carts to roll them to the fuel pump about 100' from the ramp to the fuel dock. I wanted to fill up on fuel and they rolled over a fuel can, connected it to the "fill pipe" and I put the nozzle in and proceeded to fill up. After emptying the can They brought a second can and I topped off my tank. Moved the nozzle over to the other tank and emptied it. They brought another tank over and I topped off the tank. They took the partial tank back and filled it noting the amount needed. I went up to pay the bill and was informed I had taken 126 gallons. I was totally shocked because my FlowScans had said I needed about 95 gallons. I paid the bill and went to look at the tanks and noticed they were different sizes. I asked which tanks had been used and they said they didn't know. To this day I know I was overcharged because they calculated on only the larger of the cans and I believe at least two of the cans were the smaller cans. The difference in their sizes was about 12 gallons which matched the overcharge. Deliberate or accidental? Don't know but I never stopped their again.

Last edited:
Why would you doubt FF's eyewitness account? I suppose he could have made up a story but I rather doubt it. Sounds like the dockmaster knew he was caught cheating and wanted the eyewitness to just go away for the mere price of a tank of fuel as opposed to being arrested for fraud and losing his job. Makes sense to me.

I am only pointing out the subject of the thread versus the function of a fill-rite meter is quite different. I enjoy FF's posts and would not normally contradict him. Except a fuel burn meter won't prove how much fuel you did or did not put in the tank, until you run out.

There are two completely different sensor fields. A fill-rite sensor is a great way to keep them honest, as long as it can be plumbed into the fill tube.

If I fill my tanks and zero out my Floscan's totalizer, I know by reading it at the fuel dock how much fuel can go into my tanks to fill them up.

Look up Optio Fuel flow monitor by Interactio.
They’re relatively inexpensive and easy to install yourself.

I have twin diesels and bought a 2 sensors (supply and return) to cover 1 engine.

I couldn’t find many reviews of people that had used them so decided to try the one engine. Turns out that’s really all I need.

Seems to work great.

I don’t get the need to know exact fuel burn.
Unless one crosses oceans.

Just experience on long trips should be enough information.
Maybe it’s the digital age.

I often run a bit light on fuel (carrying half my 170 gal capacity) to allow a bit less load when on plane burning as high as 10-12 GPH; so a good knowledge burn rate at any slower speed I might want to use to extend my run a certain distance, and it's available instantly in real time on the Floscan. That said, I will repeat here that the real reason I got the FS was for the digital tach to replace the crap Faria one, but I do find ways to enjoy having all that data. :)

Must buy new toys and have money to burn

But need to save $$ looking for optimal fuel burn

This past off-season, I added Maretron Fuel Flow Sensors and the Tank Level sensors. If you keep an eye out, you can find some good deals. Especially on Ebay. The sensors are normally about ~$400 each (x4) plus to monitors (1 for each engine) also around $400 each (~$2,400 total). I ended up picking everything up, new for about $1,400... :)
I LOVE the data that I get on my Raymarine MFD's. I can see exactly where the sweet spots are for particular RPM's and speeds. For longer trips (3-4+ hours) I think this data will pay for itself in a few trips. Also knowing what your baselines should be and seeing something abnormal is also good data to have...

Just added the Wakespeed "smart voltage regulator and finally ditched the Balmar external reg's. (REALLY hated how you have to program those things). Also adds data to the RM-MFD's.

Next up is the SeaGauge G2 28 function analog to N2K converter. Convert all my old analog displays to N2K data... :)

BTW, I work in I.T. so I love having digital verifiable data... :)

This past off-season, I added Maretron Fuel Flow Sensors and the Tank Level sensors. If you keep an eye out, you can find some good deals. Especially on Ebay. The sensors are normally about ~$400 each (x4) plus to monitors (1 for each engine) also around $400 each (~$2,400 total). I ended up picking everything up, new for about $1,400... :)
I LOVE the data that I get on my Raymarine MFD's. I can see exactly where the sweet spots are for particular RPM's and speeds. For longer trips (3-4+ hours) I think this data will pay for itself in a few trips. Also knowing what your baselines should be and seeing something abnormal is also good data to have...

Just added the Wakespeed "smart voltage regulator and finally ditched the Balmar external reg's. (REALLY hated how you have to program those things). Also adds data to the RM-MFD's.

Next up is the SeaGauge G2 28 function analog to N2K converter. Convert all my old analog displays to N2K data... :)

BTW, I work in I.T. so I love having digital verifiable data... :)

Have you compared what your maretron flow gauges say against what the engines fuel burn displays are reporting? I'd like to know how accurate the engine MCU reporting is against actual fuel burn. What engines are you running?

Knowing my exact fuel burn gives me piece of mind when running the west coast of Vancouver Island as fuel stops are in remote locations and at times fuel is not available. Knowing how much fuel you've burned helps in making good decisions and running out of fuel in those waters is not an option. When running the Inside Passage fuel burn is important as fuel stops can be a long distance apart. Again, knowing how much you still have can be valuable information. Crossing oceans is not in my plans but arriving safely and avoiding situations that can be life threatening is.

I have roughly 30 year old CAT 3208 TA (375hp) engines. Until recently, EVERYTHING on the boat was either analog or had no data points available (i.e. boost or ETG sensors) both are being added when I do the analog-to-N2K conversion.
I have found my burn to actually be a bit LESS (woohooo!!!) than what the rated RPM/Burn rates listed are...

WOT 2,800 RPM - 19-19.5
2,400 RPM - 10.5-11
2,200-2,300 RPM (where I cruise if I am trying to get somewhere a bit faster) 9.5-10
1,800-2,00 RPM - seems to be bout right 4-6

Attachments

• Engine Fuel Burn Curve.JPG
    Engine Fuel Burn Curve.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom