Perkins 6.354 Serpentine Belt Upgrade Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gdavid

Guru
Vessel Name
Graceland
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 MK1
This is a very specific question but has anyone here retrofitted a perkins 6.354 to use a multi-groove/serpentine style water pump and alternator drive belt?

I'm looking at the balmar AltMount Pulley Kit: 48-PSP-6354 but can't find a picture of an installed unit, their instruction manual shows the install on a yanmar engine but I'm not sure how it installs on the perkins, whether it bolts onto the front of the harmonic damper or whether it replaces the v-belt pulleys that are aft of the balancer. I left a message with balmar's tech department but figured I would check here if anyone has first hand experience. Thank you.

GD
Contact Flywright, he did it on his 4 cylinder Perkins as best I recall and was quite happy with the result.

I installed a Balmar 621 120A alternator on my stbd Perkins 4.236 engine. I didn't want to mess with the complexity of changing pulleys and elected to derate my alternator through regulator programming to 100A and was able to stay with a single 1/2 alternator belt on the original pulleys.

In real life use when I combine multiple charging sources (solar, stbd and port alternators, generator), my 660AH lead-acid golf cart battery house bank can only take high charges over 100A for a short period of about 20-30 mins before the battery acceptance rate diminishes to under 100A. I have never felt I lacked adequate charging capability with the derated 20A.

Sorry I can't help with the OP's Q re: serpentine belts and pulley, but I hope this helps.

Thanks for following up, hopefully I'll hear back from Balmar, most likely I'll just go the same route that you did and stay within the limits of a single 1/2" belt.

Attachments

• 612B082C-61DD-424E-B772-DC81D13852E8.jpg
    612B082C-61DD-424E-B772-DC81D13852E8.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 23
I did a serpentine belt kit from TAD on my 4.236. Easy. Give them a call. Balmar is decent, but this is better with someone who knows your engine. Nobody better than TAD.

Peter

I should have thought of TAD, they are very responsive but I forgot the offered such kits. Thanks.

I'm 2 "doors" down from Graceland & just got thru with batteries & alternator conversions. I had the Delco replaced on the port side with a single pulley 621 Balmer. I believe it's 100 amp using the existing belt.

I'm 2 "doors" down from Graceland & just got thru with batteries & alternator conversions. I had the Delco replaced on the port side with a single pulley 621 Balmer. I believe it's 100 amp using the existing belt.

Thanks for chiming in and I just noticed last week that you are on this site.

As you can tell, I have plenty of projects to complete on my boat, trying to focus on safety and mechanical systems and move on the the aesthetics before my frumpy old boat offends anyone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom