Panel Light Bulb Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leatherneck

Vessel Name
Devil Dog
Vessel Make
1987 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
Hi,
Does anyone know of a source for this light bulb? It is used on my Jefferson 42 on the breaker panel as a "phase correct" indicator for input AC power. I've spent a few hours searching online and nothing yet :banghead:. All it says on the bulb is 220V. Thanks!

Attachments

• Light Bulb.jpg
    Light Bulb.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 19
It could be an E10 base. Don't focus on the boat manufacturer, in your case Jefferson. Focus on the part manufacturer, in your case the panel manufacturer. Or the indicator lamp holder manufacturer.

That one might do it. Too bad it is in the UK. I'll call them to see what the shipping times are. Was kinda hoping for an LED version but beggars can't be choosers!

Hi Leatherneck. In my box of tricks I believe I have that bulb. A smaller (shorter with same base) came out of a liferaft. That one didn't light for me. The one shown here is what I can offer.

TF-LeatherneckLightBulb.jpg

and lit:
TF-LeatherneckBulbLit.jpg

Let me know if you'd like this one...

Thanks Janice 142. I'll PM you.

Received. Your envelope will be heading out shortly. Good luck Cap'n.

For folks sourcing "12V " bulbs get a good bulb catalog and you will notice both 12v and 14v bulbs listed.

The14v bulbs are for 12v use with an operating charge source , generator , alternator or batt charger . The 14v bubs last longer.

A visit to your auto parts store and you can find something to dye the white light bulbs. The more coats of the stuff, the darker it gets.

An observation: For longer than I have been alive, in the Navy, it was always, "rig for red".
Now, on pleasure craft, it seems "rig for blue" is popular, perhaps because, it is "cool" looking.
Slowly, it appears to begin going, "rig for gray."
In realty, it makes little or no difference provided the color is toned down and not distracting to the operator.
I, being an certified 'old fart', still want red lights, on a rheostat.

Last edited:
OP is looking for a 220V bulb. Automotive bulbs and life raft bulbs won't work.
Hi,
Does anyone know of a source for this light bulb? It is used on my Jefferson 42 on the breaker panel as a "phase correct" indicator for input AC power. I've spent a few hours searching online and nothing yet :banghead:. All it says on the bulb is 220V. Thanks!

Janice142 is sending a spare bulb she has. What a nice gesture. :) Hopefully it will fit and problem solved. Who'd of thought changing a light bulb would be such an effort? Oh, I forgot, it's a boat! :facepalm:

Janice142 is sending a spare bulb she has. What a nice gesture. :) Hopefully it will fit and problem solved. Who'd of thought changing a light bulb would be such an effort? Oh, I forgot, it's a boat! :facepalm:

Write down any identifying numbers for future reference.

Yes, I will definitely keep a record.

Let me ask one of those classic "stupid" question.

If one uses a 24 vt bulb on a 12 vt system, it burns 1/2 as bright?

OK, here's my thinking... :)
Per Ohm's Law, E=IR
Rewriting: I=E/R
Assuming R is the filament resistance and it stays constant (Assumption)
then if the voltage (E) goes down, the current (I) goes down,
less heating of the filament so less light.
Now LEDs may be totally different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom