Old 02-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #1

City: Freeport, TX
Vessel Name: Cold Shot
Vessel Model: 1997 38' Luhrs Tournament Open
Onboard Battery Charger Recommendations

I'm looking for a new onboard battery charger for a 38' Luhrs. The old owner was going through batteries a lot. The boat has 2 new 8D batteries and a new 900 CCA battery for the generator. The generator is not purchased yet. The shore power cable and 50 amp fuse are new. The battery wiring and the wiring behind the panel still looks brand new. So I can only assume the culprit is a 25 year old battery charger. The lights on the charger also flicker a lot. The old charger specs are as follows:
AC Input

Volts 120V
Amps 10.0
Hz 60
Model VHD 1250

DC Output
Volts 12
Amps 50
Cells 6
Cell Type L.A.

Any recommendations for a quality charger that isn't over $500 would be great.

Thank,

Will
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4747.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	99622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5826.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	99623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1698.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	99624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5861.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	99625  

Cold Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
I have installed 2 ProNautic 1240P chargers on my last two boats with remote monitoring panel. They seem to work very well and donít break the bank.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. CS. From what little I know that is a ferrite core charger and they are notorious for cooking batteries. You might want to look at cleaning up the wiring to your batteries as well.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I'll second the ProNautic charger. Marinehowto.com (compass marine) has an excellent run down on Sterling chargers, including installation tips. Sterling's are marketed as ProNautic in much of North America.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #5
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I have 2 Promariner chargers in my boat and had one in a previous boat. Really like them. I have a 15 amp charger for my stern thruster battery and a 60 amp one for my house and start batteries.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Cold shot: Iíll let others answer the charging question, but I donít really like all the cabling on your batteries. Thatís really not a good idea. That should be done on a dedicated buss-bar with the appropriate fusing. Also, ďwing nutsĒ are not a good idea on battery terminals.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #7
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We have the original ProMariner 1240 (40A) charger, 17 years old, still working fine...

But we also just added a new ProMariner ProNautic 1260P (60A) which now includes several useful functions like settable charge profiles and a remote panel for some functions. So far, seems decent... but we don't have long-term info on it yet.

ProMariner's ProNautic-P and Sterling's Pro Charge Ultra are the same products.

-Chris
Old 02-27-2020, 12:12 AM   #8
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
I will second Jim Cave's comments.

I will also suggest that you better separate the two conductors on the top battery. NOW.

It looks to me like only a few wraps of electrical tape is keeping the wire terminals from wearing through and touching across from neg. to pos. That will provide a massive short circuit. Possibly a battery explosion.

Tape like that is no where near good enough.

Even if all you do is split a piece of hose lengthwise and secure it [Tyraps} so it is between the two conductors it will be a big improvement in safety. Then later you can sort out buss bars and some serious improvements.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:34 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
I will suggest an inverter/charger that has multi stage smart charging.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:07 AM   #10

City: Vancouver Isl
Vessel Name: Tenacious
Vessel Model: Uniflite 31 FB Sedan
I'll third both JD's comments and the Pro Nautic series chargers. I've now seen quite a few of them installed over several years, all doing a great job with no failures, even in commercial service.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #11
CMS

City: Casco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I'll second the ProNautic charger. Marinehowto.com (compass marine) has an excellent run down on Sterling chargers, including installation tips. Sterling's are marketed as ProNautic in much of North America.
Sterlings are actually sold in North America. MarineHowTo.com and others are US based Sterling Power dealers. The two chargers were a joint design venture between ProMariner and Sterling Power.

This link may help with the installation:

Installing a Marine Battery Charger

The Sterling ProCharge Ultra is often a bit less $$ than the ProMariner's are, when purchased through a legitimate ProMariner dealer, not a gray market re-seller who may be selling you a product that is a factory second, returned item, a re-man or has no US warranty...

MarineHowTo.com
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I suspect the old charger was overcooking the batter banks. BUT... I have never had an 8D last over a couple years. Could be that I also had an old charger (which I have since replaced). Lets start a campaign to outlaw 8D's on trawlers, at least for owners over about 65 years old. Too damn heavy...

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:22 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I suspect the old charger was overcooking the batter banks. BUT... I have never had an 8D last over a couple years. Could be that I also had an old charger (which I have since replaced). Lets start a campaign to outlaw 8D's on trawlers, at least for owners over about 65 years old. Too damn heavy...

pete
Undercharging batteries will kill them as well...especially FLA batteries. If the OP had that 10amp charger on the 8Ds then that is likely the problem. Someone else commented that they never get more than a couple of years out of 8Ds. That is likely the result of undercharging. I have a friend that is marine electrician. He said it is not uncomon for him to do jobs similar to this. When he adds up all the loads on the DC system to be 50amps....and the battery charger is only 40amps....there's your problem. Mainstream boat manufacturers(ie Carver) are notorious for this. One of the jobs mentioned was a Carver 53 with only a 40 amp charger. They couldn't figure out why their batteries kept dying.... Interestingly, the 35 foot Carver I just sold had an 80amp Charles charger. That had to be an option as it looked OEM. But that is an excellent charger.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Star Weird
Vessel Model: Camargue
I would check out craigslist/offerup/FB Market place. They have Magnum's, Mastervolts, Victrons on there all the time..

secondly, START OVER with all those cables!!! Are those even marine rated cables? Those lugs on the end DEF don't look like they are. They are also wrong sized lugs, you can see they are to big for the binding post if you look closely...

Here's a Blue Sea on for sale...

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...081517869.html
Scottwb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:00 PM   #15
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Cold shot: Iíll let others answer the charging question, but I donít really like all the cabling on your batteries. Thatís really not a good idea. That should be done on a dedicated buss-bar with the appropriate fusing. Also, ďwing nutsĒ are not a good idea on battery terminals.

Jim
Jim when I looked at that picture, I thought "rat's nest" so I guess we agree.

Time to get a marine electrician out to replace the wires to the proper length.
Per the battery charger...... I too shall watch and learn.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #16
Guru

We have an ancient OEM ferro resonant charger I only use when onboard and cruising. In the marina the batts are well maintained by our solar array. I would not be confident using it on shorepower at the marina because of the overcharging reputation these chargers have but, on the hook it is a potent effective reliable charger despite it`s age and design.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:25 AM   #17
FF
Guru

The problem could be the 8D batts. IF they are not deep cycle and are used as house batts they die early as most 8D are vehicle starting batts.

Start batts die rapidly if drawn down often.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #18

City: Calumet Harbor, Chicago
Vessel Model: Tugs / Tow Boats
At work my towing company swears by 2 bank LaMarche Conastvolt chargers on their boats.

On my boat I using a 3 bank Samlex charger.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Essington, PA.
Vessel Name: Nepidae
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
Your boat is a 1997, according to your profile, did the PO put an old charger in a new boat?

You also mention a charger, but presuming you may want to spend some time overnight on your 38' boat, you might also want to consider an inverter.

Your wiring & wing nuts were mentioned already, address those and would suggest that if you have wiring that looks like it does, you should have all wiring checked by a ABYC tech. Shore cords should be replaced with Smart Plugs as well.

Generators will cost you plenty, I looked and saw a $10-15K cost for our boat. We went for a larger house bank and Balmar charging equipment.

It all depends on the cruising and/or use you are putting your boat into, bare boat charter? Does the charter company have any say? Are you doing this on your own, did you consider liability?

Check on what the charter comp says or your lawyer for liability.

$500, you are dreaming. With all you should do you are looking at closer to 2 boat bucks without the generator.

Good luck.
m/v Nepidae, Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:21 PM   #20

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
hallo mr cold shot, several years ago, probly 5, i looked and looked, found a company by the name of...CHARLES INDUSTRIES, BOUGHT A 6O AMP from them...works great, even comensates for cold weather! guys name i dealt with, is LARRY BUDD @ 217) 932-5292...i have had other chargers over the years, but nothing like this!! good luck...clyde

clyde is offline   Reply With Quote