Onan MDKAV Starting problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delta4242

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Paradis
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Europa
Hi, I have a 9KW Onan Quiet Diesel Gen Set Model MDKAV that always starts at half voltage 120V then pulls in at 120V. Most of the time, it trips out and stops the Kubota motor and has to be restarted.
Its been on the hard here in CT and I'm looking for any tips and suggestions for when I can get back on it in a few weeks.
The only thing that seems to make sense is the regulator card is putting out half the field voltage which might be a bad diode in the full wave bridge, assuming it has one of those.
Thanks

I have an 8Kw. Check the safety stuff such as water temp, oil pressure, exhaust heat. there is also a circuit breaker. Mine went bad.

Onan MDKAV voltage adjustment

Finally got on the boat last weekend and saw immediately the generator tripping out on startup and throwing an over voltage code. This was being caused by a large overshoot due to the regulator card with slow response. After finally getting it to start by preloading it(thats against the rules!) I noticed the output voltage was 112.2VAC @ 59.97HZ. With DC input power at 13.7VDC I went ahead with the standard voltage adjustment up to 120.2VAC 59.97HZ according to the Onan manual.
The Genset starts perfectly every time!
Most AC loads can tolerate voltage swings of several percent, however a generator is still tuned to run at its nameplate voltages within 1-2%. Being that far out of tolerance was too much for it to handle.

Back
Top Bottom