Old 02-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Onan Fuel shut down Soleniod

I'm having problems with finding a replacement solenoid for 16kw thirty eight year old Onan Generator. Onan is now part of Cummins and they are barely supporting these old generators with existing parts. They had a few of these in stock but with shipping the part came to over $500. The shipping nearly doubled the part cost. I'm looking for a more affordable solution. Any Ideas. I don't like getting ripped off when shutoffs for Ford, Chevy, and Dodge run around a $100 or less.

Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Wow, are they buying the package a seat on American Airlines?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Remember it's "marine" grade.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
MDJ series? Solenoid may be available from OEM, and maybe old plunger can be reused.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Steve

The way I used to fix these was to use a diesel rated fuel solenoid instead.

It worked just fine.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Guru

I had bought a soleniod on line that worked

I bought a solenoid on line that seemed to work. Unfortunately it gets hot and relaxes the plunger slowing the engine and eventually shutting down the engine down . I need a solenoid that can remain contracted for long periods of time. I can remove the solenoid and the engine runs fine. I just have to physically move the fuel shut down lever to stop the engine. I believe it is a MJD series. It's a great generator, starts well, oil remains clear, and it pumps out the power, just very few parts seem to be available. I'm going back to the boat this evening so I will see if I can get some pictures.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
If solenoid plunger cannot bottom fully when energized, it will get hot and cause trouble. Check that linkage is not preventing full travel.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
That selinoid is the biggest problem with this series onan genset. It uses a heavy wound "pull in" coil. It has a set of contacts that are pushed open by the plunger shaft, leaving the lighter wound "run" coil to hold the plunger. In my opinion, an exceedingly poor design. Usually what happens is the contacts stay closed and it burns out the pull in coil. Usually if you hold it in the run position, once it gets up to speed it will stay running. I have 2 of these MDJFs, 15kw, if anyone is in need of one. Or parts. I do not however have a working selinoid.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Scary, Had the same problem with an MDKD 6.5kw solenoid, part no. 307-2546-00. Amazingly mine cost about $430 here, cheaper than your quote, everything costs more here(just heard a Coke cost 75c at LAX, $4.40 at Sydney airport).
Pretty sure I saw them online in USA around $300, but no one would ship here.I could start mine by pulling the plunger across, so the "hold after start" solenoid was working, but not the "pull in" one.
A friend was going to do a "work around", someone else was willing to modify a different one, then I found one at Cummins. Came in a box saying Genuine Cummins part. Labels showed it was made in China for someone else. But it works and I don`t visit the ER any more to start it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

guys I do not know if anybody understood my post above.

All the solenoid does on that generator is push the rack back and cut off the fuel.

I have personally installed a simple fuel valve solenoid on these engines to replace the obsolete Onan part and it works just fine.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
My 8 KW Onan genny also needed a solenoid. Got one made for a Westerbeke for half the price and it works just fine. Even the mounting screw holes matched up.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
Guru

Thanks

I'M WORKING ON A SOLUTION. Thanks for the explanation as to the design of the stock solenoid. Now I know what to look for. Kevin can you recall where you accessed the solenoid?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
guys I do not know if anybody understood my post above.
All the solenoid does on that generator is push the rack back and cut off the fuel.
I have personally installed a simple fuel valve solenoid on these engines to replace the obsolete Onan part and it works just fine.
We may be at cross purposes, not sure.
Yes, the solenoid cuts off fuel to stop the generator. But first the generator has to start. That requires (apologies for non tech terms) the plunger to "pull cross" and hold its position, I`ve seen it operate. And seen it not do it,= no fuel no start. I`ve done the "pull across" manually. Otherwise no fuel, no running generator to stop.
There are also safety cut out interlocks which could inhibit operation.
I hope you can replace the original with an alternative and save some $.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
We may be at cross purposes, not sure.
Yes, the solenoid cuts off fuel to stop the generator. But first the generator has to start. That requires (apologies for non tech terms) the plunger to "pull cross" and hold its position, I`ve seen it operate. And seen it not do it,= no fuel no start. I`ve done the "pull across" manually. Otherwise no fuel, no running generator to stop.
There are also safety cut out interlocks which could inhibit operation.
I hope you can replace the original with an alternative and save some $.

Actually from the factory the rack goes to full throttle when the solenoid pulls in based on a spring. The flyball governor then pulls it back towards closed as speed increases. If memory serves, this spring is the large one with a length adjustor on the end of it. Adjusting the spring was one of two adjustments on that rather finicky governor, again, if memory serves correctly.

Remove the selonoid and the rack will operate just fine. Put a selonoid operated fuel valve in the fuel line and have that tied to the same relay that supplies power to the old selonoid and you are good to go.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
I'M WORKING ON A SOLUTION. Thanks for the explanation as to the design of the stock solenoid. Now I know what to look for. Kevin can you recall where you accessed the solenoid?
Steve, Its been years since I put one in, but ASCO makes a valve called a REDHAT that I know will work fine.

The way the factory electrical circuit works is simple.

The toggle switch activates a relay. That relay supplies power to both the start relay and to the fuel selonoid.

When the oil pressure comes up the oil switch closes allowing current to flow through the relay and you can release the switch.

Putting the switch in the other direction activates another relay that opens up the coil to the first relay, dropping it out.

Thats why they called it the ONAN 3 wire start system.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #16
FF
Guru

Anybody old enough to remember a push pull cable?

Sounds like a bronze choke cable would be robust enough .

If not a light weight throttle cable from an outboard should do , even if 35 ft long.

OF course if the noisemaker auto starts with each light bulb switched on , the solenoid may be needed.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #17
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
That works but it bypasses all of the safety shutdowns.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #18
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
I'm having problems with finding a replacement solenoid for 16kw thirty eight year old Onan Generator. Onan is now part of Cummins and they are barely supporting these old generators with existing parts. They had a few of these in stock but with shipping the part came to over $500. The shipping nearly doubled the part cost. I'm looking for a more affordable solution. Any Ideas. .......
You are saying they would charge you $250 to ship the solenoid? To where, the South Pole?

Something is wrong here, it can't cost that much to ship something that could ship UPS or FedEx. I would question them on the shipping cost.

Maybe you could find a friend or relative or even a forum member who could pick it up in person and then ship it to you.

If the problem with your solenoid is electrical rather than mechanical, you could take it to a local electric motor repair shop and see if they could rewind the coil(s). It wouldn't hurt to try.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Often it's "shipping and handling"...$5 to ship, $245 to handle...

prerogative of the supplier...common on ebay...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #20
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Yep they don't pay commission to eBay on the S&H charges, just the actual sell price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote