Old 02-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #21
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Thanks All

I found out that Drake Controls makes the OME solenoid. They will not sell it direct, has to come from Cummins. It still is in production. I may have to bite the bullet. The original solenoid was made by Prestolite. The Drake control is made by Warner. The Westerbeke solenoid is worth looking into. Their parts aren't cheap.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:33 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Maybe a Woodward shop will sell you one:

http://www.drakecontrols.com/gas/solenoids/52132.pdf
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #23
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
U S Autoelectric has a good selection of solenoids and might be worth a call:

Solenoid - Fuel shut off

And here is a link to the Woodward Solenoid Product catalog that might be helpful in identifying what you need:

http://www.woodward.com/workarea/dow...?id=2147484597

I have a Woodward solenoid on my Kohler/Yanmar generator that the PO replaced years ago and it still works perfectly.

Good luck on your project.

Larry
m/v Boomarang
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #24

We bought a generator dor parts and it had a 36 volt.. We are using a 12 volt so if you can use the 36 volt let me know
cajun mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #25
Guru

Looks like I may have found a solenoid

Hope this works out. Kevin using the fuel shut of valve doesn't cause restarting problems? I guess as long as air doesn't enter the fuel supply, all is well. No heat generated by the valve to worry about?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #26
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
It wont work. The originall design is completely different.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Hope this works out. Kevin using the fuel shut of valve doesn't cause restarting problems? I guess as long as air doesn't enter the fuel supply, all is well. No heat generated by the valve to worry about?
Steve

I've not seen it cause any problems and did several of them. The valves don't generate heat, and no air gets into the system.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #28
Guru

City: Vermont
Just curious...who makes the actual engine? Kubota? Yanmar? If you can track that down you might be able to buy the part through a different distribution channel where the engine is used for a different application. My 11KW Onan, for example, is powered by a Kubota diesel, and parts are available from many tractor dealers.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #29
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
The MDJ series was actually made by Onan. 1,2 and 4cyl. It started life as air cooled gasoline fueled, then adapted to diesel, then adapted to water cooling. I think the original design dates back to WW2 or thereabouts. Many units were made as portable military package units.

Early units used the big fat Prestolite (??) unit. Later versions used the thinner Woodward (??) unit. With a little adapting, the later version can be used. That link in post #23 has a few that look like they could be fitted.

I would not recommend putting a fuel valve in as a shutdown. With fuel flow into injection pump stopped, engine may continue to run by drawing fuel from the return line. It might not shut off when given an overheat or low oil P shutdown signal. The fuel solenoid trips the rack to no fuel, stops it right away.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
The MDJ series was actually made by Onan. 1,2 and 4cyl. It started life as air cooled gasoline fueled, then adapted to diesel, then adapted to water cooling. I think the original design dates back to WW2 or thereabouts. Many units were made as portable military package units.

Early units used the big fat Prestolite (??) unit. Later versions used the thinner Woodward (??) unit. With a little adapting, the later version can be used. That link in post #23 has a few that look like they could be fitted.

I would not recommend putting a fuel valve in as a shutdown. With fuel flow into injection pump stopped, engine may continue to run by drawing fuel from the return line. It might not shut off when given an overheat or low oil P shutdown signal. The fuel solenoid trips the rack to no fuel, stops it right away.

You got it right as far as the J series engines. They were great engines that were adapted for a variety of uses.

Please think about your comment regarding the suel sut off solenoid, and drawing fuel from the return line for a moment.

Remember that the fuel circuit goes from the injection pump to the injectors and then directly to the return line. That means that the return line is open from the injectors to the top of the tank.

Since the factory stock system takes the unit to zero throttle, it doesent change the return circuit.

I actually ran into the exact same issue that Steve is having now. I could not find a stock solenoid anywhere for a customers 7.5KW DJ unit. So, I tried it. I put a selonoid valve in the fuel line and it worked.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #31
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Please think about your comment regarding the suel sut off solenoid, and drawing fuel from the return line for a moment.

Remember that the fuel circuit goes from the injection pump to the injectors and then directly to the return line. That means that the return line is open from the injectors to the top of the tank.

Since the factory stock system takes the unit to zero throttle, it doesent change the return circuit.
Thanks for correcting that. In a system that stops the engine by moving the rack to cut-off, the spill port is aligned so that the plunger cannot develop pressure and no fuel is delivered the injectors.

The return line could be pressurized and the engine would still stop as the injection pump can not deliver fuel with the spill port open. Remember that even as the engine winds down, its mechanical pump is still delivering fuel from the tank to the inlet port of the plunger, this amount and pressure of fuel is far beyond what any return line could supply.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #32
Technical Guru

I stand by my comment. Diesels can draw fuel from the return if supply is secured. Some will, some will not. It depends on design details, such as whether the injection pump return fitting contains a relief valve (which acts as a check) or a drilled orifice (which will not act as a check). The injection pump plunger/barrel/ do act together to form a positive displacement pump and will continue to draw fuel from any source even if supply is secured.

I've seen it happen many times. Especially a diesel that won't shut down, and the operator closes the fuel supply valve. Engine continues to run for a significant amount of time until air makes it from the tank return tap back to the engine.

You can try it: Get an engine running, and close a fuel supply valve. Time how long it runs.

I don't know if the Onan operates that way or not. From post 30 it sounds like the fuel line solenoid valve does shut it down. But when it comes to a machine that can run unattended, you don't want to assume it will shut down. A genset that runs beyond a trip signal can be a fire risk.

I'm glad it worked (the solenoid valve in the fuel line), but it is not good to assume it will.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #33
Guru

I have 2 of these exact gensets MDJFs) in my shop, and 1 in a boat. I will try putting a fuel shutoff in the line ahead of the pump and report back with the results. I have not seen any aircooled units, and I have researched them way back. It doesnt really look possible that these were ever aircooled as the engine just doesnt lend itself due to the design. I have a 1970 model 15kw onan mdj that is not aircooled. Our propane office has a propane fired 15kw onan of similar vintage as a backup unit. The engine itself is identical to the diesel mdjf, except for a magneto, spark plugs and fuel mixer. Its probably 40 years old and runs like a top, always starts and makes power. It uses a mag ground for shutdown.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
You can try it: Get an engine running, and close a fuel supply valve. Time how long it runs.
How long it runs depends on how much fuel line between the valve and injection pump plunger and the load on the engine.

If the engine is not loaded it can run for what seems like a long time. I can tell you from experience that when you use a remote fuel shutoff because of an engine room fire, it seems like a very very long time.

Tiny little engines don't drink a lot of fuel at low or no loads. That doesn't mean they are sucking fuel backwards.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #35
Guru

The unit I plan to try it on has been redone with a canister type filter and electric fuel pump. I thought I would just put the selinoid directly on the IP. Its the logical spot, no hose or fuel line, 1/8 inch npt, just need a matching selinoid. I'm pretty sure I have one,,,somewhere.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #36
Technical Guru

The military ones I fiddled with were air cooled, with blower fins cast into the front mounted flywheel. The front mounted flywheel is a holdover from the air cooled version. No other gennie uses a front flywheel that I know of. The engine was boxed in sheet metal shrouds that diverted air around finned heads and cylinders. Much like a lawnmower engine!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Onan made the air cooled J series generators in both commercial and military models.

The diesel units were model DJ followed by the output.

The 2 cylinder models were 6-7.5KW in a commercial rating depending on the injection pump, if I remember correctly. The 4 cylinder was a 12KW unit.

The flywheel as indicated was on the front, and the commercial models were all auto start ready. The starter was disengaged via a centrifugal switch located on the flywheel housing.

In the flywheel housing was the governor which was IMHO a engineering marvel for its day.

The alternator was the ONAN YD model, which was a great alternator. Tapered shaft, with a electronic voltage regulator.

I used to refurbish/repair the regulators and sell them. Even sold them on Ebay when it first started up.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #38
Guru

That is interesting, I need to pay more attention. I have seen a few older aircooled onans just didnt realize they were similar to the MDJs.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #39
Guru

Thanks again for everones help

I found a new solenoid on eBay still in the box. $125 plus shipping. Interestingly all I had to do was inter a search using the Onan part number. Pretty amazing. The part should be in my hands next week, I hope. Does anybody want to liquidate any other bits and pieces for the MDJF 15 KW. My alternator section is only 10 years old and seldom used. The genny starts well and the oil is clean. It may have many more years left.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
I found a new solenoid on eBay still in the box. $125 plus shipping. Interestingly all I had to do was inter a search using the Onan part number. Pretty amazing. The part should be in my hands next week, I hope. Does anybody want to liquidate any other bits and pieces for the MDJF 15 KW. My alternator section is only 10 years old and seldom used. The genny starts well and the oil is clean. It may have many more years left.
Well, I wish I would have known you then...

About 10 years ago I shut down the generator shop part of my business, to focus on more profitable ventures. I almost (meaning I sold them for next to nothing) gave away several alternators, engine cores, regulators, etc... Of the ONAN DJ series generators. Probably a pickup load of stuff.

It's funny, we've morphed from a generator repair / rebuild shop to a web based firm specializing in power switching and measurement. We still sell a few generator parts, mostly generator ends, but that business isn't what it used to be.