NovaCool RFU6200 inop!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Our Nova Cool RFU6200 AC/DC fridge quit today..I had turned it off to defrost and replaced the door seal as it was defrosting..

After a good cleaning and reinstalling the door, it would not turn on.. with neither AC or DC..inside light came on only when DC power applied...hmmmm

I check AC input at the controller and its good but compressor would not come back on...same results with DC..

I had a spare thermostat so I installed it but no help.

My best guess is the Danfoss controller has died.

Any suggestions welcome..

Not converting AC to DC ?? 20201123_124345.jpeg20201123_124337.jpeg

You might try pulling each wire off the unit and hitting it with corrosion block.

My NovaKool RFU6200 12vt, was not restarting after I defrosted it. The techs came out, put in a new Danfoss module and presto, everything is back to normal, I hope.
I guess the module must be a weak point? He said, he has seen the module fail within 6 months and in my case, years. Then directed me to eBay for parts.
This company, "Statewide Marine Inc", are not ripoff artists. They came out again and changed out the hoses on my A/C, at my request. So far, I have not paid over $350, each time, for the work they did, including parts. I do pay cash. They are my 'go to' folks for A/C and fridge work.

Last edited:
I Believe I need a new controller for my Danfoss on my NovaCool. End of this season it was stumbling at startup, then I would shut off at breaker for a few minutes and it would work okay. I was done using the boat so I removed all food and had only water bottles in it. A few days later I returned to the boat to a defrosted non running frig and water on my cabin sole. Thankfully no damage to the teak and holly sole. Wiped it up cleaned the frig and shut it down. New controller added to my Winter project list. Frig is only 4 years old - Are the new controllers any more reliable?

The Danfoss controllers don't like heat, so make sure there's air movement around the controller, even if it means adding a fan. Keeping the thing cool should give it a much longer life.

Nova Kool fan now standard

A couple of weeks ago we upgraded our 16 year old Nova Kool 3800 for a new 6200 double door fridge freezer. I noticed our old fridge had trouble keeping things cold sometimes during the summer heat but believe that problem was just due to heat buildup in the confined space behind the fridge. Our old unit never had a fan of any type and the venting around the fridge was rather poor.

In discussions with the Nova Kool factory about installing an auxiliary fan and duct to suck the heat away from the top of our new fridge installation, they mentioned all their new units are now shipped with a fan as standard. The fan on our new unit appears to blow directly on the controller module.

As an aside, the Nova kool tech I talked with warned me their fridge fan terminal can only support .3A of current and the factory standard fan consumes .13A of this budget. I disconnected the factory fan from that terminal and used it to drive a relay to run both the factory installed fan and a separate muffin fan that draws air from the top of the coils on the back of the fridge. I believe Nova Kool offers a stock relay package or module for doing this if you don't have a part readily available.

If anyone is considering rigging up something on their own, be aware the fan terminal is active low (as is properly reflected in the wire colors of the factory fan) rather than active high.

Back
Top Bottom