Not-high-power LED flashlight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danderer

Guru
Vessel Name
Infinity
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48
Looking for something small I can keep in my pocket and use for night runs.

Would like switchable white/red, 'decent' brightness and the ability to dim down to almost nothing.

Anyone have something like this they can recommend? Thanks.

I keep a small key fob led that uses a single button battery.

I did a recommendation for a flashlight that I bought for dinghy use mostly. The handle is clear plastic which lights up so you have 360 degree light. So I can go 7 knots or slower on my dinghy and hold up the flashlight and I'm legal. I'm talking about shorter dinghy jumps, marina to boat, beach to boat, etc. It also goes red. I will see if I can find the link in a thread I started here:

The thread I created: (I paid more than the Costco price)

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/great-flashlight-dinghy-53006.html

I have a mecarmy tiny flat flashlight that has red, white, and UV (used to spot scorpions in boots, sleeping bags, etc.) and has low light output for map reading without blinding everyone around you. BUT I can't find that one any longer.

https://www.amazon.com/COAST-PX20-Color-Lumen-Flashlight/dp/B005NXPVKS

And my primary source for pocket warmers, Illumination gear
https://illuminationgear.com/products/eagtac-d25lc2-color-clicky

Thanks to another poster, I found a place BatteryJunction that carries the MecArmy rechargeable multi-color flashlight. I think it has been discontinued by MecArmy so these three might be the last ones. I like it, It is small, rechargeable, has low light output modes, multi-color modes and UV, which can be used as a low power map reading light too.
https://www.batteryjunction.com/mecarmy-sgn3-multifunctional-flashlight.html

A bit late to the party but I've had good luck with this one https://www.amazon.com/WOWTAC-Handh...able-Waterproof/dp/B08C4MZTFV?ref_=ast_sto_dp and I went with the natural light flavor vs. cool white.

It's my first "modern" flashlight to use a battery different than a AA or AAA alkaline battery. It's impressively bright for it's size and fits fine in the front pocket of my jeans. Sometimes it's a little finicky to recharge and I have to remove the battery and put it back in for the charger to kick on. Probably a weak contact point between the end cap and the battery.

MecArmy rechargeable flashlight

I found my MecArmy rechargeable flashlight. I think the original poster was looking for a low power flashlight so they could read charts without blinding themselves or others at night. I didn't know it was in the bottom of my EDC pistol bag, but here it is.

There are two white LED brightness levels, high and low, red has one level, plus flashing mode, and UV has one level. It has one button on the flat side to switch it on and off, plus which mode (by holding the button down).

It charges via USB cable and has a charge indicator on the push-button.

That is a business card just for scale.
IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

stubones, glad you said something because I forgot to mention that the light I have dims down to 1/2 lumen so you can use it without blowing out your night vision. No red option just a super dim mode. That's a handy looking light you have.

The light output (lumens) has more to do with saving your night vision than color, so low power output is a key thing when you need just a little light. Many lights make you cycle through all the modes to get to what you want, which is a major pain.

I was over at Tod's house last weekend and he showed me the latest model lights he had, among them was this one!
https://illuminationgear.com/products/eagtac-mx3t-c-rechargeable
1,000 lumens with 3x18650 batteries! It was too bright, but you can set it to start on any light level, then go up from there if you need more, or start at the lowest level and work your way up.

BFE0E194-4657-46E4-B6D1-E5F712432420.jpg

Jetbeam Mini-One - stainless steel $22.49 (price paid)
Nitecore Tini2 - anodized aluminum $ 29.96 (price paid)

I had pointed out both these lights as possibilities and ended up buying both to check out.

Both appear to be well made and I’d say in the world of advanced flashlights these brands are respected in the middle to upper middle of the crowded market. Both go as low as 1 lumen and amazingly as high as 500 and both are keychain and easily lost tiny size. The larger Nitecore has about twice the capacity as the Jetbeam. (60 hrs vs. 15 hrs. at one lumen.) Both use USB-C for charging non-removable batteries. Rubber plugs cover the USB-C slots. They memorize the last used light level.

The cylindrical Jetbeam also has red, blue, green and UV and various flashing options. One short press to turn it on, long press to cycle through light levels. Two short presses to access the RBG options with long presses and three short presses for UV. Short press to turn off. From off, holding a long press gives 500 lumens which will shut off after 30 seconds. Hmmm, there is a bit of a learning curve but once acclimated, not as bad as it sounds.

The Nitecore has a cool LED screen with output level, time remaining and voltage. For a small light requiring USB charging, knowing the state of charge is very handy. It has two buttons- on/off and mode. Click to turn on, then use mode button to cycle through output. From off, hold the power button to go straight to 1 lumen. Or, hold the mode button to go right to turbo 500 lumens. Buttons can be locked out and then canceled with a short then long press. It also has what it calls demo mode where it will shut itself off after 30 seconds, maybe useful for some who only use a light for very brief times. Easy to switch to normal mode, something most users would only do once anyway.

I like both but give the nod to the Nitecore Tini2. While lacking RBG/UV of the Jetbeam Mini-One, the more intuitive user input and screen info of the Nitecore makes it easier to use. However, both go as low as one lumen making them useful on the boat while not disrupting night vision. But also blaze the path ahead, however briefly, with 500 lumens.

One issue I have with many of these newer electronically controlled flashlights of any size, is the wide variety of user inputs. Of the dozen flashlights I have on the boat, maybe two of them operate the same way. Even within the same brand, UI aren’t always the same. I have to hold weekly briefings and seminars with my wife and guests just to enable them to turn on a light.

The small black light in the middle is a Surefire Sidekick. Very small, High/Med/Low = 300/60/5 lumens and you can have it come on in high or low, Runtimes of 1.25/4/45 hours. I have been carrying it for over a year and have been very impressed. I have gone jogging in the pouring rain, got pushed into a swimming pool....great light at $29.99

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Sid...09434817&sprefix=surefire+side,aps,166&sr=8-2

The red headlamp is a black diamond that is probably 5+ years old now but it is infinitely variable in white or red, runs on 3 AAA batteries and isn't all that bright, but has the low and the red that the OP was looking for. Aparently not in production....there is a new version but I can't vouch for it, and it seems unreasonably expensive...skip this one.

The olive headlamp is a Nitecore NU32. 4 brightness levels from 1 to 550 lumens and also has a red option. I have the older version but its also been a workhorse of a light that does dim, bright and red.

https://www.amazon.com/NITECORE-NU3...434958&sprefix=nightcore+headl,aps,160&sr=8-8

Attachments

• aalight.jpg
    aalight.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 11
Folks that use a combination lock for their dink,or the dink oars need a very reliable flash light that can work with half dead batts.

Back
Top Bottom