Northern Lights - One of Two Circuits has no Current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCDC

Vessel Name
Stella
Vessel Make
Seaton 56
I have a NL M843NK, 12kw. Diesel is OK and have been using daily. Recently one of the two 120V circuits will not provide current and panel meter shows ~ 10v. Other leg normal. Breakers have not tripped.

Any ideas about malfunction and/or troubleshooting?

Will running the unit with only one leg functioning cause further problems?

Thanks.

I have a NL M843NK, 12kw. Diesel is OK and have been using daily. Recently one of the two 120V circuits will not provide current and panel meter shows ~ 10v. Other leg normal. Breakers have not tripped.

Any ideas about malfunction and/or troubleshooting?

Will running the unit with only one leg functioning cause further problems?

Thanks.

Have you been hooked onto shore power recently to see if same issue occurs? How about continuity check? Ski will likely check in, he is the TF go to genset authority.

Need to open up the control box and meter the stator leads going to the output breaker and check for volts there. See if volts are present at input to breaker on both legs. Could have an open circuit somewhere on that leg. Would be an unusual failure for it to be in the stator, but certainly possible. Get a meter and go check. Be safe!

Thanks for the advice!

We had guests aboard so did not have time to troubleshoot. I had ominous thoughts of failed voltage regulator, diodes or windings. Later I opened the control box which contains the voltage regulator, relays and AC terminal strips. One of the AC wires had corroded, overheated and melted part of the terminal block. Replaced the block, new lugs and all checked out.

Attachments

• IMG_3891.jpg
    IMG_3891.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3899.jpg
    IMG_3899.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 29
Turned out well. Thanks for posting the follow up.

Back
Top Bottom