Old 05-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #1

City: Gabriola Island BC
Vessel Name: VALHALLA
Vessel Model: Sunnfjord raised pilot house
Nobeltec - GPS question

I am running Nobeltec VNS Max Pro. I have it linked to a Furuno GP-32 Navigator.
This system has worked fine for many years. Now, I am getting INV GPS against a yellow background. Ran the self diagnosis on the Furuno and am receiving up to 9 satalites. Checked the port on the computer...I can not find anything wrong.
HELP!!!
Old 05-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #2

City: Poulsbo
Vessel Name: Water Music
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49 classic
Check the nema 183 output to the computer. Is there any possibility that a the wire connects are corroded. Also check the input into the computer. It seems that you are not getting a signal from the Furuno GP32. Maybe the run should be re-terminated. I assume the the display is operational giving the lat/long/ on the gp32.
DennisB1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:24 PM   #3

All connections are good. Had the computer looked at by a pro, he found nothing wrong. Chart plotter shows boat exactly where it is and Lat and Long are correct!, crikey!!
Old 05-04-2021, 10:41 PM   #4
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Is the Furuno still working? You can always call the Nobeltec help line.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:33 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Is your computer used for purposes other than charting?Just guessing, but your laptop is getting beyond its lifespan and possibly affected by using it for other purposes. Maybe try hooking up the laptop to a hockey puck GPS device to eliminate connections issues to your old Furuno GPS.

We have a 15 year old chart use only, no internet Dell with VNS hooked up to a Simrad GPS and it still works OK as a backup. It was replaced by a chart use only Lenovo running Trident 6 years ago. The Lenovo setup is part of our Maretron backbone and tied into the NN3 and other Furuno devices. We use other laptops for non charting applications.

These systems just all wear out and unfortunately become tossable.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #6

Computer is a dedicated on board computer built by Big Bay. Just had it checked out by a professional computer repair guy. Could find no problem with it
Old 05-05-2021, 09:53 AM   #7
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
On the Furuno GP-32 Navigator screen check the date that is showing to see if it is the correct date or was it affected by the gps rollover, our Furuno GP-32 was affected but the position was still OK after a cold start on the gps. We use a different Nobeltec package, maybe yours wants a correct date?
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #8
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhellian View Post
Computer is a dedicated on board computer built by Big Bay. Just had it checked out by a professional computer repair guy. Could find no problem with it
Is the computer guy a marine instrument guy? If so, what did he suspect?

Again, try a hockey puck or other GPS unit that may be on the vessel. Isolating the problem between VNS, computer and GPS seems a good idea. Another thing to consider once you've got this problem sorted out is getting Rose Point or another newer Nobeltec charting system. The VNS program doesn't compare IMHO.

BTW, nice boat. Is that the one made in Seattle by the commercial builder?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #9
Guru

City: West Coast
I don't have any familiarity with your version of Nobeltec, but mind (TZ Pro) has a diagnostic page/tool that allows you to see the PGNs in real time, as well as the device that is sending them. If you can confirm that your computer is receiving the necessary PGNs, then you need to make sure that Nobeltec is configured to receive those PGNs from the device that is sending them. (Because you may have multiple devices providing redundant data, it is a feature that Nobeltec allows you to specifiy a heirarchy of devices from which to accept specific PGNs. This is particularly handy for heading data.)
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:21 PM   #10

First of all, not sure what a PGN is. Also do not have multiple devices. Moving map shows the boat exactly where it is. Position is correct on the chart ie it matches what the GPS says. Time is correct. In other words, everything is functioning correctly, just getting INV GPS. Just talked to Nobletec support and they are even scratching their heads!
Old 05-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #11
Guru

City: Anacortes
I finally couldn’t reload mine anymore after a recent computer upgrade and instead of upgrading the software I went with Open Captain. In most ways, I like it better and it’s free. You could try that and see if it works there as a means of troubleshooting the nmea input. Plus, if you like it, it’s another app to fall back on.

Nobeltec did have a way to see/read the nmea sentences as they came in. That’s how you would verify what is/isn’t translating. It’s in the menu/options somewhere.

In any case, that software is getting a bit hard to support.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote