NN3D - Why upgrade to TimeZero?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatpapabear

Vessel Name
Play d'eau
Vessel Make
Fleming 55
My electronics provider is saying I should upgrade from NN3D to Time Zero Pro but I'm finding it really hard to see the benefits apart from a later software and a touch screen. I don't find the TZ website much help either.

So what are the specific advantages?

Last edited:
If you're not unhappy with the performance and features of your NN3D setup then why change?

I've never "loved" the four NN3D displays in our EB47 (2 up, 2 down). But nor did I dislike them enough to spend the coin to replace them.

Until this past Fall when the radome died. Now, I can either get another decade old tech radome... or I can upgrade to a new radar setup, which will require new displays.

I'm planning on keeping two of the NN3D units; 1 up, 1 down and putting in two new TZT3 displays. This will get me the new radar, faster chart displaying features, better AIS/MARPA integration and touchscreen. I won't have to replace any of my other sensors or displays as they're all still compatible.

I will probably also replace the VHF as the Icom seems to have killed yet another second station commandmic.

I've had TZ, since version 2. Now have 4. Not impressed. Never use the 3d part. I use OpenCPN the most. Also have Coastal Explorer, not impressed there either. On the ocean I run 2 different programs on 2 computers in case one craps out.

Do like open. Run it on a toughbook as backup when offshore. But prefer navionics on a iPad as backup when coastal. Just find it easier to read and have details get into my brain at a glance. Usually run radar andAIS on a separate screen not as a overlay. Find it easier to track targets and get information about them. Particularly tracking point of closest approach.
Think people are different in how they like information given to them. You’re about to spend significant boat bucks. Would still go some where or to friends boats any play with all the brands. Think presentation is as important as the latest and greatest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom