New salon lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
As per the request of the Sicilian, I tried out a new LED light in the galley...an 8.5" diameter, 800 lumen LED. The light did not cover the original holes in the overhead, so I had to come up with a cover ring. It turned out so well, I am goin' to also replace all the salon lights.

P1010001 (4).jpg
The original light fixture unlit
P1010006 (2).jpg
The original light fixture lit with two halogen lamps
P1010002 (2).jpg
The new "flyin' saucer fixture, unlit
P1010005 (2).jpg
The new fixture lit
P1010007 (2).jpg
The cover ring we got at a plastic supply house from their scrap bin. They sell scrap plastic at two bucks a pound.

Very good, we have converted most of ours.

ancora - like it! Dimmable? Who's the vendor?

I'm gradually doing an LED conversion on our boat too. I always thought the old yellow-ish lights were cozier, glowing invitingly at the dock as we come back to the boat in Newport Harbor on a foggy, rainy night for example. Over time though, I've changed my mind. For all the exterior and nav lights, I can install brighter LED's than the old bulbs at a small fraction of the power drain. For the interior lights, the halogens especially get ridiculously hot, they burn out far too often, and now we can get 2700-3000k "temperature" LED's that look close enough to the old bulbs that it doesn't feel cold and harsh. It's gotten to be a no-brainer now, and I was originally one of the incandescent hold-outs.

(Of course the first time I changed all the little stairway courtesy lights (festoon bulbs about 1" long, 1/4" diameter) I got really annoyed that half of them didn't work and I was cursing the vendor -- until duh, I remembered LED's are often still polarized and I just flipped them. Good thing I didn't get disgusted and throw the "dead" ones in the water.)

ancora - like it! Dimmable? Who's the vendor?

Marinebeam has a rectangular LED light, about 5 x 9", that is both dimmable and is a blue or red night light. Best part is no dimmer switch is required. A simple button switch integrated into the fixture turns the light on and off and is the dimmer as well. We have seven installed. Two in the master head, one in the forward head, and three in the galley that light the countertops. Highly recommended and not wildly expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
In response to member's requests: the light is made by Dream Lighting, it is warm white 800 Lumens and is dimmable. Purchased on Amazon, of course.

In response to member's requests: the light is made by Dream Lighting, it is warm white 800 Lumens and is dimmable. Purchased on Amazon, of course.

ancora - thanks for helpful input re lighting. :thumb:

You never cease to amaze me. You know why I say that... most don't! :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom