New house bank not meeting expectations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What size refer do you have? I would be surprised if it runs on 37 AH per day unless it is really small. Manufacturers are usually very optimistic about electrical usage.

Sorry, missed this one - Isotherm Cruise 130. Yes, it's small but the specs seem to match my experience. The trade off is - hot weather has more sun and I gather more solar, but the refer runs more. Cold weather has less sun and I run the refer less, but the heater more.

I lived off the grid in the military and there are tricks to balance requirements. They can be inconvenient at times (particularly in extreme weather), but all in all it's manageable for how I use the boat.

If I read correctly, solar works better in the cold, there is also less moisture in the atmosphere to block radiation.

True the angle is better, and days are longer in Summer...but cold makes the panels more productive all, other things equal.

So geographic location can be important for fixed panels...on a boat unless movable, they are really low output due to all sorts of reasons.

Some of my highest Amp outputs were on crisp, cool winter days.

Last edited:
Here in the Florida Keys by far the largest affect on solar panel production are partial sun blocks or shadows from boat structure ect.. on panels. There are grid style circuits on the panels and half of them are in series, so if you block or cast a shadow across the panel even though it may only cover say 5% of the panel it could be blocking a circuit that accounts for half the output. The other major issue is not having the battery capacity to store the charge so consequently the panel control goes to float charge most of the time.

Bud

What is your total amp hour load over 48 hours?

Very cool! Ordered one, thanks!

I've installed a switchable breaker between my MPPT solar controller and the battery bank. This makes it easy to switch off the solar charging if I don't want the panels on line.

That could damage the charger. The instructions say not to have panels connected to the charger unless the charger is connected to a battery.

IF not yet installed a SOC (state of charge) meter should solve any battery performance issues.

Does the batt set get to 14.4V at the end of every charge cycle?

If memory serves a Gp 31 is about 60lbs so 3 of them would be about equal to a single 8D .

"Oh, and I think 3 Group 31 batteries is a very small bank to begin with."

Most gp 31 are start batts , unless yours are deep cycle , you will never be happy with the discharge or service life.

Read the tag on the batt CCA? probably starts , Amps at 20 hour rate ?, good! probably real deep cycles.
Exactly what I was thinking . Most probably let acid group 31 batteries are not deep cycle regardless of what they say on the label

Shutting down solar input

That could damage the charger. The instructions say not to have panels connected to the charger unless the charger is connected to a battery.

I installed this switchable breaker between the solar panels and the charge controller on my Pilot 30.

RKURCK 20 Amp Circuit Breaker Manual Reset Waterproof Inline Fuse Inverter for Car Marine Trolling Motors Boat ATV Audio Solar Inverter System Protect

I am starting to install my new house bank. It will be 3 Lion Energy UT1300 LiFePO3 105 amp hour batteries. They can be discharged to 0% but it is better to stay above 20%. I am putting in a Balmar 120 amp alternator dedicated to the house bank. Also a Balmar SG200 SOC meter. I just programmed the MC614 regulator. I had 4 6 volt GC batteries for the house bank. I was going to increase it to 6 6 volt batteries but in order to do that I would have had to remove the A/C compressor so a new self contained A/C would have cost $2400. So the Lithium batteries ended up being cheaper than putting in 6 new 6 volt GC batteries. I am not going to put the Lithium batteries in the engine room so I will gain some space there. We had an ice maker that has never been used to that is where the Lithium batteries will live. With the Lithium batteries I will have 252 amp hours usable and still stay above 20% SOC. The Lion batteries have posts that are removable so I am going to use copper bus bars to connect the batteries instead of cables.

regard to solar panel monitoring output voltage check at charging and at off. consider throwing a blanket over the panels during the sunniest part of the day. Should work.

BKay, I feel your pain and letting you know you are not alone. I'm going thru the same, not electrically proficient, batteries crapping out after 8 months, batteries being overcharged, 250w solar that i don't if it is working, a controller regulating output, I think, a Outback FX inverter charger that is doing something at sometimes, no battery monitor yet and no idea of our power usage.

Do you feel better yet? My good news is we are on the hard in Port Charlotte harbor with some good boatyards and electricians about.

All the best,
Rick

If I read correctly, solar works better in the cold, there is also less moisture in the atmosphere to block radiation.
Some of my highest Amp outputs were on crisp, cool winter days.

Heat of the solar panel also affects the power efficiency... The cooler it can run (within reason) the more efficient it runs.

Back
Top Bottom