New AC units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caseyh

The boat has its original cruise air units using 22R. They are set up as 2 compressors. One for the valley and one goes to the front v berth and the other goes to the state room.

Going to to replace the 2 units. What should i look at getting? I am lost on this.

Why are you replacing the units? Just because they have R22 in them is no reason to do so. Are they self-contained units with compressor and fan unit in one package or "split" units? "Split" units have the compressor in one place and the fan/coil unit in another. The description of which compressor/unit services which part of the boat is confusing. The cubic footage of the spaces served determines the BTU capacity needed. If what you have is adequate, look at the nameplate on the units to determine the BTU capacity you have and replace with similar capacity. Dometic is probably the largest supplier of marine refrigeration and AC units; check their site for the specifications on units. They specify the BTU capacity as well as length, width, and height. As an example, I had a 7,000 BTU unit fail, but it was inadequate to cool the area concerned. I installed a 10,000 BTU unit which would fit into the same footprint and which I calculated would do the job. Luckily all the hose fittings were the same size; so replacement took about and hour.

One compressor is shot and the other is on it’s way out. Have to remove the one that’s kind of working to get to the bad one. They are both split units.

We replaced our 16K BTU Marine Airrr Vector Compact units with Dometic Turbo DTU16s. Several design improvements, worked well, at least for the relatively short time we had the boat after that...

-Chris

One compressor is shot and the other is on it’s way out. Have to remove the one that’s kind of working to get to the bad one. They are both split units.

That's a bummer because you will be without any AC while installing the new ones. My self-installation experience is with several self-contained units, but I assisted the technician who installed a split unit in my trawler. I think there may be split units which come pre-charged with quick-disconnect fittings meaning you do not have to have the tech with the knowledge and gear to charge it up after installation. Maybe you can figure out a way to install several smaller self-contained units instead of the splits. Best of luck, and I hope you will let us know how you fare.

Back
Top Bottom