Needing a 12vdc light track

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Brockerts

Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
The 30 year old 12vdc track lighting system died. You would think an easy replacement. However, finding a 12vdc track seems to be the issue. Google, duckduckgo are both worn out....LOL..RV dealers are looking at me strange too. Lots of 120v tracks with 12vdc LED lights. Those transformers on each light look bad and I'd have to re-wire to get 120v in the ceiling, ugh. Maybe just run the 120v track with 12vdc and wire around the transformer? Voltage drop be an issue? We are only looking at 10 feet. Any ideas on how to make this project easier ?

The Brockerts

your on the right track I have used plenty of 120 fixtures by putting 12v bulbs in them. likely this is what was originally done go for it it will be fine

I have "converted" 120V fixtures many, many times. Just put the 12V bulbs in and connect to your 12V supply. The wires and connectors don't care (within reason).

I use LED bulbs in 'warm white' to get an incandescent look.

Here's a 2-level brightness project I did with six 120V lamp fixtures on our current boat.

Attachments

• 20190102_205958.jpg
    20190102_205958.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Lamps.pdf
    710.1 KB · Views: 17
Your existing track died, how? No chance of refurbishing it?

As Mike points out, there are such things as DC light bulbs that have an Edison screw fitting on them. That'd let you use any AC setup with a DC bulb, from your DC power. You'd probably do well to put some kind of label in/on the fixture to remind the next guy that it's NOT an AC fixture anymore.

https://store.marinebeam.com/compact-edison-medium-screw-base-a45-led-bulb/

Your existing track died, how? No chance of refurbishing it?

As Mike points out, there are such things as DC light bulbs that have an Edison screw fitting on them. That'd let you use any AC setup with a DC bulb, from your DC power. You'd probably do well to put some kind of label in/on the fixture to remind the next guy that it's NOT an AC fixture anymore.

https://store.marinebeam.com/compact-edison-medium-screw-base-a45-led-bulb/

I have two wall fixtures in my main cabin. Both are fitted with Edison screw DC 12v bulbs. Both are ordinary AC fixtures, with regular AC two conductor plugs. My wall plugs (from the factory in 1980) are: for AC, three conductor, for DC, two conductor (regular old AC, but without the ground lug). Only if you are not familiar with this setup you could plug DC into the AC outlet, not the reverse. Have had that occur once only. We learned right away!

The connections from the light fixture to the track, that is nothing more than a cable, are little pins that pierce the cable. Those little pins are gone after 30 years. Not much material left to work with. That track system seemed "rigged up" and certainly not made for a marine environment.

The Brockerts

Back
Top Bottom