Needed: RF-controlled switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I would like to have remote control of my boat shed lights as I approach home base at night as well as from the house. Dawn to dusk lighting is out because of the attraction of bugs/spiders, and motion sensing is also not on the table because every time the boat sways in its lift in the wind at night, the lights would come on. Thus, I have come up with the idea of a fob-operated switch: i guess like a garage door opener. It would need to be able to control about 200 Watts worth of LED lighting I am planning to install. I am looking at some examples online in my initial search, but soon realized that some of the smart folks here probably have some reality-based knowledge I can lean on. The system is in the initial stages of design with the PVC conduit and wiring and couplers on hand, and the flood lights are on order. Now for some fancy switching....

Gosund.com

Control smart switches from your phone. I use them to control lights in the house and
WAZE cameras (26.00 waze.com)
Great to check on the house from anywhere in the world while cruising, or vacation.

The product I use is Gosund WP5 smart plug.

I used X10 products some years back when I had property consisting of 3 separate buildings. I wanted to be able to operate some lights from other buildings and didn't want to pull new wires. I also wanted a remote for a similar reasons as yours.

Leviton also makes remote controls. There is some compatibility between X10 and Leviton but it takes research and trial and error.

Search "wireless remote control switch", lots of options. I am guessing you want something that doesn't require wifi or internet in the boat shed, like this...(plug and play, no hard wiring required)

Fosmon C-10683 Wireless Remote Control Outdoor Electrical Outlet Switch Weatherproof Heavy Duty 3-Prong Plug-in ETL Listed ($17)

Gosund.com

Control smart switches from your phone. I use them to control lights in the house and
WAZE cameras (26.00 waze.com)
Great to check on the house from anywhere in the world while cruising, or vacation.

Many people in my life continue to give me grief about not owning a smart phone.:banghead:

The product I use is Gosund WP5 smart plug.

Looks easy for those with smart phones. I am building a fortress here resistant to strong hurricanes after the original shed was blown down by Michael over 19 months ago, and it all needs to be bulletproof and weathertight.

I used X10 products some years back when I had property consisting of 3 separate buildings. I wanted to be able to operate some lights from other buildings and didn't want to pull new wires. I also wanted a remote for a similar reasons as yours.

Leviton also makes remote controls. There is some compatibility between X10 and Leviton but it takes research and trial and error.

This is a good pair of leads and heading in the direction I think I want to go. Thanks.

Search "wireless remote control switch", lots of options. I am guessing you want something that doesn't require wifi or internet in the boat shed, like this...(plug and play, no hard wiring required)

Fosmon C-10683 Wireless Remote Control Outdoor Electrical Outlet Switch Weatherproof Heavy Duty 3-Prong Plug-in ETL Listed ($17)

You are correct! This is the sort of thing I am looking for. I could cut the plug cord and wire it right into the system and weather proof it. Not quite sure how I would handle the female plug end. Maybe so disassembly is in order - I love taking things apart!:rofl:

do you every listen?
:lol:

HOLLYWOOD

It's more fun to come up to the surface after being in the water with my waterproof flip and make a call in front of them.:)

You're welcome!

Next: put a rotary dial app on your flip phone. Then ask the young ones to make a call with it. Many can't figure it out, requires knowing the number too.

You're welcome!

Next: put a rotary dial app on your flip phone. Then ask the young ones to make a call with it. Many can't figure it out, requires knowing the number too.

I saw a funny video where the millenials were confused that the data input made by dialing the phone was not working when after "data entry" they finally picked up the receiver. :banghead::rofl:

I have several of these running different things. Works well for me. Got it on Amazon. Fosmon C-10683 Wireless Remote Control Outdoor Electrical Outlet Switch Weatherproof Heavy Duty 3-Prong Plug-in ETL Listed (Battery Included), 1 PACK

Back
Top Bottom