Need a new WiFi solution as my Bullet is dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
The WiriePro that was on our new to us boat solved a few connectivity problems in its short life with us, but I managed to finish off the weakly attached antenna when collapsing the bimini during last year's take out. I spent what seemed like a lot of time over the winter trying to fix or reattach the antenna, but I now think it's a goner.

No problem with the mobile router and even though we don't (yet) use the cellular aspect, I understand the software that manages the router and LAN and it works for me. What I need is a new WiFi radio. Where should I be looking?

Attachments

• IMG_7444.jpg
    IMG_7444.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 26
And as long as I am re-engineering my boat LAN, why wouldn't I relocate the new WiFi radio and relatively vulnerable mobile router to the safety of a salon location and simply run the right kind of cable to the antenna mounted up on the radar mast?

And as long as I am re-engineering my boat LAN, why wouldn't I relocate the new WiFi radio and relatively vulnerable mobile router to the safety of a salon location and simply run the right kind of cable to the antenna mounted up on the radar mast?

For both wifi and cellular, there's a lot of loss in antenna cabling due to the high frequencies. Even with good cable. So locating the hardware to provide a short run to the antenna will give better results, even if it means more work to weatherproof the hardware.

Ah-hah, that makes sense and explains why products like the Bullet put the electronics up on the mast along with the antenna. Might be easiest and least expensive to simply buy a replacement Bullet. I've seen them for $70.

Since you are re-doing things, why not go with really good gear, with really good support?

I have used Cradlepoint routers for years. They are industrial grade equipment and are in use world wide. www.cradlepoint.com

My current router is a AER1600 and is probably two years old. It has two modem cards which I haver set up for separate carriers. I have a poynting omni 402 antenna on one of the modems to give me a bit more reach

On this model the wifi antenna is internal, I would choose a model with external wifi if you want to use WIFI as your internet connection.

Then you could choose a good antenna with a wifi and a 5G capable element and connections.

I am living with a lot of inherited equipment at this point in my boat life and the WiriePro is a good example. It's circa 2015 tech, but is plenty for what I do. We will in time, but I have yet to encounter WiFi signal strength problems. My problem is that without the Bullet, I can not use the convenience of the Wirie mobile router management software or the LAN it creates on our boat.

The Groove 52 looks like an appropriate replacement. And the price is certainly right. Thanks Larry.

I used the Groove in my new setup as well. So far it's working well. Not the slickest to configure, but using that to pull in wifi and feed to my Pepwave router was a much cheaper solution than putting external wifi antennas on the Pepwave, letting that pull in wifi and then adding a separate access point for onboard wifi.

Have a Bullet on one boat and a Mikrotik Metal 52ac on the other. Like the Mikrotik better.

I also use a MicroTik 52AC to pick up remote Wifi and it works great. It is not the easiest to configure, but there are guides online and it's really stable once you have it setup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom