Old 06-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Adelaide
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Need ideas for mounting radar

I have a 30' Tung Hwa Clipper sedan named Adelaide.

The mast on Adelaide is old and tired. It has stays that limit the available use of the upper deck and doesn't fit under the roof of my covered slip. The pressure it places on the upper deck is visible in the inside of my cabin.

With that said, I want to dump it and move to a different set up. Mounting it on the front of the cabin a couple feet from my head isn't something I want to do, as it is unsightly and too close to my head.

What I am thinking is some sort of telescoping pole mount that can be placed along the port side, upper railing of my boat. This would allow me to raise it up 6-8' when in use, then lowered down to 3-4' when not in use. Is there such a thing? If not, what other ideas might you have?
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Do you have a flybridge?
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
I have a 30' Tung Hwa Clipper sedan named Adelaide.

The mast on Adelaide is old and tired. It has stays that limit the available use of the upper deck and doesn't fit under the roof of my covered slip. The pressure it places on the upper deck is visible in the inside of my cabin.

With that said, I want to dump it and move to a different set up. Mounting it on the front of the cabin a couple feet from my head isn't something I want to do, as it is unsightly and too close to my head.

What I am thinking is some sort of telescoping pole mount that can be placed along the port side, upper railing of my boat. This would allow me to raise it up 6-8' when in use, then lowered down to 3-4' when not in use. Is there such a thing? If not, what other ideas might you have?
---------------------------------------
If you want to keep the trawler look, that leaves out the radar arch, the Californians have a hinged aluminum mast that is mounted to the roof of the aft cabin and supported by a bracket on the lip of the flybridge roof. It only needs stays for support if you attach the boom and use it to lift. Otherwise it's self supporting. Pull the stainless pin and it tips back easily.
Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Do you have a flybridge?

Yep, you can see it in my pic to the left. It's similar to a CHB (Montery Jack), but don't have the aft cabin. I have a large upper helm area with railing all the way around.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
If you want to keep the trawler look, that leaves out the radar arch, the Californians have a hinged aluminum mast that is mounted to the roof of the aft cabin and supported by a bracket on the lip of the flybridge roof. It only needs stays for support if you attach the boom and use it to lift. Otherwise it's self supporting. Pull the stainless pin and it tips back easily.
Larry B

That's similar to my Dad's set up on his CHB. I don't have the Aft cabin. Here is brochure of my boat MV Intrinsic. That sister ship (Intrinsic), has a much better mast than mine, even though Intrinsic is a couple years older than Adelaide. Anyway, Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Yep, you can see it in my pic to the left. It's similar to a CHB (Montery Jack), but don't have the aft cabin. I have a large upper helm area with railing all the way around.
Remember that radar signals are bad for your health.That's why I ask.I couldn't tell for sure from your pic.Edelweiss pretty much said what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Larry B
Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Remember that radar signals are bad for your health.That's why I ask.I couldn't tell for sure from your pic.Edelweiss pretty much said what I was thinking.

Thanks, that's exactly why I don't want to mount it in the front of the upper cabin, right above the lower helm. I see that all too often.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Sail Boats often

Sail boats often have a pole mount that is a simple 3" stainless tube and base plate that they mount on their aft deck that stands about 6' above the deck. You could build one with a hinged base plate that could be easily laid down on the deck.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Thanks, that's exactly why I don't want to mount it in the front of the upper cabin, right above the lower helm. I see that all too often.
You're welcome.We have the same thinking on radar,I believe.I see that too and it kind of bothers me.Most people only use radar in really fowl weather and are usually inside,not on the flybridge.What about the boat next door?Couldn't that possibly cause issues for them if the radar is at the same height as the occupants?I don't know, so I would rather see them high.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
You're welcome.We have the same thinking on radar,I believe.I see that too and it kind of bothers me.Most people only use radar in really fowl weather and are usually inside,not on the flybridge.What about the boat next door?Couldn't that possibly cause issues for them if the radar is at the same height as the occupants?I don't know, so I would rather see them high.

If you're referring to Monterey Jack, his radar is well above his head, that pic looks deceiving due to the canvas and my huge mast. With that said, he operates (as I do) from the lower helm until he goes to dock it.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
If you're referring to Monterey Jack, his radar is well above his head, that pic looks deceiving due to the canvas and my huge mast. With that said, he operates (as I do) from the lower helm until he goes to dock it.

I wasn't referring to any specific boat,just a few I have seen with them mounted right above the forward windshield.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
In today's world, not all radars are the same. I certainly agree that the "typical" radomes do need to be given a wide berth, but the new broadband radars (only Simrad & Lowrance to my knowledge) are apparently harmful emissions free.

Our Ennos Sapphire 32 has essentially the same upper deck arrangement as Intrinsic/Adelaide and we installed a 7' aluminum mast at the stern end of our upper deck last year. It has a base plate of about 15" square (I'm guessing) and is attached to the stern rail (about 30" high). As you can see in the attached photos, we have a Furuno 4KW antenna on top, with the LED anchor light, plus two wings for the GPS & weather station antennae. The mast was about $725 CDN in 2011.

We have a 6'4" son in law and we calculated that the radar beam would pass over his head if he was standing at the helm.

And for fun I've also included a photo of us rafted to your earlier referenced MV Intrinsic - a very nice vessel!

Well, sorry, but the system won't let me post photos this AM so I'll send them later.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
In today's world, not all radars are the same. I certainly agree that the "typical" radomes do need to be given a wide berth, but the new broadband radars (only Simrad & Lowrance to my knowledge) are apparently harmful emissions free.

Our Ennos Sapphire 32 has essentially the same upper deck arrangement as Intrinsic/Adelaide and we installed a 7' aluminum mast at the stern end of our upper deck last year. It has a base plate of about 15" square (I'm guessing) and is attached to the stern rail (about 30" high). As you can see in the attached photos, we have a Furuno 4KW antenna on top, with the LED anchor light, plus two wings for the GPS & weather station antennae. The mast was about $725 CDN in 2011.

We have a 6'4" son in law and we calculated that the radar beam would pass over his head if he was standing at the helm.

And for fun I've also included a photo of us rafted to your earlier referenced MV Intrinsic - a very nice vessel!

Well, sorry, but the system won't let me post photos this AM so I'll send them later.
Thanks Conrad, I am very interested in seeing your set up. This is very similar to what I would like to do.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Guru

Maybe if I load them one at a time...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0846.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
Guru

Two...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0848.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Guru

Three....sorry about the previous photo falling over.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0152.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #17

Thanks again Conrad. Intrinsic is a very nice vessel, I would love for Adelaide to look like that some day (long way to go). Is your mast made of Aluminum? How heavy is it? Did a yard do it custom for you? That's a nice set up at a very good price.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
.Most people only use radar in really fowl weather and are usually inside,not on the flybridge.
I have the radar on whenever operating the boat, if nothing more than to practice interpreting the radar display as well as to exercise the system, even in the marina while berthed.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Thanks again Conrad. Intrinsic is a very nice vessel, I would love for Adelaide to look like that some day (long way to go). Is your mast made of Aluminum? How heavy is it? Did a yard do it custom for you? That's a nice set up at a very good price.
I'll pass your comment on to Intrinsic's owner. He keeps her in a boathouse, which really helps.

Yes, the mast is aluminium, and although I don't know its weight, it is easily carried in one hand. It was custom made in Campbell River by Coast Industrial Propeller; I was very happy with the workmanship, price, and timeliness of the build. It was made out of marine quality aluminum, whatever that is.

Incidentally the 7' mast replaced a 4' stainless mast, which was MUCH heavier.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
I'll pass your comment on to Intrinsic's owner. He keeps her in a boathouse, which really helps.

Yes, the mast is aluminium, and although I don't know its weight, it is easily carried in one hand. It was custom made in Campbell River by Coast Industrial Propeller; I was very happy with the workmanship, price, and timeliness of the build. It was made out of marine quality aluminum, whatever that is.

Incidentally the 7' mast replaced a 4' stainless mast, which was MUCH heavier.
I also meant to say that the rational for having the radome so high is that we always have the radar on for familiarity, judging tracks of multiple vessels in poor/strange light, and for the occasional night run (arriving after dark etc.). I would only want to be upstairs during a night run.