Navionics /iPad with 15.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodscrew

Vessel Name
Northern Star
Vessel Make
Bristol 42 1970
In December we got two new iPhone 13’s and one new 12.9” iPad with version 15.2. Have been using Navionics on iPads for four years. Within an hour on our first trip the iPad would lose all speed,heading,and time data, the cursor would swing about 120 degrees to port and the screen would freeze. Over and over again. Switched to the new iPhones with the same result. Finally broke out our ancient iPad 8” with version 14.8 and it works fine. Have spoken with Navionics and apple back in January. Apple says Navionics has to catch up with the latest versions from apple. Navionics says we will just wait. Meantime about $3000.00 dollars worth of devices are next to useless for navigation. We left the Keys running the new 12.9” iPad and all seemed fine. For about 2 hours. The it twitched. And then it lost all data. Then it froze. Over and over again. So it’s tough to know if the issue has been resolved without running for a few hours with fingers crossed. With only one, older, smaller device that works reliably and no backup. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know if a fix is available? Also worth noting that Aqua Map did the same thing.

Navionics seems to work ok on version 15.3.1. Although I have not used it for any length of time as boat not in water yet. This is on a 5th generation iPad.

When i bought my boat there was no Navigation on it so I used my iPad. I had TZ iBoat installed on it though. Never failed, whenever I got into a tight spot, it would quit tracking, freeze up, or do something stupid. Had some tense moments while trying to restart and get things running again while the rocks on both sides seemed to pulling the boat towards them. Finally had enough and spent the money on a laptop that was dedicated to just Navigation and a GPS hooked up to it. A computer savvy fellow did some setting adjustments so it wouldn’t all of a sudden decide to do an update at the worst possible time. Haven’t regretted it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom