Old 12-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
Navigation Software for new tablet

Got a new Nexus 7 32gb for Xmas. Any suggestions/recommendations regarding navigation software? Looked at a few potentials but all seem to have their critics. Anyone using a new (2013) Nexus 7 for navigation? From what I can gather, Navionics only supports last years model. There are a few inexpensive apps, but, I'm just a little skeptical about just how accurate they might be.
Thanks for your input.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
I use "plan2nav" by Jeppeson on my ver1. Nexus 7 . I'm not sure about the new Nexus. This program syncs with active captain as well.

Mark

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

Although it is not navigation software you might want to load up the free Active Captain Companion. Even it you don't use it actively it does give you access to the Active Captain hazards, bridges, tides, anchorages and marina information offline.

Dave
Old 12-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
i have the maxsea app for my ipad. They probably have a android version as well.

I dont navigate with it but i use it frequently for route planning.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Guru

City: Pensacola
I recommend a good tidal chart app as well
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
Kevin:
I checked their web site and didn't see any reference to either Android or Apple OS. Just windows based. What I'm trying to do is back up my Raymarine system. I have a handheld Garmin, but this Nexus has a much bigger screen and a true built in GPS which I could also attach an external antenna if required. Maybe I have to wait another year or so before a reliable app is developed. Just would be handy to have.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barpilot View Post
Kevin:
I checked their web site and didn't see any reference to either Android or Apple OS. Just windows based. What I'm trying to do is back up my Raymarine system. I have a handheld Garmin, but this Nexus has a much bigger screen and a true built in GPS which I could also attach an external antenna if required. Maybe I have to wait another year or so before a reliable app is developed. Just would be handy to have.
I got mine at the iTunes App Store. The App was free and for aprox 50 bucks I got North America charts.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
The apps are so inexpensive that it's worth having a few to experiment with and then have multiple backups with. I use Plan2Nav on my N7.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #9

City: Baltimore
I have Marine Navigator. I started with the free or 'Lite' version and upgraded to the reasonably priced full version. uses Noaa charts downloaded from the web. Honestly, its as good or better than any 'recreational' chart plotter. For planning and for active captain access i use 'nuticharts' it is not a plotter but it is a great, fast, Active captain interfaced, planing tool.

the active captain app, companion is a pain in the BUTT to use. don't even waste your time until they get some better quality maps. When you zoom in close enough to see which marker you are clicking on the map gets so blurry you can't see geographical features to help 'index' where you are looking at.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Kevin:
I checked their web site and didn't see any reference to either Android or Apple OS. Just windows based.
Looks like it is an IPad app at this time, see website

MaxSea looks the same as the Nobletec TimeZero app, both use mmd3 charts only.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #11

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
Got a new Nexus 7 32gb for Xmas. Any suggestions/recommendations regarding navigation software? Looked at a few potentials but all seem to have their critics. Anyone using a new (2013) Nexus 7 for navigation? From what I can gather, Navionics only supports last years model. There are a few inexpensive apps, but, I'm just a little skeptical about just how accurate they might be.
Thanks for your input.
I know that there are people having OpenCPN running on the "Nexus 7"

From the other forum "On my Nexus-7 (2013) I was able to install Debian-Wheezy, XFCE, plus OpenCPN. TurboGPS feeds the Nexus GPS-data to OpenCPN."

Link: Scroll to message #300

For OpenCPN Link: OpenCPN a Chartplotter and GPS Navigation Software.
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseyoung View Post
the active captain app, companion is a pain in the BUTT to use. don't even waste your time until they get some better quality maps.
That misses the point about what the Companion is. The map display is a minor element right now. The major thing is being warned by voice about hazards in your path and having something that keeps all the ActiveCaptain data offline. There are 15,000 people who have installed it. Surely some who have been warned about going aground don't think it's a pain in the butt to use.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
There are probably dozens of marine charting and navigation apps, but to keep up with the descriptions and user reviews of marinas, anchorages, hazzards etc along the way the Active Captain Companion ap is first class.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
That misses the point about what the Companion is. The map display is a minor element right now. The major thing is being warned by voice about hazards in your path and having something that keeps all the ActiveCaptain data offline. There are 15,000 people who have installed it. Surely some who have been warned about going aground don't think it's a pain in the butt to use.

Agreed. there is much potential and am looking forward to the updates. i am one of the 15000, in fact i have it on 3 devices. I have never used while underway for voice alerts of danger. So if that is the primary purpose then i am not using as you intended.

ActiveCaptain (website) is a great planning tool, which is how i attempted to use companion. Honestly, it is not a good tool for planning or to see what is nearby. Perhaps it would work better (for that purpose) somewhere that 'things' weren't so close together.

I am not trying to offend you in anyway. I am sorry if i did. I am just trying to be honest about the software i use.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

Quote:
ActiveCaptain (website) is a great planning tool, which is how i attempted to use companion. Honestly, it is not a good tool for planning or to see what is nearby. Perhaps it would work better (for that purpose) somewhere that 'things' weren't so close together.

I am not trying to offend you in anyway. I am sorry if i did. I am just trying to be honest about the software i use.
That's fair - it's not good for planning right now. My goal for the first release was to just get it out and working on the 4 platforms. That's pretty much complete with very minor issues. There's a tremendous amount coming next for it.

I'm not offended - I'm from Brooklyn, NY - you've got to try really hard to offend me! I just want to see the app being used for it's intended use - and it's really an app for use while underway.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #16

well, if i am being honest...i don't need another thing to run, watch or play with while underway. MAKE IT DO IT ALL! Cmon' i know you can! LOL @ Being from Brooklyn...i was thinking all that easy Maine coastal living made you soft! In fairness and disclosure i used to work for Bean in Freeport.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
The apps are so inexpensive that it's worth having a few to experiment with and then have multiple backups with. I use Plan2Nav on my N7.
Hi, AC, does your app work with Navionics, and for our waters around Australia, or is it mainly North America orientated..? I like the idea of some voice warnings, a la car nav apps…hearing you might be in danger from something like a shallow before you find out you are sounds good to me...
Old 12-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #18
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Hi, AC, does your app work with Navionics, and for our waters around Australia, or is it mainly North America orientated..?
It's worldwide. It doesn't use nautical charts - it's really for something different.

Re: doing it all...

It just can't. And a chartplotter can't do the things the Companion will do. We're sort of at the point, I think, where we don't need yet another screen showing charts and your position. I think there's a need for additional knowledge and help while underway.

For example:

1. A display showing where your friends are located and where they're moving to shouldn't be cluttering up your navigation screen.

2. A display looking ahead at your next week (or month) of travel can continuously assist you with fuel purchases once it knows how much fuel you carry, how low you're willing to go, and how much you burn. Looking at all the possibilities of pricing will find a variety of ways to save money in major ways.

3. When your route includes a restricted bridge ahead (perhaps many miles ahead), your chartplotter is doing too many other things to maintain an accurate ETA for the bridge based on no wake zones and perhaps even current in the channels.

All of those things are best done on a separate display. I personally think that a phone is the perfect platform for the capability especially since there are voice alerts built in so as to not take your attention until it's really needed.

Those are 3 things. We have 3 pages of planned enhancements like that which we consider companion types of functions that just don't exist on any chartplotter today.

So I could spend time building nautical charts or I could work on adding these functions that just don't exist anywhere else. Given that I honestly think it'll all work better on an additional display, I can't see wasting time on charts. It would also greatly cut the use outside the US (which today is 65% and shrinking every day).
Old 12-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #19

i agree no need for charts. There are plenty of plotters that do that just fine. Maybe a google maps overlay? that would be fine for the purpose.

I don't need to navigate with it, but, when i zoom in on Baltimore, inner harbor, for example, the markers are so close and the maps so bury i literally can't use it because i can't make out geographical feature to help to tell exactly where/what part of the harbor i am looking at.

Now that i have totally hijacked the op's thread. Sorry bout' that.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #20

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
--
Quote:
i agree no need for charts. There are plenty of plotters that do that just fine. Maybe a google maps overlay? that would be fine for the purpose.

I don't need to navigate with it, but, when i zoom in on Baltimore, inner harbor, for example, the markers are so close and the maps so bury i literally can't use it because i can't make out geographical feature to help to tell exactly where/what part of the harbor i am looking at.

Now that i have totally hijacked the op's thread. Sorry bout' that.

This is not hijacking a thread, this what i call destroying a thread with advertisements.

ActiveCaptain is NOT Navigation Software............
123 is offline   Reply With Quote