Navigation light lenses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ARoss

Guru
Vessel Name
My Yuki
Vessel Make
1973 Marine Trader 34
I was getting my annual safety inspection by our Power Squadron over the weekend, and it was pointed out that my starboard "green" running light wasn't very green any more, but had turned blue. It does not appear to be the result of UV light, since the entire lens is affected, not just the small exposed part.

I think it 's by Perko, but there are no brand markings on the light or the base. It's only a couple of years old; the former lights were really pitted on the outside, and I thought these might last a little longer.

I'm thinking my only easy option is to find a green 12v light, and take the lens out entirely.

Any comments or suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC00082.jpg
    DSC00082.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 123
Pretty sure you can still get lenses for that style...me...I would upgrade to the MUCH brighter Hella or aqua Signal series that use much larger bulbs.

It looks like the light is stainless steel. If it is SS, it's not Perko but a knock off of the Perko design. If it was Perko, it would say Perko on it. The Perko lens may fit if it's a good copy.

Funny Al... We always kid around about Skinny Dippin' having pink and blue when we first got her. I finally replaced with Aqua Signal 25's.

If you leave the lense out, the socket will soon corrode.

If you installed these lights a couple years ago, why not go back to where you got them and see about a replacement lense.

Or like others suggested, replace both lights with a quality amd popular brand.

How often do you test your running lights? Me? Every few months. Haven't operated at night (but a time or two in fog), and have shown anchor light the couple of times I've anchored out last year.

img_85038_0_ec507fdaec588a5ed99c32f780dab2a1.jpg

A short term/tight-ass solution for faded colors is painting the outside surface of the lens with the appropriate color, taking care not to overdo the density. Sounds weird but it works. Can`t see it helping so much where the color actually changes rather than fades. Colored bulbs are another solution to faded lenses,especially where the fitting and/or lens are unavailable and replacing the whole assembly will necessitate other work. BruceK

A short term/tight-ass solution for faded colors is painting the outside surface of the lens with the appropriate color, taking care not to overdo the density. Sounds weird but it works. Can`t see it helping so much where the color actually changes rather than fades. Colored bulbs are another solution to faded lenses,especially where the fitting and/or lens are unavailable and replacing the whole assembly will necessitate other work. BruceK

While I know painting works (when you work commercially you do all sorts of money saving/time expedient things)...it cuts down the light emitted that I would never recommend it for those bottom of the foodchain lights.

Doing it to higher end much brighter than required light for your boat is one thing...not the other way around.

That light is USCG grandfathered OK for US waters , it does NOT meet any intl standard. OK for a US lake or bay.

Get a real light , 25W in each fitting is fine as power boats can handle the load underway.

FF

This would be a good time to go with LED navigation lights. LED fixtures, not just replacement bulbs.

This would be a good time to go with LED navigation lights. LED fixtures, not just replacement bulbs.

To receive certification the entire lamp, bulb included must meet certain specifications.

NO part can be changed , including the bulb, if staying legal is part of the plan.

LED has a very hard time creating the brightness of a 25W or better bulb. Since the engine is on when powering the saving of electric with an LED is not worth not being seen!

LED in an overnight anchor light is fine , IF it meets the requirements.

Our choice has been to use a light the next size range, over 65 ft has better light requirements than under 65ft..

On a sail boat with no choice but batteries underway, LED is probably better than kerosene or dark ship.

In busy harbors , with a local fish fleet many cruisers will purchase a bunch of lawn lamps that charge during the day , and light the boat profile at night.

Installing a better (more costly) battery can make the lamps work longer.

FF

Last edited:
Same certification a 12-50 meter vessels under Navrules

Made by Hella

2NM NaviLED Port and Starboard Pair

Series: NaviLED Compact
View My Favourites
Compact LED navigation lamps. Attractive, power saving and ultra reliable. Designed and manufactured in New Zealand, NaviLED® lamps save power onboard and provide outstanding durability.

Ultra low current draw
NaviLED® lamps use less than 10% of the power required to run a bulb navigation lamp of the same visible distance. Port and Starboard lamps consume less than 2 watts combined !
No bulbs, No maintenance. Ultra long service life
Hella marine LED technology has no filaments to break making NaviLED® lamps extremely shock and vibration proof for reliability and safety in demanding conditions.
MultivoltTM 8-28V DC
Advanced electronics ensure reliable illumination and lamp protection even under severe voltage fluctuations and low battery voltages.
Safe and highly visible
Hella marine optics deliver 100% correct light output and enhanced visibility compared to bulb navigation lamps.

5NM might show up further in fog.

5NM might show up further in fog.

I can't say whether the LED lights are as bright as the incandescent...but they meet the same certifications per Navrules. 2NM for sidelights and 3NM for masthead...right off the Hella nav light page....so the sidelights are the same, the mast head a little less unless you specifically but one that's certified for the 5 miles...haven't ever seen that on a navlight package for the series up to 65feet.

b) In vessels of 12 meters or more in length but less than 50 meters in length;
(i) a masthead light, 5 miles; except that where the length of the vessel is less than 20 meters, 3 miles;
(ii) a sidelight, 2 miles;
(iii) a sternlight, 2 miles;
(iv) a towing light, 2 miles;
(v) a white, red, green or yellow all-round light, 2 miles.
(vi) a special flashing light, 2 miles.

Many (probably all) marine LED navigation lights are certified or at least meet performance standards. Look on the box if in doubt.

There was a time when boaters hung a kerosene lantern from the mast as an anchor light. It wasn't "certified" but it met the performance standards.

I don't see the point of LED for running lights. You'll be running your engine the whole time you need them. Now, for the anchor light, That will be another discussion.

I don't see the point of LED for running lights. You'll be running your engine the whole time you need them. Now, for the anchor light, That will be another discussion.

Properly designed LED lamps or fixtures, the ones with a driver circuit, can be expected to last more than 10K hours. That means when you flip the switch it's pretty certain that they will work and you won't be hunting for a replacement bulb and installing it in the dark in heavy seas.

Since the color is from the actual LEDs, not the lense, there will be no fading or color change like the OP is dealing with.

If the present (USA) administration has its way, we won't be able to buy incandescent bulbs pretty soon anyway. You will have no choice. :banghead:

Since the color is from the actual LEDs, not the lense, there will be no fading or color change like the OP is dealing with.

Probably this is of the most importance to the sailors.

Today about 90% of the light is lost going thru red or green lenses on a tri color lamp.

With colored LED the tri color will be a far better concept for battery only boats.

FF

Same certification a 12-50 meter vessels under Navrules

Made by Hella

Series: NaviLED Compact
View My Favourites
Compact LED navigation lamps. Attractive, power saving and ultra reliable. Designed and manufactured in New Zealand, NaviLED® lamps save power onboard and provide outstanding durability.

Ultra low current draw
NaviLED® lamps use less than 10% of the power required to run a bulb navigation lamp of the same visible distance. Port and Starboard lamps consume less than 2 watts combined !
No bulbs, No maintenance. Ultra long service life
Hella marine LED technology has no filaments to break making NaviLED® lamps extremely shock and vibration proof for reliability and safety in demanding conditions.
MultivoltTM 8-28V DC
Advanced electronics ensure reliable illumination and lamp protection even under severe voltage fluctuations and low battery voltages.
Safe and highly visible
Hella marine optics deliver 100% correct light output and enhanced visibility compared to bulb navigation lamps.

You can find all the http://www.ledlightstore.co.nzHELLA MARINE LED Light range on our New-Zeland online shop.
We do ship world wild. Contact us for more information.

I ordered two sets... you're right, at that price... why not? :blush:

Ross,
Great that you found replacement lenses. Not long after I pur my boat, it was 4 yrs old, I noted that the red nor green were as red nor green as they should be. I put some of that "celophane" colored wrapping material inside the fix, green in the green and red in the red, when I sold the boat some 25 yrs later it was still there, I think that I may have renewed the celophane one time.
Oh, I did paint the red bulb with nail polish once, that works as well.
CCC

My Viking came with nav lights identical to ARoss' and had the same problem. It seemed that anything that could be done to lessen their effectiveness - take a tiny light, obscure most of the lens area with a cover, and finish it by mounting them 3' or so above the boot stripe - was done. The steaming light was a cheap one (more suitable for a runabout), mounted on the flybridge console where anyone on the bridge over 4.5' feet tall could obscure the light. Changed them out with Hella 25 watt (like FF said, it's a power boat, so I didn't want to pay the freight for LED) and mounted them on the flybrige skirt, gaining about 7-8' elevation. The Hella steaming light went on the mast I fabricated for the radar, etc., also gaining 8-9' elevation. For the anchor light, I did go LED for power conservation.

It seems to me that safe operation at night (at least where I operate) is very much a "see and be seen" contest between me and everyone else out there. So, neglecting refraction, I maybe got an additional 3.4 or so miles of "visibility" to other traffic by moving the light position. I don't really know if that relates to a real improvement, but I take nautical safety as, in part, an accumulation of incremental factors.

Rule 20 -(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.

I find vessels hard to spot at night with only running lights showing. Do any of you show other lights to make yourself more visible?

Here the Coot is pictured with running, mast spreader, pilothouse valance, and saloon celing lights on. Haven't operated at night yet, but to mimize possible night blindness and window reflections, my initial plan is to operate with running and saloon lights with curtains closed. The mast spreader lights would make the boat even more visible if they don't materially affect night vision.

img_86424_0_de3a09fa0fcc55d2bc670a1e650f86e4.jpg

Last edited:
if your running lights are upgraded to the next size...the 5 mile variety masthead...there's no problem seeing you..

most of the smaller rec boat lights are pathetic...

and anyone who paints the lens isn't doing themselves any favor.

Agree - but there are a few traffic choke points around here that, if I'm transiting after dark, I go through looking like a Carnival cruise ship.

Back
Top Bottom