Mystery 12v connectors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I've got two connectors in my galley and head. I don't know what they're supposed to power. One is under the cabinets in the galley. The other is inside of a cabinet in the day head. Pictures attached.

I'm assuming some sort of 12v appliances/devices were expected to be used, but what? And what kind of connector is it?

I've no pressing need to use anything 12v in those locations. If anything it'd be more useful to have a generic automotive style accessory socket. But I'm curious at to what would typically have been connected to them.

Attachments

• 20180731_175718.jpg
    20180731_175718.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 644
  • 20180731_175742.jpg
    20180731_175742.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 640
It's just a normal 12V plug if wired so and any 12 V appliance that didn't draw more than maybe 15-20A could have been plugged in.

Old-style plug. Once had a device which pulled more power than the average "cigarette lighter" style 12V outlet could provide. This type worked great.

Perko still sells them as trolling motor connectors

Where did you find a place to buy those connectors? Couldn’t find any online.

I'll have to check. I can't recall but I can try and dig through past purchases and see if I can find it.

West Marine.

Trailer marker lights use that connection

I would guess it would have been a fan.

Maybe consider swapping them to USB ports?

The only long term solution to have 12V dc plugs and sockets that will deliver 20A or so is to use home style 240V plugs and sockets.

These look just like 120V parts but one blade is 90 deg .

This keeps 120V plugs from fitting into the now 12v socket

By purchasing better than "contractor grade" , the hookups are very easy to make.

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.co...MI9tbFjdHQ3AIVhIuzCh0YEgjpEAQYAiABEgKv8vD_BwE

Last edited:
OK, I found it.

I got it from Fisheries Supply. I just needed the replacement plug so this is what I purchased. If you haven’t purchased from Fisheries, they are a good outfit.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/perko-watertight-deck-connections-replacement-connectors

That's the plug that will fit, you may be able to source it from Defender, it won't have to ride across the country to get to you. Give them a call, I didn't find it on the website, but they are happy to help.

Anything DC, like a spotlight, fans, or boat vacuum. They used to be pretty standard as 12 VDC plugs 30 years ago. The downside of these is you can easily make contact with reversed polarity. It won't plug in completely but the contact can be made. That brief touch can be fatal to electronics.

Last edited:
The only long term solution to have 12V dc plugs and sockets that will deliver 20A or so is to use home style 240V plugs and sockets.

These look just like 120V parts but one blade is 90 deg .

This keeps 120V plugs from fitting into the now 12v socket...

Actually, that one in the link is NOT rated for DC. It's rated for 250VAC. There is a huge difference in the way DC and AC behave when the connection is being made or broken. I'd be wary of using it for something it was not designed to do.

There's also the fact that using a 250VAC outlet for 12VDC is non-standard, and very likely to be mistaken by anyone else but the one who installed it. I imagine a surveyor or insurance company might have an opinion, too.

The manufacturer's specs are here.

I used 125/250 plugs for years.

Got the idea from the Marine electronics place I worked for as that's how they had their shop test bench set up.

They work great but as been mentioned, sqeamish surveyors and insurance companies might object.

So I am slowly switching over to these....

Attachments

• bulletsae-connector-to-powerpole-connector-1-ft-long_580.jpg
    bulletsae-connector-to-powerpole-connector-1-ft-long_580.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
The square connectors in the top middle of Scott’s picture are what we used on batteries when we raced radio controlled cars!

Most just come with wire between the plugs like cheap fuse holders and you cut at the desired point

This was the first pic I came to.

That is a Perko brand plug outlet (or knockoff copy). My Grand Banks 42 has 4 or 5 of them scattered around the boat. Perko # 1189 is the chrome plated brass version (#1190 is the chrome plated zinc version). West Marine lists the male plugs for 18 bucks (that's the list price, not sure what the price match price might be)

Back
Top Bottom