Mic cord decay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixie Life

Vessel Name
Aku Uka
Vessel Make
43’ DeFever
The cord on my flybridge handheld is split and falling off the internal wires. Is there any fix for this short of buying another handset? It's a Garmin GHS10. I don't think I can just replace the cord but I'm not sure.

Thanks

We had an Icom that did the same thing. It is uv dry rot. Icom had a real problem with this several years back and they extended the warranty on the mics. Contact Garmin and see if they will take care of it under warranty. Otherwise, you need to re[lace the mic set.

Cheers, Gary

Last edited:
Icom's not the only ones, I had a Raymarine second station cable that disintegrated and that was in the cabin BELOW, with no sun exposure at all. Just fell apart.

You either do the dance of sending it back for replacement, after begging/pleading/jumping through hoops, or give up and just order one via eBay. That's what I did for the HM-127 that failed on my flybridge (an HM-157 works fine as a replacement).

Icom's not the only ones, I had a Raymarine second station cable that disintegrated and that was in the cabin BELOW, with no sun exposure at all. Just fell apart.

You either do the dance of sending it back for replacement, after begging/pleading/jumping through hoops, or give up and just order one via eBay. That's what I did for the HM-127 that failed on my flybridge (an HM-157 works fine as a replacement).
Correct Raymarine and ICOM had issues. Big difference in how they were handled. ICOM stood behind their product replaced regardless of warranty status... Raymarine hid behind the warranty period declined to even provide replacements and then stopped selling replacement cords.

Standard Horizon had the issue as well. I have a Ram Mic at the lower helm inside with very little UV exposure and it is still disintegrating.

I have a Ray Marine unit that had the same issue. I was able to replace the cord for $25 from Ray Marine. I had to reconnect the wires in the mic itself which took less than 5 minutes.

Jim

I have a Ray Marine unit that had the same issue. I was able to replace the cord for $25 from Ray Marine. I had to reconnect the wires in the mic itself which took less than 5 minutes.

Jim

Jim, I was under the impression that Raymarine stopped selling replacement cords. How long ago did you buy the cord and, do you have the part number?

Thanks.

Standard Horizon had the issue as well. I have a Ram Mic at the lower helm inside with very little UV exposure and it is still disintegrating.

Ditto on my indoor Standard Horizon RAM. They don’t make or sell cords and a new RAM will not work with my 2002 radio.:banghead:

Correct Raymarine and ICOM had issues. Big difference in how they were handled. ICOM stood behind their product replaced regardless of warranty status... Raymarine hid behind the warranty period declined to even provide replacements and then stopped selling replacement cords.

Don,

Agreed. I've had a number of Icom handhelds that I beat the crap out of windsurfing, kayaking, etc. and their service repairing these was second to none.

My old Ray Marine unit's cord has fallen apart to the point the wires are just hanging there. In the process of replacing the unit. Ray couldn't offer me a new handset at any price.

Jim, I was under the impression that Raymarine stopped selling replacement cords. How long ago did you buy the cord and, do you have the part number?

Thanks.

Gary, I don't have the receipt, but I recall going to a West Marine (in the fall of 2017) with the unit specs and they were able to locate the part. I ordered it through WM and it was delivered to my home. I hope this helps,

Jim

Thanks.
The part # for my Ray 215 cord is listed on my Bacchus website Projects Curly Cord Replacement.
Mine had plug both ends and replacement was EZ after opening mic. Pics on the link.
I was under the impression that cords no longer available.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom