Old 07-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #21
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island WA
Vessel Name: Ironside
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Doesn’t the unit allow controlling the inverter? My two do. That being the case, to avoid impacting the inverter, $200 may be a bargain.
Yes. I have bought a new inverter and battery monitor. Both are new from Magnum. That is why I am puzzled.

LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #22
Guru

City: Out Cruisin'
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKa View Post
No luck so far. I received my first order and a pin strip. I did the soldering myself.
I installed the display and it lids up, but no characters show.
It could be my soldering is too bulky and not all pins seated properly. Or, the pin layout is very different. I cannot tell. The pins are not marked on the original. It could proprietary. I doubt Magnum will give it out to me.
I will redo the soldering and see if that helps.
I also have two more boards shipped. If they don't work, I need to try to contact Magnum again and see, if they sell this display alone?
Sorry to hear. That's what I was talking about with the different controller chips on the PC boards. It is probably a different controller that doesn't speak the same language as the one Magnum used. Hopefully one of the others will work.

I wouldn't hesitate to press Magnum for info or a complete display assembly. Sometimes it just a matter of being the squeaky wheel and getting to the right person.

Fingers crossed.......

boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #23
Guru

Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to press Magnum for info or a complete display assembly. Sometimes it just a matter of being the squeaky wheel and getting to the right person.
Fingers crossed.......
You can release your fingers. Magnum cannot help me. They would sell the complete unit for me, but they do not offer display only replacement. Not only that, they will not give any part number, nor help, to locate a display specific to their Remote Control.
When I brought up that a display like that can be purchased for few bucks online and a new unit is between 150-250 dollars, he was not interested in helping me. Maybe he had a bad day, but he was not happy with my reasoning.
All this 1 minute conversation happened after 62 minutes waiting on the phone for my queue.
Very disappointed!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Yes. I have bought a new inverter and battery monitor. Both are new from Magnum. That is why I am puzzled.
Warranty still in effect? If so the dealer that sold it to you should arrange for replacement.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Warranty still in effect? If so the dealer that sold it to you should arrange for replacement.
No.
The Remote Control/ME-RC from Magnum is years old.
This is why I wanted to fix it myself. It is a shame that using a $10 display, the unit could be just as good as new. It is working fine, only the display is fading.
I will keep searching for the display. Maybe I will get lucky one day.

The inverter/charger and battery monitor are new. They are fine.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #26
Guru

ME-RC50 Magnum display problem

Quote:

Fingers crossed.......

Good news!

The latest LCD I received works. Not perfect, but good enough for me.

Here is the one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-x-2-LCD-...72.m2749.l2649

There is a slight problem with it. The LCD and the main board has plastic spacers in between. The LCD has 4 holes at the corners, where these plastic columns go into. It is a bit loose. The holes are too large. However, the main board holds it enough, so you can put the housing back on, which presses down the LCD. So, it is in place and working.

The display is blue. The characters are visible but the background is not perfect.

Either way I am satisfied.

It is possible that the other boards were fine, too, except my soldering skills are not good enough. This LCD came with the pin strip already on it and the soldering looks perfect. The pins are very close to each other, so it is tricky to work with it.

See photo.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0965.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	91532Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0966.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	91534
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0966.jpg  
Old 07-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Good news!

The latest LCD I received works. Not perfect, but good enough for me.

Here is the one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-x-2-LCD-...72.m2749.l2649

There is a slight problem with it. The LCD and the main board has plastic spacers in between. The LCD has 4 holes at the corners, where these plastic columns go into. It is a bit loose. The holes are too large. However, the main board holds it enough, so you can put the housing back on, which presses down the LCD. So, it is in place and working.

The display is blue. The characters are visible but the background is not perfect.

Either way I am satisfied.

It is possible that the other boards were fine, too, except my soldering skills are not good enough. This LCD came with the pin strip already on it and the soldering looks perfect. The pins are very close to each other, so it is tricky to work with it.

See photo.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Well done! -
A bit of perseverance paid off.

The readability looks like just a contrast setting to me - I think there is actually a menu item in the Magnum settings that you can adjust it with. Try that.

If you already have messed with the menu settings for contrast, then there's likely some resistor somewhere that sets the limits of it - probably a lot of work.

I will probably buy myself one of those to keep around as a spare for mine.

Again, well done!

UPDATE: Looks like you bought the last one from that seller! Searched on "OSEPP 16 x 2" and found another seller with three of them.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:15 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
The readability looks like just a contrast setting to me - I think there is actually a menu item in the Magnum settings that you can adjust it with. Try that. .
You are correct again. It was the contrast. 100%. I took it down to 20% and now it is normal. Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #29
Guru

Good to hear!
Old 07-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
I will probably buy myself one of those to keep around as a spare for mine.
UPDATE: Looks like you bought the last one from that seller! Searched on "OSEPP 16 x 2" and found another seller with three of them.
The ebay person had several, but others might have ordered, as well, after my post. Here is a better source. They have few more left.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/375-LCD-01

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #31

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Talking Thanks!

I had the same issue with a line of data missing. Thanks to the forum, $10 and 10 minutes later, I was back in business!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
A8E1B95E-9DD3-45A8-8076-B8A68E2D33E9.jpg   6D798D88-5345-43B6-9221-D4784B4BBAE2.jpg   7DC5BD50-174C-442D-8BF0-02849ADD0DA5.jpg  

westmarine is offline   Reply With Quote