Marine trumpet horn replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not really, read Annex III more carefully and thoroughly. It defines fundamental frequency of 250-525hz, and the minimum sound levels of that and various harmonic frequencies in 1/3 octave bands,

Well, always willing to change my position based on evidence... furthermore, I think 1200 hz is higher than any horn I’ve heard...

...but at least in the Canadian Colregs, a search of the document does not return 525 hz anywhere in the document, I get the following:

“A whistle fitted in a vessel shall provide, in the direction of maximum intensity of the whistle and at a distance of 1 metre from it, a sound pressure level in at least one 1/3rd octave band within the range of frequencies 180-700 Hz (± 1%) for a vessel 20 metres or more in length, or 180-2100 Hz (± 1%) for a vessel less than 20 metres in length, of not less than the appropriate figure given in the table below.”

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/C.R.C.,_c._1416.pdf

My vessel is less than 20 metres. Perhaps I’m missing something. These refs were up to date as of December 3, 2019.

Jim

'Lo all, When outfitting my old sailboat, I was stationed in Langley AFB, VA. Cherubini was located not far away, so asked them what they used for several items including the air horns. They said dual FIAMM airhorns and a compressor. When I tried it the first time it sounded like a train whistle about 2 miles away. It was because the airhorn was mounted just under the spreaders and I used 3/8" wire braid hose. It took a relatively long time to build up pressure and then for it to bleed off. So...I mounted another compressor and the problem was solved. It was almost loud enough to wake the dead.

Before you spend a lot on a replacement, consider that the coil of the horn is sealed. The only thing that can corrode is the make/break contact, which is easily cleaned. Remove the circular label off the back of the horn and unscrew the cover cap. Run 600 grit paper through the point switch to clean. Flush & clean everything with alcohol. Reassemble. Tune the horn to resonate/beep by tightening the back screw while holding the horn 'on'. I do this procedure every year or two because no sound emits when I push the button each spring. It re-tunes fine. Now I have a small canvas bag over the backs of the horns so rain can no longer get in there.

Replaced mine with a Marinco from WM. Five year warranty.

Before you spend a lot on a replacement, consider that the coil of the horn is sealed. The only thing that can corrode is the make/break contact, which is easily cleaned. Remove the circular label off the back of the horn and unscrew the cover cap. Run 600 grit paper through the point switch to clean. Flush & clean everything with alcohol. Reassemble. Tune the horn to resonate/beep by tightening the back screw while holding the horn 'on'. I do this procedure every year or two because no sound emits when I push the button each spring. It re-tunes fine. Now I have a small canvas bag over the backs of the horns so rain can no longer get in there.

Thanks Rick. I intend to give that trick a go. I believe I tried to disassemble the horn once but was unable to take it apart. The weather isn’t conducive right now to bugger around up there.

Jim

I had the FIAMM, actually this model:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|135|2290125|2290127&id=3042740

Great loud and fairly deep sound - two complementary frequencies. It uses a relay that the button activates. This connects the circuit with power to the little compressor. I did that circuit with #10 wire on one leg and #12 on the other (that's what I had available at the time). I think at least #12 would be needed.

Mine looks like that, installed with a downward tilt in 1991. Still working though I recently replaced the compressor.

I took a plastic lid from a yogurt after several different yogurts I found one with a tight snap on fit in white. I erased the writing-manufacturers crap with alcohol. It snaps on tight, no moisture or spray and very limited effect on loudness.

I would get a Kahlenberg horn hands down.

That was my choice, Have a dual horn loud enough (twice the minimum range, four times as loud) to be more effective.

Current horn destroyed from salt water leaking into horn. Any suggestions on a durable horn or how to protect horn interior from water blowing into interior.
Thanks.

If your vessel is >12m, you should have an approved horn that meets the Col Regs minima and you should have its approval certificate on board.

https://kahlenberg.co.uk/imo-requirements/

Not sure if in the US horns have to be approved by the USCG....never have seen the requirement or certificates and small vessel can use darn near anything that makes noise.

Horn # 2 stopped working , was duel stainless
21 ft bay fishing boat, had emergency hand held air horn plus
the electric .
Found a small internal horn replacement meant for a motor cycle ,
Fit perfect into the cavity were the original horn guts was,
I sound like a Kawasaki , $ 12 bucks
Don't know if that horn was legal , high pitched loud sound ,
I have been Coast Guard inspected a number of times .
Not once was it mentioned , as long as it worked
Years later , horn still works , Boat does not , stripped going too junk yard soon.
Debating weather too save horn from the crusher

Not sure if in the US horns have to be approved by the USCG....never have seen the requirement or certificates and small vessel can use darn near anything that makes noise.

Hi. As far as I am aware, the International Coil Regs apply internationally. Local inland waterways may have different regs, and of course, the USA may have opted not to be part of the International Col Regs.

Why not call Kahlenberg (US) and ask? https://www.kahlenberg.com/

Yes, the colregs are international. The inland rules are peculiar to the US. The colregs were created by treaty in 1972, the US ratified the treaty. Compliance with the colregs by US flagged vessels on international waters is required by federal laws. In 1980 US Inland Navigation Rules were created to bring the hodgpodge of US inland rules come closer to the colregs. Compliance with the inland rules is also required by federal law.

The above is a synopsis of the Introduction and Legal Citations in the US publication of the colregs.

Fog Horn

We have the Kahelnberg Zero Series dual marine air horn in brass, and it has been rock solid for over five years. It is installed with a slight downward angle. It is very load, with an automatic feature (goes off every two minutes) which is very helpful. Defender carries them:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=4437651

Hi. As far as I am aware, the International Coil Regs apply internationally. Local inland waterways may have different regs, and of course, the USA may have opted not to be part of the International Col Regs.

Why not call Kahlenberg (US) and ask? https://www.kahlenberg.com/

As far as we Pleasure Boaters are concerned the differences between the International COLREGs and the INLAND WATER Regs are virtually nil.
Where there are differences is in the lights and shapes for tugs and tows.

For US inland waters....there are a few more differences such as passing signals in narrow channels, 1/2 mile rule for sound signals (inland), downbound rules on western rivers, the concept of whistle signals whether you are turning or just intending to leave another vessel to port/starboard, dive flags (really a state reg usually), strobe distress light (inland)....etc...etc...

not earth shattering...but a few differences sprinkled here and there....

Last edited:

I have a similar horn as the OP, but it does not produce sound. After a month of searching for a solenoid, I’ve found one, which worked. Unfortunately, the membrane barely moved, so there was nothing coming out. Is it worth cleaning it up and fix it? Or, is it a lost cause? See photo.

IMG_0846.jpg

Smaller horns , and air chimes frequently need a good deal of pressure.

Install a Schrader valve at the inlet and go to a truck stop and try their air supply.

Yes its worth fixing.

Air Horns

I would like to replace my wimpy horn with one that sounds like a Great Lake freighter. Any suggestions?

I'm very satisfied with Kahlenberg's D-2 model. It is loud and has beautiful, complimentary tones.

Back
Top Bottom