Marine Radio options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the Raymarine RAY260, which can have up to three microphone/speaker stations connected to it. It is also N2000. That way the lower helm can hear what is happening on the upper helm (radio traffic). It also can act as an intercom between the stations.

And of course I have a handheld as backup.

I think this is one of those questions that depends heavily on where and how you use your boat. On our area of the Missouri River, no one ever uses a VHF radio. I could have my radio on for days at a time and would never hear anything on any channel except weather. But someday we'll truck the boat to Duluth and motor off to the world, so we're equipping and maintaining the boat for the Loop or some variation hence multiple radios.

I think this is one of those questions that depends heavily on where and how you use your boat.

You are absolutely correct.

Because I'm new to boating, this question was posed to help not only inform me of what is commonly done, but the reasons for the setups that folks have chosen. When you are new, you don't know what you don't know, and I am learning a lot in this thread about the benefits/consequences of various setups.

I have two ICOM radios, with separate antennas, plus one handheld.
After years of frustrating radio/antenna problems, I finally took my main radio to shop on Martinique.
They said radio had internal failure and needed to go back to ICOM to even see if fixable.
OK
I took my fly bridge radio and installed it in pilot house.

So I need to replace a radio.

Is there any reason not to go to something like Uniden 415?

Yes, it's cheap. But my experience with the expensive ICOM has not been good.

Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-UM415...217554&sr=8-2&keywords=vhf+marine+radios&th=1

Have one helm and one VHF which monitors several channels (personally selected) continuously. For me the most useful is 14 which reports commercial traffic in the greater San Francisco Estuary. Definitely need to tailor your radio(s) for one's particular circumstances.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have two ICOM radios, with separate antennas, plus one handheld.
After years of frustrating radio/antenna problems, I finally took my main radio to shop on Martinique.
They said radio had internal failure and needed to go back to ICOM to even see if fixable.
OK
I took my fly bridge radio and installed it in pilot house.

So I need to replace a radio.

Is there any reason not to go to something like Uniden 415?

Yes, it's cheap. But my experience with the expensive ICOM has not been good.

Thoughts?

I've found it useful for all our fixed radios to be the same brand/model/etc... so I only have to learn (and sometimes teach) a single set of operating instructions.

FWIW, one of our ICOM 604s went slightly wonky a while ago, but then just a few days ago I learned we had (another) lightning strike in the marina sometime back. Haven't worked out timing to see whether that might be related...

-Chris

Don't radios have a dual watch feature over there

We have the one radio, only ever gets used to log on and off with CG for bar crossing or open water passage.
To much inane traffic the rest of the time.

Both radios have dual. Lousy system. ANY noise on 16 will override the other channel.
Sound better on paper than practice.
If you don't,t monitor 16 then doesn't,t matter but if you do then the secondary channel is almost useless too often.
I use one radio to monitor 16, the other radio vessel traffic system or for travelling friends so not hailing and interfering with 16.

I agree about inane traffic but ignore it I will not do as it also is the emergency channel and have been involved a couple times. If I ignored 16 I wold not be doing part of my boat operation jobs.

Both radios have dual. Lousy system. ANY noise on 16 will override the other channel.
Sound better on paper than practice.
If you don't,t monitor 16 then doesn't,t matter but if you do then the secondary channel is almost useless too often.
I use one radio to monitor 16, the other radio vessel traffic system or for travelling friends so not hailing and interfering with 16.

I agree about inane traffic but ignore it I will not do as it also is the emergency channel and have been involved a couple times. If I ignored 16 I wold not be doing part of my boat operation jobs.

I also feel an obligation to monitor 16 for karma purposes.

If you have a VHF radio and are underway, if you can monitor Ch 16 please do it.

In many areas and much of the time, either a good samaritan or assistance tower gets to a distress situation before the USCG or first responder agency.

Like most boat systems, having backups is smart and they dont have to be fancy or top of the line. The average intracoastal cruiser could do fine witb one hard mounted VHF and one handheld. You can rig additional larger antennas with an adapter to fit your handheld if you like.

A handheld for a cruiser is indespensible on terms of dingy use, ship to shore, back up, etc.... so why not use it as a second station. Having it as a third is just gravy.

Back
Top Bottom