Marine Computer for Navigation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been using standard home computers on board since personal computers came about. And go back to main frame computers on a missile ship in the 60s. I have never even heard of any computer failing because of the marine environment.
If you have a battery backup (UPS) almost any inverter will charge the UPS. Most UPS units are powered by a 12 volt battery, so with a little care, some wiring, and a charge controller, you can charge them off your 12 volt DC or solar cells.
I have 4 computers on board. 2 Macs (old tower and PowerBook) and 2 PCs (old one on Linux now, and just bought tower). Two are near 15 years old.
If you don't like windows 10 and buy a new fast (i7 Kaby Lake) pc, windows 7 runs fine. Microsoft is currently running a misinformation campaign, trying to get everyone to run windows 10. After installing, and windows update, you get an "uncompatable hardware" box that appears on startup and will reappear every couple hours. The solution to remove is on the web, but I just went thru it, if anyone wants to know.

I have always been a fan of this one, with integrated helm:

WPat8Tolcku0Qb6CsNbsB7IlG6Cn2cXgQjPueEzdJ7EGL0IDqVC_67uzSbKtk47eeapGlyIK9nylBa1BZxvqIOWQc-PCVQVz5DHW595DVa4N-GnwZ1pJULsqth1QbiSwmThqDZrFMgEJZkCqVPptc2gHItuAAIk-y-ZvhMgunUnNOX_Xm9lEybwnVuQeQm5UddQ5IzHFLzDGxoCtKqJRDuMGMmLdcsXbqu4Qk5cw3RpIBuDRlDegXeAIl9mwTq3cX7TFmh74IArKdFozR4S3PJu8FKf2eM6V6lopbx0YYemtRr-FxlipWOmrsfy-Lx01_G5v5YDlaIDM2BVDjnZ1kOKLnY553srh-6bh4Gnj9on3ou34ts1A2c-P_c2oPLqE5iqPvAnejpvT8ltzq7oAmw-3c9R7kZzKtLUKcbd2kH5QaaBWT0KU8G2RtO4NCCr4ZT4hEnAodzcDlFAHLg4m5VAcwMDVAuGq7PZp-pcATRRE-2l7W_GxqHlUKnl48ET-5l4tJpbpBNgh1UTC7qTMRCwIecnZiEL2n9abmeFuox9twb4mnI386WQU9X9Si_zsMWP7sAacvo47qjr1GS5MlCpeclYu7TXHgZVpPvc=w744-h558-no

if you want something fanless, the Qotom Q355G Intel I5 series are pretty impressive. I've had one running as a home router for a while now and it's been quite reliable. Takes 12vdc to run it, no inverter necessary. Though you might want to use a DC/DC converter if you don't have clean 12vdc for it. You can get it in a variety of RAM/storage combinations depending on need.

I got the NUC yesterday and aside from the Windows 10 update that took forever, it is up and running with the new Coastal Explorer version and all charts. I also hooked up the Nemo gateway and it is recognized on CE and the firmware is up to date. I will bring it to the boat in the next few days to locate everything and connect the various devices to the Nemo gateway. It’s a process.

The NUC is seriously small, only 4” square and 1.5” high. This NUC has a 256 GB solid state drive and 8 GB of RAM. It is supplied with a mounting plate for attachment to a monitor or TV. I will probably mount it on a bulkhead or other vertical surface, with clear instructions for removal.

The NUC is seriously small, only 4” square and 1.5” high. This NUC has a 256 GB solid state drive and 8 GB of RAM. It is supplied with a mounting plate for attachment to a monitor or TV. I will probably mount it on a bulkhead or other vertical surface, with clear instructions for removal.
I've got a NUC in use at the house for babysitting the printers, ripping movie DVDs to the network server (QNAP NAS) and some home automation programs. They're indeed small and mine has proven quite reliable. Once configured they're pretty much set-and-forget.

The only downside to them is Intel is notoriously uneven in their support for various drivers. Especially if you plan on maxing out the video chipset in them. If you're just going to use it for garden-variety desktop stuff then it'll be fine. But if you expect to get into 3D games or BluRay video playback.. it gets iffy. And by the time they almost have it licked.. they come out with the next generation of the box and pretty much stop development of the existing ones. So factor that accordingly.

....And by the time they almost have it licked.. they come out with the next generation of the box and pretty much stop development of the existing ones. So factor that accordingly.

Chuckle! I thought my existing computer with Windows XP was getting long-in-the-tooth. A commercial fishing pal of mine has a Windows 95 machine running an old Nobeltec software. And no. He hasn’t updated the charts in Donkeys’s years.

Quick question for everybody. Has anybody found an affordable monitor that is viewable in daylight ?? I'm talking flybridge or cockpit, not inside a pilothouse.

Really the choices are unlimited for a shipboard computer. I don't think most Nav. programs need a lot of oomph to run. Probably the Windows operating system is the biggest hog.

I have a 10" Unbranded (Best Buy) tablet, built in GPS, touch screen, Win 10 and running OpenCPN for a backup. Just can't view it in sunshine. Use it for a vehicle GPS with MS maps on the way to the boat. Cigarette plug to mini usb to charge it.

Another inexpensive computer is a Raspberry Pi. ~ 40$ + accessories. Runs off 5 v. Easy to do. Built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Runs Linux and OpenCPN. GPS puck plugs into a usb port. Get a wireless mouse and keyboard either usb or Bluetooth.

Pick your poison...

An affordable marine monitor is an oxymoron.

I am salivating for the new Intel Hades Canyon NUC (8th generation CPU) that allegedly was released in January but can't seem to find it anywhere.

An affordable marine monitor is an oxymoron.

As is anything marine that's affordable !! :rofl:

At some price point it makes sense to just use everyday hardware, and replace it, in the 'harsh' marine environment.. Esp. if you want features not available in a chart plotter like a web browser or email.

Any of the suggestions for computer hardware probably hasn't been properly built for marine and saltwater use. Moisture laden salt air can wreck havoc on electronics as everyone knows. Should have some level of water resistance coating at a minimum... Still at that price it's no big deal.

For a serious primary navigation system go with a major manufacture. For backup, use whatever floats your boat.

NUC is up and running with all devices connected via the Nemo Gateway. The biggest issue during the install was dealing with the Windows Defender firewall settings. A LOT OF TIME WAS WASTED DEALING WITH THAT ISSUE!!! Even though I had enabled the Coastal Explorer to be allowed through the firewall, I ended up completely disabling the firewall at this time. The computer is not connected to the internet will on the vessel and updates must be done at home.

I found the Nemo Gateway easy to wire. Not all wires and cables are secured at this time. And I still have to decommission the legacy wiring from the old setup. The NUC sits below the Nemo.

IMG_2495.jpg

I have wired the AP to the both the listening and talking ports since the photo below was taken. The trick with all NMEA 0183 connections is to understand the wire colours in the cables. Installers should ensure they have that worked out before proceeding.

IMG_2497.jpg

Many thanks to Twisted Tree for his support throughout the project. The support from Rosepoint was also excellent.

Jim

Linux Ubuntu and N2KView

Has anybody installed Maretron N2KView on a Linux computer?

I'm in the process of setting up a NUC computer, installed Ubuntu on it, but can't find any help on the internet for N2KView.

I have no personal experience with this software. And, I do see their FAQ that says it runs on Ubuntu, but that FAQ seems to be 7-8 years old and lists nothing newer than Windows 7.

Downloads only seem to be available for windows. I have a feeling they've dropped support for Linux. Maybe it could be run in a virtual machine. But, device drivers can sometimes by sticking points, etc.

I'd give them a call or drop them an email:
-- https://www.maretron.com/company/contact.php

-Greg

Has anybody installed Maretron N2KView on a Linux computer?

I'm in the process of setting up a NUC computer, installed Ubuntu on it, but can't find any help on the internet for N2KView.

I’m not sure but would the Nemo Gateway be of help here? Call the Rosepoint folks and see. Or perhaps Twisted Tree will chime in on this.

N2KView runs on Adobe Air, so if Adobe Air is available for Unbuntu, it might work. But I think the only two OSs that Maretron officially supports are Windows and OSx.

You can spend as much or as little as you want and probaby get similar results.

I have been riunning $400 Dell laptops for 7 years with no issues and my $300 dollar Samsung pad with internal gps as a backup.

All flawless with the occasional quick reboot.

No need for a dedicated chartplotter unless radar and sounder are an issue for you with networking....it was for me so I bought a 7 inch chartplotter with radar and sounder as comiment and backup.

N2KView runs on Adobe Air, so if Adobe Air is available for Unbuntu, it might work. But I think the only two OSs that Maretron officially supports are Windows and OSx.

I don’t want anyone mistaking this for criticism because twistedtree’s advice is among the most valued on TF. That said, I’m trying to imagine anyone in my parents’ generation recognizing this post as English. I must be in a philosophical mood . . . just marveling at how much language and our culture have changed in a few decades. :oldman:

I don’t want anyone mistaking this for criticism because twistedtree’s advice is among the most valued on TF. That said, I’m trying to imagine anyone in my parents’ generation recognizing this post as English. I must be in a philosophical mood . . . just marveling at how much language and our culture have changed in a few decades. :oldman:
I agree. I have to say that in retirement I look back at my colleagues' and my career in the computer industry and sometimes think "Oh my god, what have we done?"

Well, every industry has specific terminology. I'm sure once upon a time a larger amount of public knew what fetlocks and whithers are. Not so much now that horses aren't the common mode of transport. I'm sure there's a one-tech-replaces-another buggy whip point to be made, but it's early.

But yeah, I recently ran across a similar post on an entirely different site and wondered the exact same thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom