Which Marine batteries should I get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MV Justace

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
M V Justace
Vessel Make
Lyscrest 42 Aft Cabin
Good Morning from Gold Coast Aussie!
Diesel engines I have no problems with but suitable batteries & number I do!
(No one wants to load test 6 V batteries these days so can't confirm if all mine are sick)
Currently have 8 US 2200 6V 235AH house batteries linked to make 12V. 30Kg These have worked OK over past 6 years ( have replaced a couple with same in last two years) with solar charging and dock queen charging mainly last 3 years, but must be in need of replacement very soon.
Now, I can get new US2200 for $330 each plus cost to get them onboard and remove the old ones. Plus Cost $80 per hour two men.
I have been offered SSB EV & Golf Buggy 6V 226Ah wet $300 each or Fusion AGM EV6 225Ah $367 each with no transport costs.
Questions?
1. which would be the better system for our liveaboard Trawler given most lights are LED have small Waco 12V fridge/freezer on back deck plus utechtec fridge/freezer which runs off 240V. Two Electric toilets and fresh water pump probably a normal setup for this sort of boat. Genset is 12.6 KVA Onan when on anchor.
2. BIG Q? Could I get away with only 6 Batteries based on the above?
Have Enerdrive Elite battery monitor plus ProStar -30 Solar Charge Controller. 3x150W Prismatic Solar on flat roof of Flybridge brings in 16-22 Amps on sunny day. Charger is a Victron Centaur 12V 50A. Also Victron Pure Sinewave 12/800 Inverter for TV, Foxtel & Sat TV Dish when not on shore power.
Can't get anyone on land here to help me with this problem!
Rob & Ros

I have about the same usage and loads as you do with (4) 6v batteries which handle the loads very well. So you can probably go to 6 batteries no problem. One thing I would suggest though is to get an MPPT solar controller instead of the PWM controller you have now. Without any other changes, instead of the 16-22 amps you get now, you will see approximately 30 amps. It would be a major upgrade. I would suggest a Victron 100/50. Yes, I know they're a bit pricey but they are first class.

Ken

Full River brand batteries

If the OP looks on FB marketplace now there is a set of lightly used (so I was told) full rivers in his area for sale by Tara Jeffcoat

210ah 12v for $590 each

Upgrading to lifepo4

Last edited:
Thanks all for your reply's . Question Ken which MPPT solar controller do you suggest? Looked online and there are several and a big price range!
I'm also now being advised to look at Lithium as prices are comparable where I would only need say 4 as against 6-8 wet cell. AGM are too heavy.
Whats your thoughts.
Robin

For your setup with 450w of solar, I would suggest a Victron 100/50.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom