Marinco Pro Installer fuses / distribution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Aruna
Vessel Make
Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
I've been finishing up the plans for an upgraded battery bank, new inverter, alternators, distribution, fuses, and a ton of other things to bring my house bank up to the standards I want. One thing I used on my previous boat was the Marinco Pro Installer series of busses and switches. I didn't have enough space or a big enough system to warrant too many of the various pieces.

With Rendezvous, I have a much bigger system and with the upgrade, and have decided to use more of the bits and pieces from their product line.

I needed:
  • Main battery bank fuse
  • Always on power for Victron CCGX / BMV prior to any switch/fuse
  • 2x ANL fuses for new alternators
  • 1x ANL fuse for Webasto heater
  • Small loads off of in-line fuses or small panel (temp/fire/battery sensors)
  • Inverter fuse
  • Inverter isolation switch
  • Bus for dual inverter cables

Doing this traditionally would have required lots of wires, crimps, and space.

ProInstallerAnnotated.jpg

Above is my current iteration, which I believe is pretty close to final. One of the things I love about this system is that you can lay it out on the table and play around with it, just like big power legos. It's pretty fun, and I can admit that I may have spent more time than necessary fooling with things.

All of the various components are the same height, and use Link Bars to connect them together instead of individual wires. Those bars come in a bunch of different lengths and sizes, and can either link two products together, or the larger ones, like the 5 hole one above in the middle right, link a lot more. There are current limits depending on which one you choose, so it is important to read the specs for them.

IMG_2821.jpg

I've used the battery switch on at least 10 other installs, even without the rest of the system as it allows you to mount the meaty part of it to the wall, connect the conductors, and put the cover on, rather than struggling with connecting things to the back of a switch, spinning it around, etc.

Overall, I am very happy with how compact and secure this whole thing is. In particular, I like how few cables there are, and I am excited to get the rest of the project underway tomorrow.

Looks nice. It also seems like it would be a bit easier to modify down the road without making a mess.

My boat’s electrical system was really well laid out by the builder. The original owner had changes made after he owned it a while and the pros that he had do the work did a nice job, but they had to work within the limits of the space available. I have made further changes and now, if I’m honest, it is starting to look a bit kludged together. If I had the time and felt like spending a bunch of money, I would be tempted to rip it all off and start from scratch laying it as you have. I think you will be really happy with it, but keep in mind that in the future you may add things, or change things etc...

Looks like nice stuff. Two comments:

Put it together with "Corrosion X" or a similar product. Lots of connections for insulating corrosion to develop.

Would really rather see the battery fuse at the battery bank as it is supposed to also protect the cabling between the bank and the distribution panel. Will there be a battery disconnect switch elsewhere?

Ted

Looks nice. It also seems like it would be a bit easier to modify down the road without making a mess.

My boat’s electrical system was really well laid out by the builder. The original owner had changes made after he owned it a while and the pros that he had do the work did a nice job, but they had to work within the limits of the space available. I have made further changes and now, if I’m honest, it is starting to look a bit kludged together. If I had the time and felt like spending a bunch of money, I would be tempted to rip it all off and start from scratch laying it as you have. I think you will be really happy with it, but keep in mind that in the future you may add things, or change things etc...

My original system is laid out pretty well, but the house bank itself, related wiring including the inverter are a bit of a mess as they were added afterwards. Everything else is very well done, labeled, good sized, etc.

I do have the ability to add additional busses as well as swap out the smaller 3 post one in the middle with a 5 post or larger to expand. Good advise though.

Looks like nice stuff. Two comments:

Put it together with "Corrosion X" or a similar product. Lots of connections for insulating corrosion to develop.

Would really rather see the battery fuse at the battery bank as it is supposed to also protect the cabling between the bank and the distribution panel. Will there be a battery disconnect switch elsewhere?

Ted

Yes I will be covering all of it with corrosion protection. You're right in that there are a lot more parts to potentially corrode with this sort of setup. I always use something like that on all of these types of connections.

The fuse is about 12" away from the battery bank, and each battery in the bank has its own on battery pole fuse. There is a battery disconnect switch there as well, just no room for the master fuse.

The fuse is about 12" away from the battery bank, and each battery in the bank has its own on battery pole fuse. There is a battery disconnect switch there as well, just no room for the master fuse.

Sounds like you have it well planned out. You have my permission to proceed. ;):rolleyes:

Ted

Sounds like you have it well planned out. You have my permission to proceed. ;):rolleyes:

Ted

Whew, I was waiting with the wires in my hands on board, refreshing my browser over and over, waiting..... :thumb: :socool:

Looks very nice, solid and well thought out. Nice to see some practicle creative thinking.

Looks very nice, solid and well thought out. Nice to see some practicle creative thinking.

This is my favorite part of the entire system - that some engineer somewhere thought "hey you could make these all the same height and then just use these short bars to connect them" instead of the old traditional approach.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom