Old 01-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #21

City: southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSeadog View Post
If your Benmar unit is a course setter then there is a troubleshooting guide available that might help. A hard over condition sounds like it could be one of the IC's that are blown. They are very susceptible to failures from over voltage conditions. The ICs are on sockets so the hardest part is to get the unit out of the boat then 30 minutes to change out about $10 worth of ICs.

I had a course setter when we first bought the boat. Had a similar issue, which turned out to be the lamp in the compass unit had burned out.

Then had a similar issue that wasn’t the lamp, but I replaced instead of working through it. I went with a ComNav AP, which interfaced with the BenMar drive unit seamlessly.

If you or anyone else is interested, I still have all the BenMar parts sitting in a bin. Free to a good home, just cover shipping.
questionmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #22

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 (1998)
Questionmark,

I'd be interested in moving your course setter parts to my spare boat parts bin. PM me with the details.

Regards,

Ken
NWSeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:21 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"It was professionally installed and has worked for decades, but there maybe wear or other issues causing an over current condition."

Simplest system check is to operate the wheel while not moving.

If the wheel can easily be spun P&S the bearings, pulleys and cable should be fine .

If replacement cable is needed Bronze cable which is softer (tho pri$y) was available Edson , along with bronze cable blocks .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #24

City: Port Richey
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30, Caribiana 23
Coincidentally Defender's sale of the week is Raymmarine's EV 100 Wheel Autopilot Pack. https://www.defender.com/defender1st...rs+for+Boaters!
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #25

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
mr biloxi! 27 yrs ago, i bought a 40 ft skookum with a benmar A/P, fought it for to long, did a lot of research here in seattle, bought the next model up, it went all over the bay, got my money back and bought one made in england, , used the old steering system motor [hydrolic] with the new control box, and brain/compass, has worked for 26 yrs! i`m sure yours will work with the present system]...the 10001, 1000 from vancouver should be fine with your rudder control system! those vancouver made systems are used in commercial fishing boats all over...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote