Manual Equalization with Xantrex FSW3012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi, I have a L16 lifeline battery bank and wanted to give equalizing them a shot before I take off for the summer trip, unfortunately the xantrex 3012 only supports 1 hr equalization periods. I called them but tech support was pretty worthless. Would setting my bulk, absorb, equalization and float voltages to the recommended 15.5v do the same thing and get me closer to the 4-8 hours lifeline recommends?

I know it’s best to do them in smaller sets but just trying to get any capacity I can back before the trip, I’ve got two disconnected so have 1600ah capacity now.

Is this a bad idea or worth a shot?

Thanks much

Hi, I have a L16 lifeline battery bank and wanted to give equalizing them a shot before I take off for the summer trip, unfortunately the xantrex 3012 only supports 1 hr equalization periods. I called them but tech support was pretty worthless. Would setting my bulk, absorb, equalization and float voltages to the recommended 15.5v do the same thing and get me closer to the 4-8 hours lifeline recommends?

I know it’s best to do them in smaller sets but just trying to get any capacity I can back before the trip, I’ve got two disconnected so have 1600ah capacity now.

Is this a bad idea or worth a shot?

Thanks much

You could, or just set yourself a reminder and kick off 4 in a row, one right after another.

Unfortunately the xantrex forces you to go through a complete bulk, absorb cycle before each equalization hour which I wasn’t sure would reduce the effectiveness of the equalization process.

Are these relatively new batteries? If so, I wouldn’t worry about equalizing them particularly if you’ve been at the dock. You’re going cruising so you’ll be exercising them and that should be keep them healthy. Calder discussed exercising batteries in a write up, saying how that keeps the batteries healthy as long as you fully charge them on a regular basis.

We went through the “to equalize or not” quandary. After 20 years of experimenting, we elected not to and the life of last few sets of batteries wasn’t shortened as far as I could tell.

Back
Top Bottom