Old 05-14-2021, 12:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Seabrook, TX
Vessel Name: Air2Sea
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34 Trawler
Mainship house batteries

We’re new owners of 2006 #34_Trawler_single_diesel.
Our boat uses house batteries to start the main engine. Is this common on all 2006 Mainship single diesel 34 Trawlers?

macp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Congrats on your new boat. We will need some photos please. Yes that appears to be how Mainship did the batteries. Is it the best way, IMO no it isn’t. I want a start battery for each engine and a dedicated house bank. Will it work like yours is wired, yes until you run the batteries down overnight and then can’t start the engine.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:03 PM   #3
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Yes that is common and Commodave is correct that it is not the best way. So dont let your battery's get too low (speaking from experience). The way it is wired is a pain plus add in a 5th battery for the aft fridge and it makes a nice puzzle.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #4
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Personally I would not want to leave my boat wired that way, especially for the reasons that Dave mentioned. Also, "dual purpose" batteries (ones that are supposed to be good for both house (deep cycle) and starting) make poor house banks. It is best to have true deep cycle (like golf carts) batteries for your house bank.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Yes, that is how they were wired. While not "ideal" I never found it to be a problem.

I just left the battery switch on BOTH and made sure they got charged (via the engine or battery charger) every 1-2 days.

Your generator should have a separate, isolated start battery.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:45 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by macp View Post
We’re new owners of 2006 #34_Trawler_single_diesel.
Our boat uses house batteries to start the main engine. Is this common on all 2006 Mainship single diesel 34 Trawlers?
Yes very common. MS used house / start battys on many years / models. I didn't like it for several reasons and recently moved my single engine start to my dedicated thruster bank. If you have a thruster batty / bank on port side its relatively convenient to wire the starter to it and its about half the distance as the stbd side bank. My house bank is now strictly house. Gen has a separate start batty.
My Bacchus website has a good summary of previous project to eliminate diode isolators MS installed for alt & shore charger that I eliminated to improve charging.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #7
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
It's a very common set-up on many brands of (especially) powerboats. Mostly seems to work well enough, especially if the operator pays at least a nano-second's worth of attention to the batteries every so often.

-Chris
Old 05-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #8
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Dave, who runs their batteries down overnight? No one I have ever heard of. If it is done, it is done by a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Congrats on your new boat. We will need some photos please. Yes that appears to be how Mainship did the batteries. Is it the best way, IMO no it isn’t. I want a start battery for each engine and a dedicated house bank. Will it work like yours is wired, yes until you run the batteries down overnight and then can’t start the engine.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:17 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Actually I never have since I always keep a separate starting battery. But I have towed in dozens who did run the batteries down and could not get started. And most could not even call on the VHF since it was powered by the same batteries. They had to wait and wave someone down who could call for help.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #10

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
It depends. Many prefer the separation of house & start batteries. On the other hand if you go over to the sister “cruisersForum” , u may find that most cruisers opt for 1 large bank of high AHr batteries serving both functions. If u have a generator with it’s own start battery (or better still, a generator with it’s own start batteries and jumper cables) there is no reason not to maximize your combined start/house bank.
In future consider reducing house loads, (LED’s etc.) add decent battery monitoring/coulomb counters & solar depending on your budget.
Flatswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:40 PM   #11
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
There sure is an argument to have just the house batteries that do the start also. And a generator battery that could start the gen OR engine. With that set up you'd most likely get the best use of batteries.

Also, you could have a separate thruster battery that could back up the start also.

You really don't need a separate start battery, especially one for each engine. I have that with my new boat and feel it's a waste and gonna rework things.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:42 PM   #12
TF Site Team

I agree that many will disagree re what is the "best" batty bank arrangement. Sort of akin to the best anchor discussions.
Everyone should evaluate the +/- of the various arrangements and how they fit their style of cruising and tolerance for any upsets.
There is no tight or wrong way for all.
I'm happy to detail my choices and reasons why if anyone is interested. I havent posted my latest elec mods on my website but plan to as time permits.
Having a good monitoring system has added an increased level of info, understanding and confidence with my banks.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:26 AM   #13

City: Sioux Falls
Vessel Name: Positive Latitude
Vessel Model: Mainship 430
Our 2007 Mainship 430 has two 200ah house banks, each of which also starts one of the twin engines. It's not preffered to me, but I live with it. I do have a separate starter battery for the generator. To add starters for the engines, I would need 4 more batteries because we have a 24v set-up. And I would need to set-up charging for the additional 2 starter banks... It just hasn't made it to the project list.

Mark Rinkel
ourpositivelatitude.com
mrinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:07 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Curious. If the gen has a dedicated battery but engines share the house battery, why not share the gen battery with the engines instead.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:55 AM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Curious. If the gen has a dedicated battery but engines share the house battery, why not share the gen battery with the engines instead.
It`s better not to share the genset batt with anything. It`s back up to start the genset to recharge the main batts to get going when something has gone wrong.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:14 AM   #16

City: Sioux Falls
Vessel Name: Positive Latitude
Vessel Model: Mainship 430
I agree with BruceK about keeping the generator starter batteries (2 12v in series) dedicated to the task. It has bailed me out twice in the past when the house battery bank dropped too low. I've replaced the house batteries since then and have better battery management so it's not as much of an issue now... but it is a very good back-up.
mrinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:01 AM   #17
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Sums it all up nicely. No need to worry IF one happens to run down a larger battery bank because there are quite viable backup alternatives. But, aren't most, if not all of us, religious about making sure we do not deplete below 50% depth of discharge anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatswing View Post
It depends. Many prefer the separation of house & start batteries. On the other hand if you go over to the sister “cruisersForum” , u may find that most cruisers opt for 1 large bank of high AHr batteries serving both functions. If u have a generator with it’s own start battery (or better still, a generator with it’s own start batteries and jumper cables) there is no reason not to maximize your combined start/house bank.
In future consider reducing house loads, (LED’s etc.) add decent battery monitoring/coulomb counters & solar depending on your budget.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Cooper City
I have house batteries (4-6volt to make 12v), a single D8 to start motor and another battery for the generator. While sleeping over night with the lights and fan on it runs the battery down, I had to jump it this morning. I also found that my alternator is not working either..(currently have jumper cables running to the D8 until I reach KW). I can not run my DC Panel off the house batteries, only the D8. Is this common? I would much rather run off the house batteries and sleep better knowing the D8 is fine.
Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:49 AM   #19
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
I have house batteries (4-6volt to make 12v), a single D8 to start motor and another battery for the generator. While sleeping over night with the lights and fan on it runs the battery down, I had to jump it this morning. I also found that my alternator is not working either..(currently have jumper cables running to the D8 until I reach KW). I can not run my DC Panel off the house batteries, only the D8. Is this common? I would much rather run off the house batteries and sleep better knowing the D8 is fine.
It would help if you include boat make, model, year in your profile so we have better info.
I'm confused by your statement that your DC panel is not connected to the house battys?
Usually the 8D start batty is connected directly to starter and NOT to/ through the DC panel so what you describe sounds backwards?
Old 05-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #20

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
I can not run my DC Panel off the house batteries, only the D8.
If you can not do this, what are the house batteries used for?