Lower Helm Station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have done the same with cars as well.
Bill

I have done the same with cars as well.
Bill

Me too, never made a dime customizing jeeps but it was a hobby that kept me out of bars and jail as a young kid. Our little ole 45 year old boat was bought from a gentleman that just sunk $40,000+ into a refit. I payed less than 20 cents on the dollar and neither of us complained when we shook hands.

If your buying a boat to make money and are not an experienced full time yacht broker, you need to sit down with a financial advisor for about an hour and just listen.

My last build.
img_235596_0_df50d3625296c1a651276959b1697c8a.jpg

Me too, never made a dime customizing jeeps but it was a hobby that kept me out of bars and jail as a young kid. Our little ole 45 year old boat was bought from a gentleman that just sunk $40,000+ into a refit. I payed less than 20 cents on the dollar and neither of us complained when we shook hands.

If your buying a boat to make money and are not an experienced full time yacht broker, you need to sit down with a financial advisor for about an hour and just listen.

It's like people trying to financially justify their purchase of a new boat or car. I'm going to spend $40,000 because if I don't I'll be spending $10,000 on what I own now soon. I'm going to trade my 8 year old paid for Camry in on a new car because I'll get 5 mpg better gas mileage. Lets see. Save three cents a mile, spend $30,000. It will pay for itself in a million miles.

Outside of those in the business, no one buys boats as good investments. We buy them because we're addicted to the water. Just have to have it. And gadgets. Oh I do love gadgets. Think my boat's bad with gadgets, should see my kitchen at home.

I was coming back from a 2 night trip south of Savannah this morning on the icw and i noticed several northbound boats with nice bridges that were operating from the lower helm. I didnt understand why until i took a down wind turn. Horseflies. By the thousands. Bitting right thru my tee shirt.

South Jersey too!

On a skiff in SC we got attacked by horseflies. Found out if we put the bimini up, they were attracted to the warmth (apparently) and lighted there instead of on us (mostly). Later I looked up at the bimini and could see little specs of sunlight. Those buggers bit holes in a bimini!!

Also got attacked by smaller flies fishing offshore about 20miles. It was a dayboat so no closed pilothouse to escape to. Spent most of the time swatting with a towel, figuring it was a fixed population that far out. Apparently it was NOT a fixed population: the swarm kept increasing. Fish trip abandoned for that reason. I have no idea how they were getting that far out. Guess they were being carried by the wind, somehow.

Oh, and did I mention gnats??? nevermind...

Evil beasts with wings and teeth!!

I have a good friend that has almost put his printing business out for sale...he has a gas and makes more money buying and fixing up boats.

To say that it can't be done shows a lack of knowledge about the big picture of boating.

He keeps some for personal use and when the right time/buyer comes along sells for a handsome profit.

Not many normal "recreational owners" can ever do it...but like used anything...a good eye and a good mechanic can turn around certain ones...not many...but you have to have the knowledge of the business and market.

I have a good friend that has almost put his printing business out for sale...he has a gas and makes more money buying and fixing up boats.

To say that it can't be done shows a lack of knowledge about the big picture of boating.

He keeps some for personal use and when the right time/buyer comes along sells for a handsome profit.

Not many normal "recreational owners" can ever do it...but like used anything...a good eye and a good mechanic can turn around certain ones...not many...but you have to have the knowledge of the business and market.

I know of a man who does this regularly and, in his case, has a team of employees doing the work. He just buys opportunistically. Good used boat not for him. One with decent engines but horrible interior, his dream.

Then a man I just met. He loves half of it. He buys with the intent to sell but never does. He's now up to 40 cars and 12 boats.

It really depends on one's skill sets and most importantly how much one values their time. I think of at least one guy who spent a year or so fixing up a boat and "made money" on it….. around $2.50 an hour!

It really depends on one's skill sets and most importantly how much one values their time. I think of at least one guy who spent a year or so fixing up a boat and "made money" on it….. around $2.50 an hour!

True of any business, hobby or otherwise.....and also true of flipping any object.

If it was in the "black" that was my point that not all boat purchase and sales are in the red.

Some people think people working their whole life at regular jobs for under $20/hr are unsuccessful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom