Old 04-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Ft Myers
Vessel Name: Linda Lee
Vessel Model: 45' Aquarius motoryacht
Lost of all DC power

Today when I went to the boat I notice that all the DC was not working.
I check the main circuit breaker, it was good. The batteries are fully charged. My AC is working. All fusses are good.
The boat is a 45' 1990 Aquarius, with 2 30amp service, 3 12volt batteries.
Can figure it out, any ideas?

Henry
Linda Lee
hfmckevitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Check voltage at your batteries

Start at the begining, check battery voltage at your batteries , should have 13 +volts. Check for a inline fuse , should have one with in 18" of your positive terminal on your house bank. Check and see if house battery switch is on. Check voltage through the switch. Check your breaker panel for a master switch or breaker. Check for voltage to the panel . if you have a battery combiner or isolated confirm voltage in and out. You should find your problem.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
How did you determine the batteries are fully charged?
Did you check the battery switch?
Doe any continuity checks twixt batteries and main panel?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. hf. Before you go all nuts, check and clean your connections particularly your grounds. You can check with a meter AS you clean connections starting at the batteries.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Some boats have a breaker fuse close to the battery, and at the main power panel. Also check battery terminal.

True story

When we first bought the boat, changed fuel filter. Being a newby did not have about air in the fuel line. Well the diesel engine died. While cranking the engine lost the DC power. To make matters worse we were being blown into the lake Union police dock. We finally found the blown fuse but not a spare fuse. Well we did gey blown into the police dock, causing some excitement.

However the police where some what freindly and helpful got the boat started. Anyway that was our introduction to the lake union police.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
...check and clean your connections particularly your grounds.

Then start at the beginning (+ term) & verify V through a complete circuit.

Is this House DC - Eng Start DC or both?

Batt'y switches sometimes fail (open) operate sw several times & try different conditions. If Sw - I can probably find the link (w/ pics) of the poster that chased charging problem and finally found the problem in the 1-2-All - Off Sw

Also probably better to post this in Electrical, Electronic, Nav section vs here - maybe a Mod would move it if you asked?
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Follow a couple of the negative (black wires). Do they all connect through a bus (all connected to a metal bar)?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Great advice above. Agree with starting at battery voltage (not the leads...the battery posts) and working out from there with the leads, bus, fuses, sub-bus, etc.

I'd suspect a main ground also.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
My suggestion is a bit different.

Do not even think of taking anything apart for cleaning or otherwise. The reason is simple. Anything you do introduces the chance of error.

Troubleshoot the problem using a voltmeter. Start at the batteries, and work towards the panel.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
It sounds like a bad ground issue to me.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:52 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
My suggestion is a bit different.

Do not even think of taking anything apart for cleaning or otherwise. The reason is simple. Anything you do introduces the chance of error.

Troubleshoot the problem using a voltmeter. Start at the batteries, and work towards the panel.
I agree. If I was to start taking things apart to "fix" them. I would certainly screw things up. Follow the current and find the problem. You know it has to be someplace that affects the entire DC system. So I would start with the ground connection and make sure you have continuity back to the battery, then go from there out to the DC panel.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #12
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
It sounds like a bad ground issue to me.
Yep, everything is a bad ground issue.

There are two parts to a DC electrical circuit, positive and negative ("ground"). A fault in either will disconnect the circuit. Since the fuses, circuit breakers and switches are in the positive part of the circuit, it's naturally more likely that the fault is in the positive side.

To the OP: As has been suggested, start with the batteries, Check the voltage there, then follow the cables and check at every connection point, fuse, circuit breaker, etc. Don't take anything apart. Wiggle the cables at the connections to determine if they are loose.

I'm guessing that you have limited electrical skills or you wouldn't have posted here so if you can't figure this out yourself, bring in a pro. Don't make things worse by disconnecting or moving wires.

BTW: There should be a fuse (usually) or circuit breaker in the positive DC cable from the house batteries within a few inches or perhaps a couple of feet from the positive connection to the batteries. This will be a large fuse, a few hundred amps. Check this. Check the voltage to ground from each side of the fuse or circuit breaker. If none of your DC appliances work, the trouble is between the batteries and the DC circuit panel or the main DC breaker in the panel. Or the ground.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #13
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Yep, everything is a bad ground issue.
Well, at least you got that right.

But seriously, it could very well be a positive issue. But in my experience it's more often than not a ground problem.

Obviously you need to check both sides.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #14

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Check near your panel to see if there might be a regular old cartridge fuse or two with two 30A circuits. Pull fuse and check continuity. This might be the easiest first thing to look for.
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #15
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Regarding the cleaning of connections: I am NOT suggesting Mr. hf start disconnecting wiring willy-nilly. Taking one wire off at a time and cleaning the connecting surfaces well with either sandpaper or a wire brush, coating with a dielectric grease and reconnecting is NOT rocket science.

IMO this exercise will accomplish 2 things. One: It will provide more of a familiarity with the DC electrical system that Mr. hf will most definitely benefit from and two: It will perform what may be a delayed/forgotten/neglected maintenance issue. Both good things.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Well, at least you got that right.

But seriously, it could very well be a positive issue. But in my experience it's more often than not a ground problem.

Obviously you need to check both sides.
Come on Capt Bill.....

Just because all too many boats have the negative ground buss as 25 wires with various sized ring terminals to a 3/8 or 1/2 inch bolt in the bilge...doesn't mean it should automatically be suspect.

Then again...sometimes that's one of the best parts of boat electrical systems.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilge53 View Post
Check near your panel to see if there might be a regular old cartridge fuse or two with two 30A circuits. Pull fuse and check continuity. This might be the easiest first thing to look for.
Fuses for the DC power will be more like 300 amps, not 30 amps and located near the battery so as to protect the conductors feeding the panel.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #18
Guru

City: gulf coast
99% of the time the batteries are dead.

verify that is not the case before doing anything else
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
99% of the time the batteries are dead.

verify that is not the case before doing anything else
The OP posted that they were fully charged but you are correct, they should be checked. Checked with a volt meter and a load, not just open circuit.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #20

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
"Fuses for the DC power will be more like 300 amps, not 30 amps and located near the battery so as to protect the conductors feeding the panel."

# 2 finger missed a "0". Thanks
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote