looking for older auto pilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianG

Getting close to closing on a 29' Trawler. Years ago I had a sportfisher with a electric compassing unit connected to a 12v motor which was in turn chained up to a sprocket on the steering wheel shaft. Simple and bullet proof. That type doesn't seem to be made any more. Everything looks hydraulic. Sounds hard to install. Are there any manufacturers still making the old style? Any info or pointers or links are greatly appreciated. Couldnt find much on google.

Last edited:
If you can identify by make and model, eBay might have older stuff. There's also the used seller in Texas whose name I can't think of right now.

Greg

Take a look for an old Simrad or Navico WheelPilot. I have a WP 5000 on my 34 LRC. It's not perfect but it works.

Attachments

• wheel chrome.jpg
    wheel chrome.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Most likely Wood-Freeman. There were many thousands in use in the 1970s. I had a model 15 on my fishing boat. It was old when I bought the boat and still going when I sold it. WF closed about 2014. But parts of the site are still active. Parts are often on eBay. There are companies that repair and sell parts. Picture is basic setup. Motor unit has a clutch and handle to disengage. If I was going to buy one I'd try to find a model 500. More control.

Metal Marine Pilot, Inc. | Model 500 Series |
https://www.presleysautomotive.com/About-Us/Marine-Autopilots
Metal Marine Pilot, Inc. |Products|

Attachments

• 15layout.gif
    15layout.gif
    30 KB · Views: 237
If the trawler you are looking at has hydraulic steering, it is a super simple install. I can't imagine using anything else on a vessel already equipped with hydraulic steering... JMO

If the trawler you are looking at has hydraulic steering, it is a super simple install. I can't imagine using anything else on a vessel already equipped with hydraulic steering... JMO
She's a repro, so has cables on pulleys

The is a company, CPT autopilot, that still makes a simple belt drive unit similar to what you are describing. Otherwise the Wood Freeman unit mentioned earlier is the most popular of that style and still has decent availability of used parts.

Getting close to closing on a 29' Trawler. Years ago I had a sportfisher with a electric compassing unit connected to a 12v motor which was in turn chained up to a sprocket on the steering wheel shaft. Simple and bullet proof. That type doesn't seem to be made any more. Everything looks hydraulic. Sounds hard to install. Are there any manufacturers still making the old style? Any info or pointers or links are greatly appreciated. Couldnt find much on google.

Raymarine sells a chain drive motor that will work with their newer autopilots. Best of both worlds.

https://www.mygreenoutdoors.com/ray...nGb0M0msrhYTZ505eDP8nZurS2-6ncbBoC2ZgQAvD_BwE

What electronics are you going to use ? I'd try and use the same make autopilot.

FWIW you could look at the Raymarine Wheelpilot.

Do periodic seaches for "Raytheon Autohelm 3000". It was a belt driven helm autopilot. Used one for 5 years on my charter boat. There currently isn't a complete one on Ebay or elsewhere, but they do turn up. Really simple and work surprisingly well.

Ted

I have used CPT. Awesome sales and service on a proven company. ~$2000 and an hour to install.

When I did my upgrade we used Garmin electronics including the autopilot. My GB 42 utilizes a chain and sprocket arrangement you describe. We retained the original drive motor that is an old school cast iron monster, but bullet proof. We send drive commands to the old motor via a relay. It works great in my application and saved a bunch of money by retaining a good portion of the old system. It sounds like you don’t have an existing drive system so perhaps an Autohelm would be a good solution for you.

Most boats are hyd steering today as it is simpler / cheaper to install.

If it dies on a trip, you get to find out if an emergency tiller was included with the boat.

The chain and cable can usually be repaired anywhere in the world.

If you are lucky enough to have a chain & cable the CPT has been the king of systems for decades.

When I did my upgrade we used Garmin electronics including the autopilot. My GB 42 utilizes a chain and sprocket arrangement you describe. We retained the original drive motor that is an old school cast iron monster, but bullet proof. We send drive commands to the old motor via a relay. It works great in my application and saved a bunch of money by retaining a good portion of the old system. It sounds like you don’t have an existing drive system so perhaps an Autohelm would be a good solution for you.

Do you have any more info (part numbers and how you wired it?) on this you could send via PM? I have the goliath sized chain driver still on my 1979 MT, but none of the other equipment. Would love to keep and use it.

Interesting. I actually do have an old Autohelm Type 1. Came off my Angelman Sea Witch. Don't know if it even works. I didn't realize you can mix and match. Ithink this is the unit I have in storage https://www.mygreenoutdoors.com/ray...MIxPG2mNOG6AIVbgH5AB1NkgOrEAEYASACEgJ6ffD_BwE So this can be adapted to another brain? I also still have the chain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom