Old 04-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

City: Panama City Beach
Looking for new autopilot

My old B&G autopilot bit the dust today, it has been on it's way out for sometime. It is a old unit no support from B & G.
I'm thinking about the Garmin autopilot because I have had good luck and like the Garmin chartpotters. Just starting looking today and knew someone here has had every kind of autopilot known to man and know the good and bad.
This is for my President 37'
fishpcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Lots of earlier posts on autopilots and just as many opinions. I have Comnav and it works well in my application.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Have little experience other than searching, talking and getting ideas. So I'd be glad to hear comments from others.

However what I'v found....
Raymarine has an excellent reputation, but their chart plotters and other items have been behind for awhile, but perhaps with FLIR purchasing them could turn out great. The jury is still out. (nice to have the AP match the other stuff).

Garmin is relatively new in APs, and is more expensive. I've heard good for the most part... buy not totally sure.

Comnav has excellent reputation, but comments indicate it's older technology, and, of course, it's made in Canada, if thats an issue for some folks.

Keep the comments coming.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post

Raymarine has an excellent reputation, but their chart plotters and other items have been behind for awhile, but perhaps with FLIR purchasing them could turn out great. The jury is still out..
Not sure where you got that impression as Raymarine's chart plotters and other items are state of the art today. Your comment would be correct if you were referring to Raymarine's products of 15-20 years ago. Not today, however.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:55 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Not sure where you got that impression as Raymarine's chart plotters and other items are state of the art today. Your comment would be correct if you were referring to Raymarine's products of 15-20 years ago. Not today, however.
My comments on Raymarine are from electronics installers, users, brokers and Raymarine... Yes, they admitted they were behind the 8 ball until the FLIR acquisition, but positive. Over the past several years a lot of installers dropped their Ray dealerships. But that "may" be over. I don't know.

No personal experience, except when I had a C80 in a Formula cruiser and was a POS, with poor support.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:15 AM   #6

I would like to stay with Garmin. I'm trying to decide now on the model to buy. A lot of good reads on the forum about all kinds of autopilots but I have a Garmin chart plotter so trying to keep the same.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:26 AM   #7
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Its nice having an interface from your chart plotter to the AP. I have Garmin chart plotter and Raymarine AP, mostly because of the cost at the time, Simrad was the leader (at the time) but quite a bit more. Have the Raymarine AP now for 17 years and always worked great, but I'm sure many others do as well.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
Its nice having an interface from your chart plotter to the AP. I have Garmin chart plotter and Raymarine AP, mostly because of the cost at the time, Simrad was the leader (at the time) but quite a bit more. Have the Raymarine AP now for 17 years and always worked great, but I'm sure many others do as well.
Marlin,
Does the Ray AP work well with the Garmin? Do you have the MFD that will auto-route and will the AP follow it?

I like the reputation of the Ray AP, and is more reasonable than Garmins. But like the Garmin charts and MFDs, and not a big fan of Navionics (for Ray).
Old 04-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #9
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Yes, interfaced with NMEA 0183, which is a basic serial communication, not a lot of data is being past other then course to steer. When I come up to my way point and beeps on chart plotter to the next waypoint, I have to accept that in the AP, it won't just jump to the new one without confirmation. But while on course its always correcting.

Hope that answers it...

Quote:
Marlin,
Does the Ray AP work well with the Garmin? Do you have the MFD that will auto-route and will the AP follow it?

I like the reputation of the Ray AP, and is more reasonable than Garmins. But like the Garmin charts and MFDs, and not a big fan of Navionics (for Ray).
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
Yes, interfaced with NMEA 0183, which is a basic serial communication, not a lot of data is being past other then course to steer. When I come up to my way point and beeps on chart plotter to the next waypoint, I have to accept that in the AP, it won't just jump to the new one without confirmation. But while on course its always correcting.

Hope that answers it...

MarlinMike,
So it will follow an autoroute, but needs to be acknowledge at wpt changes. Not all bad, thx.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #11
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
comnav are bullet proof APs'. As are most others. I don't think anybody builds "Bad" electronics today...some are just better than others.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
comnav are bullet proof APs'. As are most others. I don't think anybody builds "Bad" electronics today...some are just better than others.
Sailor,

Probably true, BUT sometimes a manufacturer comes out with a dud for whatever reason. And buyers really want to know which the better ones are, myself included.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:15 PM   #13
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
MarlinMike,
So it will follow an autoroute, but needs to be acknowledge at wpt changes. Not all bad, thx.
In Simrad autopilots, there is a user defined limit for the allowed automatic course change to next waypoint in a route. If the course change is more
than this set limit, you are prompted to verify that the upcoming course change is acceptable.

If the required course change to the next waypoint is less than the course change limit, the autopilot will automatically change the course.

If the required course change to next waypoint is more than the set limit, you are prompted to verify that the upcoming course change is acceptable. If the turn is not accepted, the vessel will continue with the current set heading.

The course change limit is determined by the course computer model, but mine have been adjustable from 10° to 30°.

In my new boat, I am in the process of installing a Garmin autopilot which can be engaged from the connected Garmin Chartplotters/MFS's. If G2 Vision cards are installed, the autopilot can also follow "Guide To" instructions in addition to "Routes" and "Waypoints". They are very tightly integrated with the rest of the Garmin suite. Course changes are accomplished without operator confirmation.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 PM   #14

City: Camarillo
I have a good used auto pilot i just took off a boat

I have a good used auto pilot I just took off a boat.

Fairly new & works great.

Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:50 AM   #15

What kind?
Old 04-13-2017, 04:59 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamike View Post
I have a good used auto pilot I just took off a boat.

Fairly new & works great.

Mike
Yes would like to know what kind, and if good, why did you remove it?
Old 04-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #17

City: Camarillo
Post A/P

I believe it was a "Simrad" brand.

I will have to look at what the model # is.

I had gotten the Bigger pump option with it & it works quite well.

I took it off a boat I am selling, as that was part of the deal we made for the price I sold the old boat at. So the A/P was not included in the sale at that price point of agreed selling price, as the buyer & I came to a compromise on the price he wanted to pay & we agreed to this in the deal with the new buyer. So that boat was sold recently w/o it's A/P.

I liked it so much, I took it off to keep it & as I was planning on using it in the future when I decided what to do with some of my future boat projects & a new trend I just started of trying to do some narrowing down of my fleet to just one boat & then equipping it accordingly. Now I have done that. The one boat I am keeping by chance already has a "Furuno" A/P in it. So now this A/P becomes excess to my needs & I thought I would sell as it is now an extra one.

So now I have two A/P's & only 1 boat.

Was also possibly thinking about putting it in as a back up to the one that is already installed & what I have now, but when I saw your post I just piped in that I had one & would be willing to sell it .

So that is the short story version of the long story that gets longer & is to long to post.

Thanks.

Alfa Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamike View Post
I believe it was a "Simrad" brand.

I will have to look at what the model # is.

I had gotten the Bigger pump option with it & it works quite well.

I took it off a boat I am selling, as that was part of the deal we made for the price I sold the old boat at. So the A/P was not included in the sale at that price point of agreed selling price, as the buyer & I came to a compromise on the price he wanted to pay & we agreed to this in the deal with the new buyer. So that boat was sold recently w/o it's A/P.

I liked it so much, I took it off to keep it & as I was planning on using it in the future when I decided what to do with some of my future boat projects & a new trend I just started of trying to do some narrowing down of my fleet to just one boat & then equipping it accordingly. Now I have done that. The one boat I am keeping by chance already has a "Furuno" A/P in it. So now this A/P becomes excess to my needs & I thought I would sell as it is now an extra one.

So now I have two A/P's & only 1 boat.

Was also possibly thinking about putting it in as a back up to the one that is already installed & what I have now, but when I saw your post I just piped in that I had one & would be willing to sell it .

So that is the short story version of the long story that gets longer & is to long to post.

Thanks.

Alfa Mike

So it is for sale?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #19

City: Nederland
Vessel Name: Just The Two Of Us
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Before giving up on the B&G try Myleselectronics.com. They work on older B&G equipment.
Hicecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicecil View Post
Before giving up on the B&G try Myleselectronics.com. They work on older B&G equipment.
I will give them a shot.
Thanks